Bay Area...Where to Stay/What to Do

Jefe

Established Member
Flying into Oakland and spending a few days in the Bay Area before heading up to Oregon. What to see and what areas to avoid? Looking to try out some amazing food and bars with views

The plan so far:

Day 1 - Mavericks/Half Moon Bay/Walnut Creek/Berkeley
Day 2 - Ferry to Sausalito/Muir Woods
Day 3 - Downtown San Fran/Bridges/Batteries/Golden Gate Park/Ghirardelli

Last edited:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
Plenty of stuff to do at the Wharf, Pier 39, China Town, California Academy of Sciences, Westfield SF mall, Alcatraz, etc. Take the trolley if you have time. Avoid parking if you can. Parking is expensive and there's a car break in every 17 minutes in SF.

East Oakland is pretty rough and any crime map will tell you the same. You'd be better off visiting north Oakland, aka "Bezerkley."

Have a good time, California has it's moments, most of the time it's just stupid.

-Long time California resident.

josephcostello

Established Member
Downtown Palo Alto has a really nice light life. Sf would probably be the main attraction. I lived in Los altos for 7 years.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
As others have mentioned, Fisherman's Wharf is a tourist hot spot, and you should do Alcatraz too. I like Coit Tower, as it provides panoramic views of the Bay Area, and the Botanical Garden at Golden Gate Park is another of my favorites. China Town is a neat place that I like too.

Don't drive into the city if you don't have to; parking is expensive and as others have said, a lot of break ins. Taxi is better than Uber or Lyft, simply because the taxi drivers know where they are going. Uber and Lyft drivers commute from up to 3 hours a way because the money is good, but they have no idea how to get around town.

nxhappy

Established Member
do NOT stay in oakland, ghetto as ****. Not sure what you will do for 3 days LOL. hoestly, scrap your SFO plans. Go to Yosemite (fly to Fresno or drive from OAK) and stay there for 3 days. Trust me ...WAY better than the gay bay. Weather is warming up and snow is melting.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
First thing I do when we go to the bay area is swing by fishermans wharf, grab some sour dough then head to Sonoma because it's way better out there than in the city.

Also, check out the red woods.

We usually stay in a hotel near the airport. Around $120 per night, which isn't cheap but it's not brutal.

coposrv

Established Member
Those videos are disturbing. ****ing people.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Adower

Established Member
Flying into Oakland and spending 3 or 4 nights there before heading up to Oregon. Hotel or AirBNB recommendations? Need 2 beds. What areas to avoid?
What are you into? Are you going to have a car?

-If you like baseball catch a sf giants game.
-go check out the Golden Gate Bridge you can walk it and take pics
-drive into Sausalito and do some site seeing
-visit Alcatraz
-drive over to Carmel or monterey. If they have any events going on at Laguna Seca you can check that out as well
-check out the redwoods
-check out Lombard street

Stay away from Oakland

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
HA! im running bay to breakers. People pissing outside is probably because the city did not provide enough portojohns. But its funny that they piss all over the DMV building. **** dmv.

I do agree with some of the comments. My brother used to work in the city for 4 years, he doesnt understand why anyone would want to live here. But, just like with any big city, those are the bad areas.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Wound up finding a nice 2 bedroom AirBNB in Lafayette. We didn't want to deal with the hassle of driving/parking and were clueless when it came to what areas to avoid. We will probably take advantage of the BART as well since its 5 mins from the house.

I like to do and see as much as possible on vacation so Im looking for recommendations on where to eat and what all to do!
What are you into? Are you going to have a car?

-go check out the Golden Gate Bridge you can walk it and take pics
-drive into Sausalito and do some site seeing
-visit Alcatraz
-drive over to Carmel or monterey. If they have any events going on at Laguna Seca you can check that out as well
-check out the redwoods
-check out Lombard street
I went with the family when I was young and did the normal touristy stuff. We did not get to the Bridge but Sausalito is on the list as well as Half Moon Bay.

Stay away from Oakland
Like, all of it? haha. We will need a place to stay Sunday night as we fly out early Monday to San Diego. Hopefully the airport hotels have armed guards

Users who are viewing this thread