Been a long time

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I have not posted or hung out around here very much in the last 3 or 4 years. I have had other priorities, but still have my car. Since that time there have been many changes in technology. I have worked over c-heads, c-head intake, and an extra block that I have been holding for like 6 years. The plan was to put a beefy stroker kit in it and add boost. maybe a turbo system by parting it together from pieces from On3 and other companies.

Well I am looking for other opinions as it looks like used coyote motors are much cheaper. I have a contact who thinks I can get them for around 2k. Looking at the conversion kit from ford I can get that for another 1500. I've watched a video or two and feel like I could do the install myself. I have garage space and all the time I want. Wondering what everyone else thinks and what if any new goodies I may be unaware of for our lowly B-C headed 4.6s if any? The idea would be to sell the C-heads/intake/ and block and see what I could get to even out the cost. I likely would just keep the other motor as a spare. Not sure I could get enough for it to make it worth selling. It be nice to have a 400 HP motor NA and have lots of room to grow. The bottom ends also seem to hold up to more boost without new rods and pistons compared to the 4.6. So that would save money. if I don't have to dig into the bottom end for awhile

Yes I cold go buy a Shelby and be far ahead, but I have had this car since I was 17. IT was a gift from my father and I just wont part with it, but I do want to make it compete a little more with today's cars.

Any thoughts?

Also the plan is to get the car repainted in a few months as time has faded the paint to a light reddish pink. I rarely drive it because of this.

F8L BYT

Established Member
Welcome back man! Hope everything has been well! I don't think you can go wrong with either direction you go, I was at the same crossroad a few years ago as well. Ended up doing the coyote swap and was thrilled with it. It was much faster than it was with the Vortech and stock B head engine. Either way you go, it will be a lot of fun!

amorrow

Established Member
My only thoughts are centered around asking yourself what you want long term...you mention a Shelby. Like you, I got my '98 when I was 17, and am so glad I made the decision long ago to refrain from spending a bunch of money trying to make that one car into everything I wanted, and instead use that money toward other cars and a nice place to store and work on them. Now I have my '98 pretty much as I had it when I drove it as a teenager and 20s, which is pretty cool, and the money I thought about spending on it went a long way toward other cars. I honestly think fairly stock SN95s are great cars as-is with some gearing, a bit of suspension work and maybe a few minor aesthetic upgrades (like the wing). Just my opinion.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Like you, I'm at a crossroad myself. I've had my 98 for about 7 years now. The SN's came out when I in middle school. I feel in love with the bodies then and is still my favorite today. Right now I'm running a stock B head mill with a Vortech bolted to it. I have a good Teksid block, forged crank and rods, C heads and all the ARP hardware I've accumulated over the years. All I lack is pistons and machine work. My plan was to forge it out with 10:1 compression and run a single turbo. But now I'm seeing the Coyote motors pop up for a fair price and it has me wondering. Unlike you, my time is limited. I have 3 young kids and it takes a fair amount of time to assemble these mod motors. Not sure which way to go.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I think it may come down to if a motor becomes available at the right price. F8L BYT, how long /expensive was the swap in the end, and did you do it yourself or pay a shop, I would likely do most work myself.

F8L BYT

Established Member
I think it may come down to if a motor becomes available at the right price. F8L BYT, how long /expensive was the swap in the end, and did you do it yourself or pay a shop, I would likely do most work myself.

I did the swap in the garage with a friend. I bought everything before I started the swap so it would go quickly. It probably took around 6 weeks mostly working on it on weekends.

As for price,it depends. I've seen people do it for ~5k. I did a lot of different stuff, like tubular suspension, rear end, etc at the same time too. I think a solid number would be between 5-7k to do the swap though.

nomoretickets

Established Member
Im in a similar boat as you, though I dont have a garage of spare motor parts already. Debating centri / turbo / coyote. I think its just a matter of what you want. If you are chasing maximum power per dollar, coyote is probably a better bet in the long run. They will get you N/A to the level most mild boost cars are at, and leave plenty of room to grow.

Users who are viewing this thread