Best aftermarket Alternator option for 2013-14 GT500

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Im looking into upgrading my alternator and the options available are J2 Fab, Nations and PA Performance. What have you guys used with the best results in your shelby? Stock puts out about 94 amps @ 700 rpm and 156 amps @6000 rpm. My current setup is only in need of something in the 200 amp range. Im also aware that my cables will need to be upgraded. This is what Ive found so far.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Im looking into upgrading my alternator and the options available are J2 Fab, Nations and PA Performance. What have you guys used with the best results in your shelby? Stock puts out about 94 amps @ 700 rpm and 156 amps @6000 rpm. My current setup is only in need of something in the 200 amp range. Im also aware that my cables will need to be upgraded. This is what Ive found so far.

Is this a required repair, or a desired upgrade? If the former, I completely understand the desire to upgrade. If the latter, may I ask what's driving the desire?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Is this a required repair, or a desired upgrade? If the former, I completely understand the desire to upgrade. If the latter, may I ask what's driving the desire?
My motive behind my last two posts (Batt relocation Kit and Ceramic Brakes) have to do with weight reduction/ weight balance plan. Unlike most, alot of ppl prefer upgrading the horsepower in these cars which is not a bad thing. Im satisfied with were im at horsepower wise as the car sits. It will only be a street/show car. One of the biggest problems with these cars is putting the power down and handling. Its because of the weight balance of the cars 56/44 front back ratio. I see no point in having a 1000 rwhp car if it cant put the power to the ground. The widebody really helps but even @760 rwhp 1st and 2nd are unpredictable coming out of the hole hard. So the car is going back to shelby for the antihop upgrade and my plan to shed some weight and relocate some weight to rear for a better weight balance ratio. Im hoping to accomplish a more tamed and predictable shelby when I really want to launch her hard. So, im mind set on relocating my battery to the trunk. Unfortunately these cars are voltage sensitive. I need to upgrade my alternator, cables to minimize any electrical issues that might pop up.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m paying attention to your alternator choice as I’ll eventually upgrade mine. Sooner if the aftermarket ECU needs it.
On the traction, what rear tires?
-J

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I get it, but I don’t get it. That’s a heck of a mod for what seems like very minimal weight distribution concerns/gains on something less than a full out strip car. JMO opinion.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m paying attention to your alternator choice as I’ll eventually upgrade mine. Sooner if the aftermarket ECU needs it.
On the traction, what rear tires?
-J
The worst thing about the SS widebody option. Not much of a tire option!! Currently Michelin Pilot Super Sport 345/30ZR/20 REAR. I could go to Cup 2'S Only other option I know is maybe 17x11 WELDS and Some mickey thompson ET R'S 305 45 17. Im not sure I really want to go that route thou might be resonable when I just want to go out and play.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I get it, but I don’t get it. That’s a heck of a mod for what seems like very minimal weight distribution concerns/gains on something less than a full out strip car. JMO opinion.
Its just one of many things Im going to do to try and better the weight issue in my SS. Just the battery relocation kit alone will redistribute 30-35lbs from the frontend to the rearend were its needed the most. Watson Racing who built the cobra jets for ford specializes in weight reduction. Im going to be working with them along with SAI on solutions. It can get pretty expensive shedding and balance vehicle weight. But I also believe reducing weight is just as good as building a higher end motor. Its an equalizer!!

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The worst thing about the SS widebody option. Not much of a tire option!! Currently Michelin Pilot Super Sport 345/35ZR/20 REAR. I could go to Cup 2'S Only other option I know is maybe 17x11 WELDS and Some mickey thompson ET R'S 305 45 17. Im not sure I really want to go that route thou might be resonable when I just want to go out and play.
I've seen a 17 or 18 inch weld on a Shelby1000 widebody, looks like a solid setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220127-000930_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220127-000930_Instagram.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen a 17 or 18 inch weld on a Shelby1000 widebody, looks like a sold setup.
Thanks (y) for the pic and video!! It looks better than what I imagined on a widebody. Ironically those are the exact same rims I was looking at 3 piece forged S77 weld rims. There Bad ass!

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
I read the post and concluded there is no reason to spend money on an alternator. Unless you just want to showoff that new alternator at a cars and coffee. Stay stock alternator. Carbon brakes and battery relocation are going to provide negligible results too. Again, look cool popping trunk at the cars and coffee but will those mods provide weight transfer results that can be felt? Probably not.

Losing weight in a GT500 is very expensive. You can probably get down to 3600lbs but it'll be nearly a racecar feel at that point.

