Battery or bad ground

03MachJuan

Established Member
Alright so my friend just a 5.0 and the over all car is good, but when we pulled in a gas station to put gas, the car wouldn't turn on. It cranked the first couple tries then died to the point where it wouldn't crank or when the headlights wouldn't turn on. My question is, is it a bad battery or alternator (Were going to go check if the batter and alternator are working well) or is it a bad ground.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Impossible to answer. You could have a bad alternator that caused you to be driving off of the battery, then after you shut the car down you didn't have enough juice to re-start the car (likely the case), or you could have a bad ground.

Given that information, we can't answer the question definitively.

If you want to determine if you have a ground problem, then hook some jumper cables up to the car and give it a minute. If your headlights start working again suddenly, chances are everything stopped working because your battery died. Then the chances are good your battery died because your alternator went out.

My money is on a bad alternator for this one.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
You could have a bad battery terminal. I know I've had a terminal break internally on me before, and it acted similarly. Give them a good wiggle, see if you can get the lights to show some signs of life.

03MachJuan

Established Member
yea, I got the battery tested by pepboys and they said it was ok, iand got it charged. then I got the alternator tested in two different stores and it passed on both. It started and I drove it to my friends house but after i turned it off it did not want to turn back on.

Can it be that the alternator is not charging the battery sufficiently, and need a more powerful alternator?

Users who are viewing this thread