Battery Light is coming on but not low voltage?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Can something other than low voltage cause the battery light to come on? Aeroforce Gauge says I'm getting my normal 13.5V dosage that I've been getting over the last 5 years - but battery light is still coming on.

I installed an amp and subwoofer about 2 months ago - other than that I can't think of anything that has been added electrically speaking. The dash cam was added over the winter, and that uses next to nothing of power.

It is just odd. Driving down the road, AC and radio on. Battery light comes on but Aeroforce is reading 13.5V or around there (which is typical). I turn off AC and radio and light goes off after about 30 seconds. Decide the AC needs to be on anyways - and battery light stays off. Get to work and I'm measuring 13.9V at the battery with a hand held multi-meter. It seems to me like there is plenty of voltage in the system, but the battery light keeps coming on every so often.

As for driving - I rarely hit or go over 4K RPMs. I'd say most of my driving is actually under 3K. I mention this cause I know to expect the light to come on if I every really get up into higher RPMs.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
You should check and see what battery volts go to when bringing the car up to redline. It still could be a alt going bad.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Well - on the way home today - I decided to stress the system a little on a half mile drive. Turned on AC full blast and for the first time in 5 years I saw the voltage drop to 11.2V (I haven't seen it go under 12.8V). Alt is going out. Got a new Napa 135Amp alternator ordered and will pick it up tomorrow. I'll have some fun this weekend. It will be my 3rd alternator - the first one died after 5 years and was replaced in September 2009. This is about 5 years after that... I guess I'll be happy if I get 5 years out of the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread