Battery Hold Down Strap: How Tight? Need a Favor!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Changed the battery to a "OEM replacement". I didn't note how tight the black nylon battery strap was, on the original Ford battery before taking this apart.

The new battery fits in the tray, and locks in super tight with the front wedge, but there is about 1/2" of slack in the strap, with the strap/wedge bolt completely tightened. There is a flange on the front wedge bolt that prevents you from over tightening it, and the flange is in firm contact with the wedge, and cannot be tightened anymore, to remove the slack.

I have pulled, and twisted the battery with full force, and it does not move at all. I believe the strap is there just for redundancy, as if I cut it off, the battery would be securely held by the front wedge, and rear lip of the battery tray. Even if the strap was tight, all of the clamping force is applied through the front wedge, pushing and locking the battery in place. The battery insulating cover is in place, and the strap is routed over it.

Can someone with a Ford OEM battery check how tight that strap is on your car and post back? Not sure if it was like this on the stock battery, or if this is an issue I need to solve.

Thanks!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not tight. I think the strap is redundant, but does keep one from losing the bolt and hold down block.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The strap is not tight as Catmonkey stated. This is the battery that came with the car from the factory and it has never been taken out of the car.

P9172557.JPG

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Thanks a ton guys! I have exactly the gap in the picture above.

It looks like the strap gets run "inside" the battery cover, I routed it outside trying to get it tighter. I will change it back.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I dug through pictures of my first Shelby, a 2010. The strap is noticeably tighter, than the above pics, and my current car. I really don't see this as a problem though.

Batt Strap.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a full battery tray area restoration, not just a simple battery change. Being around old German cars, taught me to keep this area of the car clean!

I found two small areas of paint, on the inner fender under the battery tray, about the size of half a dime, that paint had been rubbed away by the battery tray. I also found the metal reinforcing plate, which is riveted to the battery tray, to be missing some paint as well. Touched it all up, washed, and spray waxed the area.

I also soaked the battery tray, and battery cover (insulator) in heavy detergent, to remove all traces of battery acid. It took a few days in the sun to dry the battery cover out. The most interesting part of the restoration was the fact Ford used blue thread locker on the M6x1.0mm battery tray bolts. A tap was needed to clean out the old thread locker.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread