Belt Slipping or clutch slipping?

4rdsvtdriver

Drive it like u stole it!
Established Member
The stock pulley is still on the car. When I get on it at about 2000rpms it jumps all the way to redline and once I get off it and comes back down. It doesn't always happen. When in 6th gear w/ a load on the vehicle going up a hill at 2K rpm it jumps all the way to redline. I back off and it's fine. I tried to do the test for a slipping clutch. I was doing 35 in 6th gear and mashing it but it's not jumping. Just in low gear when I get on it. I've also heard a little chatter like synchros in the tranny after I left off. Any ideas? :shrug: I'm going to check and see if there's any dust from the belt in the engine bay as soon as I'm off work. Oh and the car has just under 17K on it. Called the local Ford dealership and gave them my VIN but haven't gotten a call back yet to see if the TSB has been incorporated or not?

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Doesn't sound like belt slip at all, it would act like NA, not jump to redline.

I'd get the clutch looked at.

ZXMustang

Banned
The stock pulley is still on the car. When I get on it at about 2000rpms it jumps all the way to redline and once I get off it and comes back down. It doesn't always happen. When in 6th gear w/ a load on the vehicle going up a hill at 2K rpm it jumps all the way to redline. I back off and it's fine. I tried to do the test for a slipping clutch. I was doing 35 in 6th gear and mashing it but it's not jumping. Just in low gear when I get on it. I've also heard a little chatter like synchros in the tranny after I left off. Any ideas? :shrug: I'm going to check and see if there's any dust from the belt in the engine bay as soon as I'm off work. Oh and the car has just under 17K on it. Called the local Ford dealership and gave them my VIN but haven't gotten a call back yet to see if the TSB has been incorporated or not?

clutch

FastOldGuy52

Established Member

Take it to Ford and have them do the Clutch/flywheel/syncro TSB on your car.

4rdsvtdriver

Established Member
I have an appointment tomorrow morning to take her in. I was figuring on the clutch at first but was praying for something a little less drastic. I saw what the stock FRPP clutch in our cars cost. It's listed at $999. Aftermarket would be cheaper of course. Hopefully the TSB hasn't been performed. The dealership never got back w/ me. I'm not too crazy about this dealership either. It's the only one close to me though. The rest are at least 60 miles away.

4rdsvtdriver

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! I sure hope the dealership does the TSB and doesn't bitch about my aftermarket Steeda shifter. They seem like the kind of place that would use that as an excuse not to do it. I'll find out after tomorrow when I take it in.

Blaine

Established Member

+1 on clutch. They can't deny a warranty over the shifter. Well dealers here may try, but they are special. If they try to say they won't over a shifter.. BY ALL means... get it in writing on why and how a shifter can cause a clutch to go bad. I could use the laugh.

Last edited:

4rdsvtdriver

Established Member
If it's due for the TSB then I may be in luck. Clutch is a "normal wear and tear" item. So I'm pretty sure it's not covered under the warranty. Hopefully they'll fix it.

Blaine

Established Member
If it's due for the TSB then I may be in luck. Clutch is a "normal wear and tear" item. So I'm pretty sure it's not covered under the warranty. Hopefully they'll fix it.

How many miles you have? They can't say its wear and tear on a GT500 with only a few miles on it. If its TSB related your flywheel will be fried as well... meaning it is warranty covered.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
999 for a clutch Are you Freakin SERIOUS?. Getting it from Gene evans usually runs me 223 for the pp and disc, and 7 dollars for the pilot. Release brng is included with the clutch kit. the kit i am describing is the M7560-d46 its an 03-04 factory clutch. The only difference is that its labeled as a ford racing part and carries no warranty. IDK, but thinking you could have 4 ford racing clutches go out and still be ahead of the game rather than spending 999 on one single clutch. Spread the wealth if you've got it though.

edit, sorry misread the post. I'll leave it up so you can make fun of me

Last edited:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! I sure hope the dealership does the TSB and doesn't bitch about my aftermarket Steeda shifter. They seem like the kind of place that would use that as an excuse not to do it. I'll find out after tomorrow when I take it in.

The TSB specifically states it is also for lightly modified cars and stock cars. I would think a shifter would qualify for lightly modified.

chuckstang

Established Member
999 for a clutch Are you Freakin SERIOUS?. Getting it from Gene evans usually runs me 223 for the pp and disc, and 7 dollars for the pilot. Release brng is included with the clutch kit. the kit i am describing is the M7560-d46 its an 03-04 factory clutch. The only difference is that its labeled as a ford racing part and carries no warranty. IDK, but thinking you could have 4 ford racing clutches go out and still be ahead of the game rather than spending 999 on one single clutch. Spread the wealth if you've got it though.

edit, sorry misread the post. I'll leave it up so you can make fun of me

:poke:

We are not in 2003 anymore, this new clutch is completely different and 100% stronger

4rdsvtdriver

Established Member
The stock GT500 clutch is beefier than the SPEC stage 3 I had in my 01 Cobra. My left calf is bigger than my right one from driving this thing in stop and go traffic. Pedal effort is a lot stiffer than my SPEC stage 3 was. Just returned from the dealership and it is the clutch. Waiting on a reply back from them on what they're going to do about it. One of the techs there is a Mustang guy so I think I'm good! The stock clutch is a twin disc clutch according to FRPP catalog the flywheel is also included. Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-7060-A54]

Blaine

Established Member
The stock GT500 clutch is beefier than the SPEC stage 3 I had in my 01 Cobra. My left calf is bigger than my right one from driving this thing in stop and go traffic. Pedal effort is a lot stiffer than my SPEC stage 3 was. Just returned from the dealership and it is the clutch. Waiting on a reply back from them on what they're going to do about it. One of the techs there is a Mustang guy so I think I'm good! The stock clutch is a twin disc clutch according to FRPP catalog the flywheel is also included. Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-7060-A54]

Yes Twin Disc Clutches are more expensive the older clutches used in the previous Cobras. That is also why they hold more power out of the factory without slipping.

4rdsvtdriver

Established Member
I called my local dealer here in Washington. I live up north so Anacortes (Frontier Ford) is the closest. The next one is 50+ miles away. They won't do the TSB. They were reading only part of the TSB to me over the phone. Omitted the part about the flywheel etc. So I'm going to have to go elsewhere. I have less than 17K on my car and it's slipping when getting on it. After taking it into the dealership. It's slipping worse than it was before I brought it in. :cuss::shrug:

smrtasp

Established Member
Check to make sure its shifting OK as well. Mine was slipping and because of this I didnt really drive it hard. The TSB was done for just the clutch and now that I can get on it without the slip, it wont do anything but grind going into second at high RPM's. This behavior doesnt occur under normal driving nor does it occur in any other gear under hard driving so the dealer didnt spot it when testing and now I need to take it back in.

Users who are viewing this thread