Belt/Pulley Squeak after whipple 4.0 belt shred

StangSupremacy

Established Member
Hey everyone i am hoping you can help me identify this annoying squeak, here is the background.

I recently purchased an 08 GT500 with an incomplete whipple 4.0 blower. I finished the blower install and took her to the dyno last week. On 14 degrees of timing, 11.0 A/F, and 93+torco she made 770rwhp (saving up for a shortblock , i know i know). On the way back from the dyno and only after the 2nd street pull, the blower belt shredded. I purchased the Gates green heavy duty belt K100879HD and replaced it this weekend.

Here is the issue: There is a horrible squeak coming from the passenger side of the belts/pulleys. I removed the belt and checked every single pulley to ensure it was free spinning and there was no blower belt debris from when it shredded, but the noise is still there above 1000 rpms and I am banging my head against the wall. I already ordered a thump rrr tensioner to solve the belt slip issue. Anyone has an idea what the squeak can be?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
shredded a belt and now its making noises, my first thought would be to check pulley alignment. You can try squirting a a little water on the belt, if the noise stops its either the belt itself or an alignment issue

StangSupremacy

Established Member
shredded a belt and now its making noises, my first thought would be to check pulley alignment. You can try squirting a a little water on the belt, if the noise stops its either the belt itself or an alignment issue

I should clarify that only 2 ribs initially shredded from the belt, i thought it might just be the stock tensioner can't hold 770 rwhp, causing the belt to slip and shredding the 2 ribs. I will try squirting some water on the belt tonight and see if it quiets down.

That belt is longer than the belt required for a 15% lower. *100852*

is the extra 2.7" belt length required for the Whipple 4.0 and stock lower?

The car has a stock lower and the 4" upper pulley (biggest available). Stkjock gave me the measurements since he also runs a 4.0 whipple. The belt also seemed to fit perfectly onto the pulleys, and the squeaking/winning noise was not there Friday upon initial install, it seemed to appear saturday.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The car has a stock lower and the 4" upper pulley (biggest available). Stkjock gave me the measurements since he also runs a 4.0 whipple. The belt also seemed to fit perfectly onto the pulleys, and the squeaking/winning noise was not there Friday upon initial install, it seemed to appear saturday.

The belt just sounds to long to me. How much slack does the tensioner take up on release? Is the belt hard to get over the 4" upper pulley, or is there plenty of slack?

StangSupremacy

Established Member
The belt just sounds to long to me. How much slack does the tensioner take up on release? Is the belt hard to get over the 4" upper pulley, or is there plenty of slack?

The belt seems to be very tight, I have to push the tensioner fully to remove or reposition the belt. Also, when I removed the old belt (8 ribs, because it lost 2 ribs) I measured it with the gates belt and they matched perfectly . I did notice yesterday that there seemed to be green belt dust near the blower pulley, is this normal for a new belt? Or could it be signs of a problem?

I have a thump rrr tensioner on the way, and i am debating ordering new idler pulleys just in case. I just want it to run perfectly!

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member

Have you tried this yet? This would be my first guess as well.

StangSupremacy

Established Member
I just tried the water method, and the squeak stopped temporarily. It only worked when i poured it on the grooved side of the belt. I tried puring the water on the AC pulley, ribbed idler pulley, tensioner, and blower. The "biggest" noise reduction came near the AC pulley and the ribbed idler pulley, but even when i poured water on the ribbed part of the blower then it would stop squeaking temporarily. I poured the water directly in the middle part of the belt when applying it near the blower pulley, on the rest i did my best to pour near the middle. What do you guys think?

The youtube video is uploading right now and i will post it momentarily.

Edit : Here is the link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHmo-h_jZ0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
It's the right size

I suggested the alignment to him as well.

You shouldn't be pouring water, just spraying it, that it will tell you if it is the belt.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
video doesnt sound too far off from my mach with a procharger, which had a pulley alignment issue at the time. The noise on mine would go away for a short time with a new belt then go right back to it, slowly getting worse. I never shredded a belt, nor did the dyno graph show any signs of belt slip but there was definitely an alignment problem

I dunno how hard it is to get a good look at different pulleys on these cars but I had to take a flash light and look at each edge of the pullies and watch the belt, finally noticed it moving ever so slightly...it can be hard to spot, you could only tell when looking at the front side of one pulley, didnt notice it from the back of the same pulley

StangSupremacy

Established Member
OK I will try and use a water spray bottle and spray each individual pulley separately. 2 questions for you guys:

1) Since this is a brand new belt, it shouldn’t be the belt causing the squeak right? Would some belt dressing help?

2) If it’s a pulley alignment issue, what could cause that? Is it simply the bearing slowly going out so the pulley is no being held on properly? When I looked closely at all my pulleys yesterday, it seemed like the grooved idler pulley (on top of the AC compressor) had a very tiny slight movement.

Users who are viewing this thread