Belt Question .

Mystic1199

Established Member
Before i do any damage figured id ask ...it might be right but want to double check

I just installed a 4lb lower with a 2.93 upper with 100mm snub with 3.2 alt pulley belt size is gates 79.7 from napa everything was good was getting a chirping sound ...so ordered BF tensioners 2 100mm and 1 90mm bolted them up tonight and belt was a PIA to get on its tight but belt has a little flex to it ...should that be fine or should i go next step up on a belt ? I used those calculator but not sure if i did it right

thanks

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Look straight down at the top of the belt tensioner and there is an indicator mark. You want the indicator positioned in the center or slightly to the right of center look down at it from the front of the car. If its bottomed out on the stop to the right, its to tight. If its to the left of center, its to loose.

Mystic1199

Established Member
well just got home and checked it out and someone must have notched the stop on the right cause its missing but if it was there the indicator would be just barely touching it ...

so im guessing belt is to tight ?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
well just got home and checked it out and someone must have notched the stop on the right cause its missing but if it was there the indicator would be just barely touching it ...
so im guessing belt is to tight ?

Some people knock the stop off the tensioner so its easier to get the belt on. IMO its a bad idea. That tensioner is only designed to travel so far. Since you are on the maximum end of it, and the stop is gone you will end up doing damage to the tensioner.

I would go to a size smaller belt. To tight of a belt will destroy alternators, bearings and at very worst your crank. No need for it to be that tight

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
smaller belt size ? im running 79.7 right now what would you recommend ?

I am sorry. I mis-typed that. You need a longer belt due to it being to tight.

So if you are running a 79.7 I am guessing its a K080797 belt? If thats the case you should go one size longer atleast which would be a K080806. 80.6" ID

That would be your best bet I just hope its not to loose. Since there are no other sizes in between the 79.7 + 80.6" usually they range in 1/2" increments, in this case the next largest is almost an inch longer.

Also. On your lower pulley bracket. What position is the lower idler in?

Mystic1199

Established Member
Awesome thanks for the help Juice..sorry for the questions new to this ...ill call napa tomorrow for that belt size

as far as the lower idler my buddy installed it for me and not sure what postion its in heres a pic ..

87cf63b7-38d0-4b65-9e34-5ddd27f363d8_zps28e93e26.gif

03' White Snake

Established Member
I used to run that setup. Except I had 3 90mm pullies and 1 100mm. And I was using the 79.7" belt. I think LFP says if running 3 100mm and 1 90mm idler it uses a 81" belt. So I would go to the 80.6 like you said. And no my tensioner was not notched.

Mystic1199

Established Member
well lets say the 79.7 was on there so tight with the tensioner cranked down i couldnt get the belt off i had to take one of the BF tensioners off to release the belt thats how tight it was ...

so i put new belt on and it went on a little smoother ill post a pic where the notch is

Mystic1199

Established Member
as you can see the notch is right in the middle but when i give it a little gas it goes more towards the loose side just a little nothing crazy but i wasnt also hammering the gas ...i hope thats normal

IMG_20130730_203754_028_zpse7c74914.jpg

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
You cannot see in the pic if the stop is knocked off it would be to the right. But the tensioner is in the perfect spot

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Also, about removing the idler to get the belt on. Thats how I do it on cars that have an upper idler with the correct size belt. i just remove the upper Aux idler. Put tension on the tensioner then push the idler over to the side against the belt and slide it onto the bracket.

Mystic1199

Established Member
Thanks guys as long as that mark is in the right spot ...car drove fine last night and no more chatter from under the hood

Users who are viewing this thread