Best brake pads for minimal dust

GT/CS-08

Established Member
I own a 2014 GT500 and have been doing a little research around changing the front brake pads out in order to reduce the amount of brake dust. I only use the car for weekend drives and the occasional car show and the amount of front brake dust after just a 15 minute drive is crazy. With that said, it seems most members either switched the pads out for Autozone CMax Gold ceramic pads or carbotech ceramic pads. I am looking for input regarding who switched to what pad and do you really see a significant difference in the front brake dust with the changeout pads.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Teddy O

Established Member
I believe the Carbotechs are really your only option for a low dust ceramic.

Unless AutoZone recently corrected this problem, the front pads they sell for our '13-'14 cars don't fit as they are actually for '10-'12, but incorrectly listed as fitting '10-'14. If you're searching around, you'll find the '10-'12 guys talking about their Cmax Gold pads, but not '13-'14 guys.

Same exact problem with Advanced Auto Parts' premium ceramic front pads, they don't fit the car, the fitment years are incorrect.

Hawk has ceramic front pads for the '13-'14, but they're actually for a Lexus LFA or something like that, and while they fit, they are smaller than the OEM pad.

I have the Carbotech 1521's. The dust is far less, and the low-speed squeak is gone. Very happy thus far.

All of this information was correct as of my last brake pad research about 6 months ago. I hope I'm not giving you any false info.

Being as our cars were only produced for 2 yrs, it seems that some simple year-specific items can be hard to come by. Good luck!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Been on Carbotechs for a few thousand miles and the dust is significantly less and they are quiet. They were expensive but well worth it.

Tom

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
+3 for the Carbotechs. I've been on them maybe 15-20k with no problems and significantly reduced brake dust. Worth the price imo.

Teddy O

Established Member
I'm running the Ceramics from Autozone. I've had them on since August. They reduced dust quite a bit.

Cool, Autozone must have made some corrections with this. When I got Autozone pads for my car they handed me pads for a non-Brembo GT. It was a little funny.

36382mm

Established Member
I have the porterfield racing pads from Van, they definitely produce less dust BUT I feel like I lost actual braking performance. Anyone with carbotech feel like they lost some performance?

GT/CS-08

Established Member
Guys--Thanks for the input so far. I have a couple quick questions hopefully you can help answer:
1). I have read the Carbotech's are red, not black. Is this still the case?
2). Do you know the exact Autozone Pad you are using? I looked up a pad called "Duralast Max" Ceramic part #DGC1464? Just want to confirm that is the best Pad?
3). I looked up a Pad on Advanced Auto Parts called "Carquest wearever Gold" Ceramic part #GNAD1666? Is anyone using these pads?

Thanks again for the input guys!

djniknala

Established Member
Guys--Thanks for the input so far. I have a couple quick questions hopefully you can help answer:
2). Do you know the exact Autozone Pad you are using? I looked up a pad called "Duralast Max" Ceramic part #DGC1464? Just want to confirm that is the best Pad?
3). I looked up a Pad on Advanced Auto Parts called "Carquest wearever Gold" Ceramic part #GNAD1666? Is anyone using these pads?

Just looked up what I bought and it was from Advanced. They were the GNAD1666 for the front. The rears are the GNAD1465. These Wearever Golds are much lower dust than the factory pads and don't squeak. I'm a drag racer and daily drive the car. For the price and lower brake dust these are a highly recommended buy.

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member

The Carbotechs are red but I painted them black with some high temp paint and it's good to go.
I have the porterfield racing pads from Van, they definitely produce less dust BUT I feel like I lost actual braking performance. Anyone with carbotech feel like they lost some performance?
Nope, I remember feeling I picked up some performance. Recently when I changed my rotors I expected more bite but was surprised when I lost braking efficiency. I ground the pads a little bit to remove any possible ridges from the previous rotors and got my braking power back. I've been very happy with the pads. If I ever do a track day I'll put my stock pads back on just for that.

Imatk

Established Member
I have the Carbotechs and am happy with them, but they ARE expensive.

Probably because they're one of the only pads that fit our calipers (unless something has changed).

Mine were red, but you can't see the metal once installed... but I painted my calipers red anyway so I didn't care.

IMO there is slightly reduced braking.

I've actually found that anytime I've gone to a ceramic pad. The initial bite just isn't as good... I'm guessing because they aren't as soft... this is strictly speaking on the street... the track is a different story.

Anyway... they perform very well and I'm very happy with them.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
Hey Cman, when I was looking for a ceramic pad I looked at the Centric brand but I think they must not have had them yet or something?

Anyway, I've run Centric before in other setups and been happy with them... do they have the proper dimensions as the OEM pad or are they slightly smaller?

Thanks for the info.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Imatk, the front pads for our cars are the same size as OE from Centric. I had pics up of their pads after I bought them but with the server move of this MB to their current setup I don't know if they are still up or not.

Try a search under my username if you can't find them I'll dig up some pics and put them back up again.

edit: I found this shot (snapped 2 years ago) after I did my powder coated calipers and MM CC plates and test fit my yet to be installed at the time Forgeline wheels. The rotor I put on and the pads are the Centric stuff I run now on the street. Hard to see but the pad is OE size.

25kommh.jpg

If you want a full res shot to better see the brake pad PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
Awesome man thanks, I just wanted to confirm... I remember reading that the swept area on one of the offered pads (not the Centric) was actually smaller and they weren't any pads that would be OEM size besides stock, Carbotech and I think maybe the Porterfield pads.

This was a while ago though so I don't think too many suppliers even had pads for the 2013.

Paying 200 bucks for brake pads was just... crazy so I'm glad to know I can get some cheaper pads when the time comes.

Your calipers look friggin awesome BTW :)

Users who are viewing this thread