best 4g alternator?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
not interested in giving any more of these little guys a chance, pissed away too much money as it is. I'll only consider reputable alternator shops (mechan, pa perf etc). Alt from the first shop wouldn't keep up at idle, this one was ok most of the time but just took a dump in under 1k miles, I was lucky to get home (thought I kept catching a whiff of something odd, then thought the screen on my aeroforce was going, turns out 11volts will do that).

Maybe I'll just go back to a motorcraft reman or something.

Car has:
dual 340lph pumps, misc gauges and 1k watt stereo so nothing too crazy and not like Im pushing that full tilt all the time either. I went back to a stock fan so power consumption should be way down.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member

Been running that for the last 300 miles roughly. Swapped out the pulley and put a 3.2 on it even with the stock lower. Also have a battery relocation with bigger cables. Dont know how much help that was but it hasn't died on me yet. Proper voltage at idle and full throttle.

Light flickered one night on me but that's because one of the nuts holding the cable end came a little loose.

Will never pay the astronomical amount of money some of those other shops charge just to have it fail and have a paperweight.

Bigger pumps is the only thing I have from what you listed.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im thinking about throwing a stock replacement on it like that if nothing else to compare voltage output at idle. I assume this will get fixed and sent back to me then gotta decide if I wanna run it or not...will probably let it sit on the bench until it's belt time again (procharger so not too long lol)

I did buy a cheapish amp-clamp so I know the actual output at idle

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I bought a RockAuto special in case my J2Fab 170a dies. I’m not into spending $500 either. Fool me once…

For now it’s been flawless. I only have dual 450s. Stock radio, stock cooling fan, etc….

FIREBALL

Established Member

Been running that for the last 300 miles roughly. Swapped out the pulley and put a 3.2 on it even with the stock lower. Also have a battery relocation with bigger cables. Dont know how much help that was but it hasn't died on me yet. Proper voltage at idle and full throttle.
Amazon is showing this Bosch posted is for 01-04 mustangs, but at the same time it says it doesnt fit my 2001 mustang????

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Amazon is showing this Bosch posted is for 01-04 mustangs, but at the same time it says it doesnt fit my 2001 mustang????
I dunno what terminator alternators look like but that is NOT an NA 2v/4v alternator which has two feet that sit on bolts kinda like studs with 2 mounting ears on top (Machs have 4 up top for the shaker bracket)

Edit: I dunno wtf I was thinking, the shaker bracket has 4 mounting holes but it’s using two on the intake and 2 on the alternator

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is your current alternator from a company with 3 letters? What about throwing a new regulator in it? That's usually what goes out.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
who would have thought it getting it bench tested would be that difficult...
autozone - doesnt know how to use the machine
Oreilly's #1 - machine broken
Oreilly's #2 - doesn't have the right hold down stud to fit the alternator

guess we'll try again tonight.

and I was looking at crown vic alternators - looks like the 2V alternators are much longer and don't see how they would clear the intake on a 4v.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I wanted to get one of my alternators bench tested just to make sure the new regulator was working. First place didn't have the adapter. Second place was totally lost because what I had didn't match the picture. I said it was an upgraded unit. He tried to say he needed to know what the internals are so he knows how to test it. I said if it puts out 12vdc it's good. That's all I need. He stared at his computer another minute then I grabbed the alternator and walked out. I made some comment about it must be hard to look for a 12.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I dunno what terminator alternators look like but that is NOT an NA 2v/4v alternator which has two feet that sit on bolts kinda like studs with 2 mounting ears on top (Machs have 4 up top for the shaker bracket)

Edit: I dunno wtf I was thinking, the shaker bracket has 4 mounting holes but it’s using two on the intake and 2 on the alternator

Ive had that exact alternator on my car for two years now but I'm Eaton swapped. It's a terminator or v6 alternator. They're the same besides the pulley.

I may have my stock one in the garage with 55k miles on it. I'm in the process of moving but if I find it you can have it for whatever it costs to ship.

Users who are viewing this thread