Battery's Keep Dying

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Just went and checked on the 10amp setting. It read out 0.38

This is very high, right? It should be much lower than that?
20230315_180330.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

railroad

Established Member
I had a charging cord in the 12 volt dash outlet. The cord had shorted near the plug. Battery went down several times, recharged good, but would not sit overnight without draining completely.
Pulled all chargers and cords, no more problems.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Good news! I pulled the Mach 460 fuse like someone suggested and my meter now reads out 0.15 on the 10amp setting. Is this more where I should be now or is this still too high and will drain the battery? I don't use the radio in this car so I could simply leave this fuse out and not worry about it?
20230315_190832.jpeg

OX1

Established Member
Sure sounds like a draw on the battery to me

Yes, what is the draw on batt just sitting. Should be 50 ma or less. My mom's 09 Grand Marq had something that kept "waking up" the light control module. Could have been a slightly dirty door switch, or any number of things that are tied into that module. Randomly, all the time it seems, "something" would wake up that module and then it draws 280 ma. Not the end of the world, unless car sits for weeks, which it did. No real codes as everything is working as it should.

EDIT. I did not read whole thread, glad you found it.

MG0h3

Established Member
That should be 150ma still which is a touch high.

You need to let it sit like 5min or so after hooking the meter up and that reading may come down some.

But you got rid of more than half of the draw so that’s the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
That should be 150ma still which is a touch high.

You need to let it sit like 5min or so after hooking the meter up and that reading may come down some.

But you got rid of more than half of the draw so that’s the right track.

When I initially put the meter on there the reading fluctuates between like 1.XX - 2.XX but then after about a minute it drops down to 0.15 now. I'll try to hold it on there even longer tomorrow see if it'll go down anymore but seems like there might be another fuse still drawing some power.

OX1

Established Member
When I initially put the meter on there the reading fluctuates between like 1.XX - 2.XX but then after about a minute it drops down to 0.15 now. I'll try to hold it on there even longer tomorrow see if it'll go down anymore but seems like there might be another fuse still drawing some power.

As I kinda mentioned. Would not rule out some module being on for a bit after you shut car off, drawing more power, just briefly. Might be chasing something that is normal.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
As I kinda mentioned. Would not rule out some module being on for a bit after you shut car off, drawing more power, just briefly. Might be chasing something that is normal.
Would the hood being popped cause a draw on the battery? I see no light mounted on the hood or anything but maybe there's something there.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Would the hood being popped cause a draw on the battery? I see no light mounted on the hood or anything but maybe there's something there.

Probably not. Unless it’s pinching a wire while it’s open which is nearly impossible. My hood is open all the time in the garage

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
I think it's safe to say the car does still have some draw, it's much better than it was before with the Mach 460 fuse but there is still 0.15 showing on the meter. I went out and popped the hood, then shut the door and let the car sit for about an hour to ensure everything shuts off, then I hooked up the meter and held it there for about 10 minutes just to be sure, it stayed at 0.15.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Start pulling fuses until the draw goes down to a few milli-amps. I doubt it should be over 3-5 milli-amps but I could wrong. Not sure what spec is.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Start pulling fuses until the draw goes down to a few milli-amps. I doubt it should be over 3-5 milli-amps but I could wrong. Not sure what spec is.
With the meter on the 10amp setting I'd ideally want it to read out 0.05 or less I think, if my math is correct.

olympic

Established Member
Mine does it too, runs the battery dead in a week if I forget to attach the battery maintainer.

MG0h3

Established Member
Switch to the 2A setting and move the appropriate lead to the correct port.

FYI, when you attach the meter between the neg batt term and the neg batt post, you’re completing the ground circuit which is the same as putting the cable on the post/hooking the battery up.

This is when you’ll see a spike and then it’ll come down in a few minutes.

You don’t have an interceptor gauge or anything plugged into the OBDII port do you?

Users who are viewing this thread