Bell Housing leaking fluid after clutch flywheel replaced

Jon Steeves

Established Member
I just had my mechanic replace the clutch and flywheel with a Luk kit which included the dual mass flywheel, clutch, pressure plate can slave. When I got it home I noticed fluid leaking from the bell housing. Could this be from bleeding it or are there other issues? It is clear fluid and appears to be brake fluid.
Thank you,
Jon

Jon Steeves

Established Member
Sounds like there is a leak in the hydraulic clutch system. Need to take it back to the installer.
Yes I did. What I am trying to figure out why it is leaking. They state it is either from bleeding or the new slave has failed which means I pay. Please let me know what would cause the brake fluid to leak out by where the bell housing connects up.
Thanks

MG0h3

Established Member
Possible it’s residual. Does the clutch feel funny? Check the clutch slave cylinder under the hood. Is the fluid level low?

Did you take the parts to the mechanic? That’s the only way he can charge you labor again. If you got the parts through them, it’s warranty. Always a bad idea to take your own parts. But on the rare occasion the manufacturer will cover the labor to r&r again.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Jon Steeves

Established Member
The clutch didn't work properly when I picked it up so they re-bled it. It felt great and shifted well once bled again but it feels lighter than the old one. The master cylinder was still very full and at the top when I brought it back so they thought it may be residual. Does some fluid leak inside when bleeding? Unfortunately I did bring my own parts.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Typically you have to bleed with everything fully assembled. Similar to bleeding brakes, the piston needs to push on something.

I’d just monitor your clutch master fluid level. It’s usually quite small, so a fluid loss will show up pretty quick. If the slave is leaking you’ll usually feel it right away. Usually shows up as a very light pedal at the top and eventually difficulty shifting without grinding.

Jon Steeves

Established Member
Thanks. The pedal is a little lighter and grabs towards the bottom. It definitely shifts much better than it did with the old one. Is there any way it could be leaking inside by either the slave being cracked or not sealed properly? I was concerned driving it due to fluid possibly getting on the clutch.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yes, either of those are possible. When you get a bad one off the shelf the seal usually just lets fluid by.

You should be able to look in an inspection port through the side of the bell.

Jon Steeves

Established Member
Just spoke with the mechanic. The fluid that is leaking from the bell housing is gear oil from the transmission. The car never had a leak and all of a sudden the transmission seal is leaking! How does this happen? Needless to say I am very frustrated. I asked if over filling the transmission with oil would cause the leak but he said no the seal would still hold. Anyone know if that is true? It never has leaked before and obviously was not leaking when they pulled the transmission.

Jon Steeves

Established Member
Here are a couple pictures of the oil.
XsFrgeh82YOj124vlGm3wUdWWhSyDGP6XFltmTzzAkyTda0oaOIiDGoeLk0seXBGn79uOXiBGk9eJ3sD8=w1992-h1494-no.jpg
BswK6mXRSjlcLp9Pw3qv3oVIyljeHaS1sf07OXet7HqTOU3wGMvmGZqkAr6nFxVmUt9LrreaxVOeDhcgw=w1992-h1494-no.jpg
XsFrgeh82YOj124vlGm3wUdWWhSyDGP6XFltmTzzAkyTda0oaOIiDGoeLk0seXBGn79uOXiBGk9eJ3sD8=w1992-h1494-no.jpg

Jon Steeves

Established Member
I drained the new trans oil and the oil on the left is what was in the transmission and the oil on the right is Ford synthetic trans oil which is the recommended oil. They stated they put synthetic in it but regardless it is still leaking from the bell housing.
W0g8ubInKSa028N3Utj8wWw9skUYvrHEGH4RPJbUHBnvHAE-NJLG0u5zQzSkJwidZEoQa4BpS7VP7Di9U=w1992-h1494-no.jpg
dD90LPdmecrDwmtAk4fEhf16CmuG5iaDMFIeF4PevqcUMnjSaq_SqW7CMpejZNP2rp3nkfgSAVi3ZMzMA=w1992-h1494-no.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Not sure how it’s leaking from the bell unless it’s from around the input shaft which I reeeeaaallly doubt.

Look for a breather on top of the bell. Most likely place to leak is an axle seal

Jon Steeves

Established Member
I just remembered that the mechanic stated that he couldn't get the shaft back into the new clutch as the spline was damaged. He stated he spent a couple of hours working on it and grinding it to finally make it work. I am not sure how he got out if he couldn't get it on. I am wondering if the shaft somehow got bumped and damaged the spline, causing a seal leak and vibration between 35-50 mph. Just and idea.

Users who are viewing this thread