Battery Drain

14MustangDriver

Established Member
I have a 2014 mustang GT convertible 5.0L it has an intrusion alarm that was installed before i purchased the car.I purchased the car June 2019 and from what i gathered had already had the battery replaced as it didn't have a motorcraft one it had a motomaster one installed,in march 2020 i replaced it with a new one as for some reason it would not hold a charge that long and now it's Oct 27 ,2021 and the battery is dead flat again i know that one of the main reasons is i don't drive it i have only put 1800 km on the car since i purchased it so i was wondering how long do these cars usually hold a charge for i last drove it Saturday sept25,2021 and i went to start it today and it's absolutely dead, if there is that much of a draw on the battery will my 2A battery tender keep it charged....i will charge the battery this weekend as we are getting slammed with rain at the moment and saturday is supposed to be sunny maybe i'll get it charged and put a permit on it....i was wondering if there is anywhere specific i should look at for the draw

cobracide

Established Member
If your 2A doesn't keep it charged you definitely have a serious drain somewhere. A week or two and mine is dead but there are too many variables to compare every car vs battery drain time. I just keep mine on a battery maintainer now since I don't drive it every day and it can sit for a week or so at at time. if it is a serious issue then a painstaking inspection of the wiring harness is in order.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
When I was on the OEM battery it would hold 3-4 weeks, longer than that and there was a good chance the car would be dead when I went to start it. I let it sit for 2 months once and it was so dead the parking lights would not turn on. Our cars definitely pull a descent amount of power even with everything turned off.

I keep mine on a tender all the time since my car sits quite a bit.

If you suspect your alarm system find out where it draws power from and put an amp meter on it with the car off. This will tell you what its drawing for power.

14MustangDriver

Established Member
i just got back from the auto parts store i needed to get a new battery charger as the one i had got to 71% and then through an error code and would not start charging again....the weather is supposed to change this weekend for the better but get a little colder so i will spend some time looking things over i never have an issue with it in the warmer weather just when it gets cold...but like i say i haven't driven it as NOBODY in my family will ride in it so the car just spends it's time sitting i also need to invest in some moisture grabbing pellets (DRI-Z-AIR) so the car will be going to the highest bidder when i find them...i did manage to get a name brand battery maintainer (battery tender) that i can mount under the hood and directly to the battery connections so i just have to find a spot out of the way for it

ddtmoto

Established Member
My Tenders come with a pigtail that wires on the cable clamps at the battery with the connection to the tender hanging down the engine compartment that i plug into the tender harness. My tenders don't mount to the car so I can use them one other vehicles in my stable... Tender makes a 25' extension that helps on some combinations.

GerryMX

Established Member
My Tenders come with a pigtail that wires on the cable clamps at the battery with the connection to the tender hanging down the engine compartment that i plug into the tender harness. My tenders don't mount to the car so I can use them one other vehicles in my stable... Tender makes a 25' extension that helps on some combinations.
We are looking at this '12 Mustang with battery drain issue. The owner tried a tender before it didn't help much he said. We'll just wait for it to return from the installation of the new set of tires from 4Wheelonline and we'll inspect the tender and wiring. It seems better to upgrade the tender and get a new battery.

14MustangDriver

Established Member
i bought a new battery for it last year the car charges @14v+/- and the charging system checked out fine at the dealership when i bought it....apparently i put the 3rd battery in this car since it was purchased in 2013, i just think it's weird that my 2008 escape would start after 6 months of sitting and never missed a beat....i was out looking at maintainers last weekend and my brother said i could have the one he bought but i don't know if its a good one or not but for 10 dollars it can't be great but if it does the job once it was worth it...i just got the battery charged up andbefore i put it back in i wanted to ask if anyone else had one of these maintainers from harbor freight and if it would be ok to cut the clamps off and put ring terminals on instead and just hard-wire it right to the terminals

Attachments

• 64284_W5.jpg
    64284_W5.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 64284_W3.jpg
    64284_W3.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 91

2014gtcs

Established Member
I had my factory changed out while it was still under warranty, couple years ago. It's not a great battery and has just enough to turn it over. I do start it often especially when it's cold.

Users who are viewing this thread