If you actually care about weight transfer, I'd find an actual race company that specializes in suspension geometry. SAI is good for overcharging older folks that like car shows.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Thanks (y) for the pic and video!! It looks better than what I imagined on a widebody. Ironically those are the exact same rims I was looking at 3 piece forged S77 weld rims. There Bad ass!

I love those rims. I have polished classics on my car but want a drag setup and that will be what I get.

Glad I saw that pic as my car is MG so it’s a good representation.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I read the post and concluded there is no reason to spend money on an alternator. Unless you just want to showoff that new alternator at a cars and coffee. Stay stock alternator. Carbon brakes and battery relocation are going to provide negligible results too. Again, look cool popping trunk at the cars and coffee but will those mods provide weight transfer results that can be felt? Probably not.

Losing weight in a GT500 is very expensive. You can probably get down to 3600lbs but it'll be nearly a racecar feel at that point.

If you actually care about weight transfer, I'd find an actual race company that specializes in suspension geometry. SAI is good for overcharging older folks that like car shows.
Thanks for the input @Turbo98GT. Shedding weight off a GT500 is challenging! I have no desire to make it a race car and NVH is a big concern. Im just trying to make some improvements, if possible! Suspension geometry is another place to go to improve weight transfer to put the power down.......agreed! But with all due respect I disagree that battery relocation kit,ceramic brakes along with other weight reduction solutions will not contribute or at minimum help. Just between the batt relo kit and ceramic brakes you dropped 50lbs and moved an additional 35lbs to the rear. Thats an improvement at best for a street car!

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed, the S77 is my favorite wheel from Weld. And they're stupid lightweight. That particular Shelby1000 actually gets used like it's supposed to.
Thanks for the input @Turbo98GT. Shedding weight off a GT500 is challenging! I have no desire to make it a race car and NVH is a big concern. Im just trying to make some improvements, if possible! Suspension geometry is another place to go to improve weight transfer to put the power down.......agreed! But with all due respect I disagree that battery relocation kit,ceramic brakes along with other weight reduction solutions will not contribute or at minimum help. Just between the batt relo kit and ceramic brakes you dropped 50lbs and moved an additional 35lbs to the rear. Thats an improvement at best for a street car!
I would look into a tubular k member and maybe the matching front lower control arms, they will take a good amount of weight off the front end. Also whenever you change your clutch out that will make a big difference. The OEM clutch was 58 pounds and my spec SS clutch weights 38 pounds.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed, the S77 is my favorite wheel from Weld. And they're stupid lightweight. That particular Shelby1000 actually gets used like it's supposed to.

I would look into a tubular k member and maybe the matching front lower control arms, they will take a good amount of weight off the front end. Also whenever you change your clutch out that will make a big difference. The OEM clutch was 58 pounds and my spec SS clutch weights 38 pounds.
Thanks! Im also looking into what you mentioned. Just concerned about NVH. It will all add up to IMPROVEMENT IMO. Although I dont plan to track my car on a regular basis I will absolutely use it for what its intended..... MY SS will not be a garage or trailer queen. Im driving it to enjoy it!! It would be pointless to own otherwise.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks! Im also looking into what you mentioned. Just concerned about NVH. It will all add up to IMPROVEMENT IMO. Although I dont plan to track my car on a regular basis I will absolutely use it for what its intended..... MY SS will not be a garage or trailer queen. Im driving it to enjoy it!! It would be pointless to own otherwise.
I don't think a tubular k member will cause a lot of extra NVH, I know all the Shelby1000s get them, along with a lot of unique suspension parts.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think a tubular k member will cause a lot of extra NVH, I know all the Shelby1000s get them, along with a lot of unique suspension parts.
I believe your correct! The shelby 1000 has a SAI K member with no NVH issues. The suspension upgrade pkg that the shelby 1000 has is exact same suspension upgrade im getting when I send my car back to shelby this coming fall (Antihop Pkg) I already have the watts link and it does help. This pkg should help with stabilty and launching.

Shelby Super Snake Upgrade.jpg

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe your correct! The shelby 1000 has a SAI K member with no NVH issues. The suspension upgrade pkg that the shelby 1000 has is exact same suspension upgrade im getting when I send my car back to shelby this coming fall (Antihop Pkg) I already have the watts link and it does help. This pkg should help with stabilty and launching.

View attachment 1735840
That's the package to go with IMO, it makes the super snake perfect and you get Cams, The only big difference in the Shelby1000 is they put a 9 inch in those, and obviously the built engine.

Users who are viewing this thread