Beretta Compact 9mm question. Should I wait for new Compact Carry coming in August?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm looking to buy my first pistol, and the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact is at the top of my list. However, last month Beretta announced a new model called the Storm PX4 Compact Carry, expected to be available late summer. Here's a link to the announcement. And here's a list of the improvements and upgrades.
* new slide stop lever and manual safety levers are low profile for less snagging
* new controls sit nearly flush with the pistol’s frame, but are still easily manipulated by the shooter
* slide is slimmer and more low-profile as well
* added a Cerakote gray finish bringing a new and popular look to the PX4, while adding excellent corrosion resistance
* new Talon Grips are easy to apply and provide superior gripping power
* switch to an Ameriglo orange front sight; the color contrast allows for faster target acquisition with the front sight
* plated the critical trigger group and internal parts making the action much smoother
* the springs were also coated to improve performance

I'm a newb as far as pistols, so I'm looking for comments relative to the improvements/changes. If they're important, I will hold out for the release this summer. Doesn't make sense for me to buy a CC pistol now only to sell it in the summer, unless the changes are of lesser importance. Based on what I've read, it would seem that the wait might be worth it.

Thanks for your help.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I have a Beretta 92A1. It's a full size 9mm with rail for accessories. Comfortable, well balanced, reliable. My friend has a PX4 Storm, and I love it also. It's about as reliable as you can get.

Really you should try a gun out before you buy it -- especially since this is your first.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Obvious answer. Buy them both haha

EDIT: I just purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 40. I love it. It's cheap and a great carry gun.

96dreamer

Established Member
as others have said you definitely want to shoot it. I went shooting a few weeks ago trying out ccw pistols. Went in with the mindset i wanted a glock 43 and left after shooting about 10 guns knowing i was going to get the ruger lc9s.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
My daily carry is a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact .40 during fall/winter months. I absolutely love it. It eats any ammo I throw at it, and goes bang every single time. These new improvements will only make it better. Snagging has never been an issue for me since I use a Blackhawk Serpa holster, but the Talon grips are a nice addition and the slimmer slide will make it print a little less.

It's my favorite pistol I own. But even I will also recommend for you to shoot one first. Different strokes for different folks. Some pistols just feel more comfortable in your hand than others. While I love my PX4, you may not after you shot it and some other options.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have shot the Storm Compact (9mm) and liked it. I also shot a Glock 9mm, which just didn't feel right. I have a little time between now and when the new Compact Carry is available, so I'll probably shoot with a couple of other compact pistols. So far, I like the Beretta the best.

Blown 89

Established Member
Are you dead set on a compact pistol or could you go full size?

Troponin

Established Member
I have one of the original Storms as well. It's quite a bulky gun. You will want Talon Grips for it too. I have very large hands and still find it a bit difficult to grip well without the talon grips. It's also a double stack, which makes it less ideal for daily carry when it's very hot outside and you can't wear a larger shirt or jacket.

Mine is used for home protection though. For carry, I have a G43 with a +2 and +1 mag. I highly recommend you check out these other guns if you want something super compact and extremely easy to conceal. In no particular order...

1. G 43
2. Ruger LC9s
3. S&W Shield
4. XDS
5. Kahr Arms PM9

The next step up in size would probably be something like a G 42. The Storm is a bit larger than that.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Palmetto State has a sale on G43's today/this weekend, I just ordered one. It's a great option for a conceal carry gun if you're looking for a slim, compact 9mm.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I can tell you, from mistakes I have made in the past, that you def do not want to buy it the first year.

First, if its going to get a recall it will be first year. Did this with my xds.

Second, you're gonna get gouged on price when its new. I did that on the xds and a m&p9c. A year later both dropped 100 bucks in our local shops.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Berretta PX4's are utter pieces of crap, you couldn't give me one. I've shot them and had problems and know people who have bought them and none of them shot reliably. Honestly the only thing they make that's worth a damn is their shotguns, and they're great. Now that we've got that out of the way and I've offended plenty of people...

What "just didn't feel right about the G19? Did you shoot it straight? If so, that's what matters. It's not your schlong, you shouldn't be holding it for hours on end, as long as it doesn't give you blisters when you shoot it or pinch areas of your hands then it makes no difference. The G19 is quite arguably the best pistol on the market today. It's small enough to comfortably carry but large enough for a gun fight. I converted and I will never go back. I own other pistols as well but the G19 will always be my main carry piece. I actually just picked up my third today (Vickers edition). I would suggest shooting it some more.

Other pistols I would recommend would be the S&W M&P's as well as the HK VP9. Those aren't ideal for what you're looking for though. One if you want to shoot it much you don't want a ultra short grip which the compact version of the M&P has. You pinch the hell out of your pinky meat doing mag changes. The full size M&P as well as the VP9 both have longer grips which make them a little harder to conceal. Grip is the hardest part of a gun to conceal for 3-5 O'clock carry and slide length is irrelevant. For appendix carry slide length comes into play however, you really don't want anything longer than a 4" barrel or it gets extremely uncomfortable. The 19 is the best of both worlds, grip is just long enough for all your fingers, and the slide is the longest you will want if you run appendix.

The G43 suggestion is a good one, it's a great pistol but I wouldn't have it as my only pistol. I have one that use for deep concealment when wearing tight fitting clothing and it works great for it but it has it's limitations. It's better than nothing but if I was in a gunfight I'd want more ammo. It would however be a good second addition though.

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
Mine is used for home protection though. For carry, I have a G43 with a +2 and +1 mag.

I have a +1 Pearce extension on my G43 mags and they suck. When you load the 7th round, the slide is hard to rack on the first round and the clip wont slide smoothly in or out of the gun. I keep mine loaded with 6 in the mag and its a great gun. I have 750 rounds through it and no failures.

Last edited:

scn

Established Member
Take a look at the S&W Bodyguard. I have it without the laser and I love it. I can wear it with anything, and no one notices.

Have you tried the S&W Shield? I have it in 9mm and 40. Best carry guns I own. I had the Bodygaurd for about a month before I got rid of it. The double action trigger was horrific. Maybe my hands are too big for the Bodygaurd but most who have shot it agree. I will say this though; anyone coming up on me wouldn't be safe, that is, unless they were standing where I was aiming......

Last edited:

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
I have a +1 Pearce extension on my G43 mags and they suck. When you load the 7th round, the slide is hard to rack on the first round and the clip wont slide smoothly in or out of the gun. I keep mine loaded with 6 in the mag and its a great gun. I have 750 rounds through it and no failures.

Check out the extended plates from Taran Tactical. (TTI). They're a little more expensive but they're cheap for what they are (high quality billet machined) and are ultra reliable. They make a +1 and +2. With the +2 you need the Ghost Inc extra power spring, it won't be reliable with the factory spring but the +1 is. All 10 of my G43 mags have them (5x +1, 5X +2) and have been 100% reliable.

I personally stay away from pearce stuff period. I've had a lot of problems with their products, scherer too. TTI, Arredondo, and OEM glock are the only extensions I've found to be completely reliable of the ones I've used.

Users who are viewing this thread