Bathroom Shower Re-tile Prices

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Anyone had their bathroom showers re-tiled?
Only thing really left to do to update the house.
I guess we have about 220 square total between the two. The price I got was to remove all the old tile, walls, new dura rock, a few borders with accent tile, recess some stuff in the walls for shampoo bottles, corner shelves, install the new fixtures and recessed lights (provided by me). The price includes the tile, materials, etc.
Maybe I’m out touch with this stuff, but crap the price I got was high.
I know this guy is good, and I’ve seen his work. He’s also someone I’ve known for quite some time.

tistan

Established Member
Anyone had their bathroom showers re-tiled?
Only thing really left to do to update the house.
I guess we have about 220 square total between the two. The price I got was to remove all the old tile, walls, new dura rock, a few borders with accent tile, recess some stuff in the walls for shampoo bottles, corner shelves, install the new fixtures and recessed lights (provided by me). The price includes the tile, materials, etc.
Maybe I’m out touch with this stuff, but crap the price I got was high.
I know this guy is good, and I’ve seen his work. He’s also someone I’ve known for quite some time.

Should be $3-4k, but with the economy booming and already being busy, they might try to get more. That's for the labor, backer, and thinset, whatever tile/grout you choose will be on top of that. I just noticed it was 2 showers so $6-8k

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Should be $3-4k, but with the economy booming and already being busy, they might try to get more. That's for the labor, backer, and thinset, whatever tile/grout you choose will be on top of that. I just noticed it was 2 showers so $6-8k
Correct
$5,600 was the quote.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
So many variables. Is it a mud floor or fiber glass pan. Will vanity have to be pulled? Tile cost could be as low as $1 a sq. ft. Or the skies the limit. Install should be between $5-$8sq. ft. Demo could be expensive if it was originally a all mud install in tub and or shower. Extensive labor is needed. Average bath remodel with everything new between 15k-20k all new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tistan

Established Member
Correct
$5,600 was the quote.
My guy charges $2300 per shower just to do the pan, backer, and install tile. Add in the tear out, modify recesses, and include tile, that sounds pretty fair to me. You want someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to shower pans, you don't want water sitting at all. My setter does the rubber membrane, then the the backer goes over that, then the mortar bed, then he redguards everything with two coats. It is basically double waterproofed. I did a shower once following his guidance and thinking it can't be that hard, but getting the slope right with the mortar is tricky and time consuming if you don't know what you're doing.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
So many variables. Is it a mud floor or fiber glass pan. Will vanity have to be pulled? Tile cost could be as low as $1 a sq. ft. Or the skies the limit. Install should be between $5-$8sq. ft. Demo could be expensive if it was originally a all mud install in tub and or shower. Extensive labor is needed. Average bath remodel with everything new between 15k-20k all new.

Just showers, concrete floors. Tile on the floor needs to come out too. I’ve done all that other stuff myself. The walls need to come out, as it’s drywall, not durarock or concrete board.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Stupid comment.
These aren’t Hispanic guys, and I have a bunch who work for me. This isn’t corporate production crap, and I haven’t hired anyone yet.

I wasn't talking down about Hispanics, sheesh. I see how hard they work on the daily, they dominate quite a few trades. But they're mexicans..it's ok its not racist.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
My guy charges $2300 per shower just to do the pan, backer, and install tile. Add in the tear out, modify recesses, and include tile, that sounds pretty fair to me. You want someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to shower pans, you don't want water sitting at all. My setter does the rubber membrane, then the the backer goes over that, then the mortar bed, then he redguards everything with two coats. It is basically double waterproofed. I did a shower once following his guidance and thinking it can't be that hard, but getting the slope right with the mortar is tricky and time consuming if you don't know what you're doing.

I read your post and actually our new code to prevent setting water, is a 1" slope pre mud bed before the 40 mil pvc liner. Then final bed then rock.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Just showers, concrete floors. Tile on the floor needs to come out too. I’ve done all that other stuff myself. The walls need to come out, as it’s drywall, not durarock or concrete board.

The demo on the concrete floor in the shower is costly. Depending on how old the house is, a new drain inlet may need to be installed to accommodate new procedures. Older shower floors used lead pans. Just another variable that adds to the overall cost.

tistan

Established Member
I read your post and actually our new code to prevent setting water, is a 1" slope pre mud bed before the 40 mil pvc liner. Then final bed then rock.

Damn that has got to be a heavy pan.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds about right.
I was going to tile my downstairs bathroom/laundry room and hallway last year and it was over 3k. I think about 3,200 bucks after all said and done. It's not so much the material that cost so much, it's the labor plus the material.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The demo on the concrete floor in the shower is costly. Depending on how old the house is, a new drain inlet may need to be installed to accommodate new procedures. Older shower floors used lead pans. Just another variable that adds to the overall cost.

House built in 1990, and they’re almost positive no pan. The tile is directly on the recessed concrete.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Sounds about right.
I was going to tile my downstairs bathroom/laundry room and hallway last year and it was over 3k. I think about 3,200 bucks after all said and done. It's not so much the material that cost so much, it's the labor plus the material.
That’s hallway and floors, mines already done Tony. This just the showers.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Damn that has got to be a heavy pan.

Heavy is the change order we just had for true new cast iron claw foot tubs in two new homes. 378lbs to lug up stair. They have a light weight mix for the pre slope.

Users who are viewing this thread