Best car battery and strategies for Florida heat.

shurur

Established Member
I've done some research.
Apparently there are only three battery mfgrs left: Exide, Johnson Controls and East Penn.

The East Penn Deka gets high marks, others are saying just get a 5 year warranty and replace it for free after three years...and wonder how that works with getting it checked regularly and documenting its history...

Both the Mustang and the Audi have 2009 batteries......

The Mustang battery has been drained twice because the car just sat in the heat.
It needed a boost this last time that I came down here for good.

What do you folks do about batteries?
I don't like the idea of buying a new battery every 2-3 years..

Thanks

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I use a duralast red top in the Cobra, always on a floating battery tender in my garage..
Sounds like you have something drawing current when the car is turned off..

shurur

Established Member
I use a duralast red top in the Cobra, always on a floating battery tender in my garage..
Sounds like you have something drawing current when the car is turned off..

Next to this last time it sat 9+ months nothing attached...but in the heat with no one starting her. This last time was a year+ with the phone charger plugged into the lighter. The battery is a 2009...

A tender is a no go. I live in a apt complex. No more working on my own car either.

Thanks.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Unhook the battery cables. Why in the world is a car sitting for 1 year? What about putting it in a storage shed?? Then it will be out of sun and could hook up a batt charger....

shurur

Established Member
Unhook the battery cables. Why in the world is a car sitting for 1 year? What about putting it in a storage shed?? Then it will be out of sun and could hook up a batt charger....

Storage was not an option, car had cover.
Someone was going to start it once in a while..but never did...

Battery cells full but for one cell that was down 3/4".

Living in an apt complex. Storage not an option.
Wish I could, then I could work on it too.

I can keep it covered though.

Will probably get a battery booster....maybe a tester.

And now that I'm in FL full time, I can drive her on weekends..but ythe batteries are both 2009.

Still..as I understand it, batteries last only about three years for folks in my situation..

I'm looking for a new battery and strategies going forward.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I have been buying my batteries at Costco.

Instant cash refund at any time before the end of the third year. At the return desk. No questions asked.

Then just go over to the auto dept and get another.

YJSONLY

Established Member
With heat the water level will dissipate. I wonder how a gel cell would hold up? Issue here is price.

Triscrum

Established Member
If your not driving it often I would take the battery out when not in use and put it on a tender inside. That's what I do for the Montana winters they really take a toll on batteries also

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I get Sears Diehard Platinums for my jeeps. AGM and hold their charge for forever. 5 year replacement warranty too.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Batteries here last about 3 years in my DD's, and you can almost count on them crapping out at that time frame. No hint, they just die.

MFE

Established Member
It's not the ambient heat all by itself that gets them, it's driving them in the heat, especially if you're idling a lot. With the A/C going and the fans running, the charging systems often can't quite hold up, so the batteries provide the crutch until the engine speed comes up again and the charging systems can run on their own. The frequent charge/discharge cycling is what gets them over time.

rktsci25

Established Member
I put a redtop in mine a little over a year ago and haven't had any issues, before that I had an autocraft silver from advance that lasted a little over 3 years IIRC. I'm going to be a bit tweaked if my redtop fails at 3 years, then again I don't have A/C so I should get more time.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
yeah straight heat isn't the killer. It's the high underhood temps while driving plus the strain of a overloaded charging system.

I have a redtop that is over 6 years old and works every day. If you're gonna park for awhile pull the battery and put it on a tender. Gotta keep the chemical reaction going somehow.

_Snake_

Established Member
Another vote for the Diehard Platinums. They've outlasted every other battery I've had in my F-250, which includes Motorcraft, Interstate, and Optimas.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I buy something with a 3 year full warranty and pro-rated after that, 3 years is what you get out of most batteries down here.

I went through quite a few red tops under the warranty, I wont buy another anytime soon, if ever

Users who are viewing this thread