Before I pull the trigger on a Mechman Alt...

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
For those that have one, how is it holding up? I've read of some failures and wanted to see how the others have been fairing. My current OEM reman is officially on the way out and I'm really fed up with having to switch out alternators. I saw Jake just sold the one out of his race car, not sure why, but hopefully it hasn't anything to do with quality. What pulley is everyone running on their Mechman, if you do have one.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
I have had mine for about a year now but probably only 500 miles on it. I'm running the stock pulley and used the spacer they provide with it to install. No alignment or belt issues for me. It's definitely a nice piece and has worked perfectly for me so far, but I'm sure you want to hear from someone with more mileage on one. I just was tired of changing alternators every year or two, especially since the last one going out caused a lean issue for me at WOT. The higher price of the mechman unit has been way worth the peace of mind it's given me so far.

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
So I found a local shop that wants to become a distributor for Mechman!! He needs 5 orders to buy in and is willing to give a price break to make it happen. Soooo anyone interested??

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Just installed one last November. As stated above, I don't have enough miles to really say. Mine didn't have a spacer, I believe they machine it in the pulley now. You have to use their pulley, aftermarket pulley will not fit the shaft. I'm running 4lb crank, but was told that it will NOT over spin and cause a problem. I've read so many different things on this site about wire upgrade with this alt. I wasn't sure what to do. So, I emailed the other day and straight from the horse's mouth: just run a 2 gauge from the alt. bracket to the neg. post on battery, that's all. My battery is in the trunk, so I just ordered about 20' of 2 gauge. That's the next project before we hit the road this summer.

Last edited:

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
Thanks for the PM Solisimo. Didn't realize you were on here. Hopefully I can get a couple others on board.

Weekend bump for more reviews!

Tractionless1

Established Member
Mine's golden but not many miles, Jake runs 8 sec. 1/4 mile blasts with his. IMO it has the same warranty as the parts house lifetime crap alternators you might as well pull the trigger for the upped amperage and voltage. I'm running their larger pulley option wiht a 6 lb. lower and Gates green.

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Mine's golden but not many miles, Jake runs 8 sec. 1/4 mile blasts with his. IMO it has the same warranty as the parts house lifetime crap alternators you might as well pull the trigger for the upped amperage and voltage. I'm running their larger pulley option wiht a 6 lb. lower and Gates green.

Larger pulley option? For the Mechman Billet-tech 170amp for 03-04 Cobra comes with 2.6 pulley. No options, I just emailed Matthew Young at Mechman.

I was assured that their alt. will not over spin and "fry" without a 3.20" pulley. That was last Oct.

A Metco 3.2 won't work on their alt. I got one and it's a no go.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Larger pulley option? For the Mechman Billet-tech 170amp for 03-04 Cobra comes with 2.6 pulley. No options, I just emailed Matthew Young at Mechman.

I was assured that their alt. will not over spin and "fry" without a 3.20" pulley. That was last Oct.

A Metco 3.2 won't work on their alt. I got one and it's a no go.

There used to be 2 options, guess they did away with one.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
cant really go wrong with mech man or nation alts. just make sure to upgrade the wiring. not doing so can cause premature failure, because it tends to over work them.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I have a Mechman and sadly i also do not have many miles on it. The originally sent me one with a larger pulley and after reading some mixed reviews i sent the alternator back to mechamn and had them swap it out for a stand sized pulley since i'm running an oem lower.

I did have a major alignment issue and ended up milling the crap out of the mechamn's mount and making my own spacer/shim for it.

Users who are viewing this thread