Bassani X-pipe

blk96SVT

Established Member
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I wanted to say hi. I also have a few questions regarding my '96 Cobra. First, I was thinking about purchasing the Bassani x-pipe for my car (which is basically stock). I just wanted to know if I should get an aft-cat system first or if the x-pipe would be fine for now? Also, one more question, its about removing the air silencer. How would I do that and will it hurt the driveability of my car? Sorry this is long, but I figured someone would give me some good advice. Thanks!

Tim

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Go with the X-pipe and keep the stock catbacks. I actually like the sound. Turns into a raspy, older-muscle car sound I think. And from what I've read here and heard from others, there is no HP gain from cat-backs on a stock 4.6. Most people change them out for the sound. Personally I wouldn't waste the money. Use the $300 you'd spend to get a set of gears or springs. :)
As far as the air silencer, its ok to take it off, just make sure you have a good clean filter. Pull the giant cone out, (I think its one clamp, and one 8mm bolt that holds it to the inner fender well) Once its out, you'll notice a large rubber snorkel that goes from the black cone through the inner fender well. Gently pull, and it will pop out of the cone. Snug it all back, and make sure the cone goes back into the rubber grommets on the bottom, and you're all set.

Good luck!

blk96SVT

Established Member
Thanks for your advice on the x-pipe and air silencer. Have you removed your air silencer? Is it even worth it? I will be getting the x-pipe pretty soon here, but only after I get my gears, speedcal, and driveshaft. Thanks again, this is a great site, with a lot of great people with good advice! :)

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Yeah, I have mine out. I honestly noticed a slight improvement, but only when its cold out. I think it lets in a little more warm engine air...but I love the sound :) Not really a big deal if you don't mess with it. Get a CAI someday and forget about it.

Sounds like a nice combo of mods. I will have a set of 4.10's later this year for sure. Good luck with it!
Portage is near the end of the Toll Road right?

SVTMUST97

Established Member
If you are going with Bassani see if it all in one piece not the new one were you have to put together. Also you should put header on it. You will fell a difference. If you want louder sounds change the muffler. Finally if you taking of your air-silencer you should also change your maf to Pro-M or C&L. Eric 97

blk96SVT

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for the info, but I dont think I will be doing any modding for awhile especially after tonight. I got cut off turing onto HWY 6 in Portage and I got into the gravel and slid about 60 or 70 feet, missing a couple of signs. I was almost to a dead stop in the grass when I see I'm going to hit a small, dead 3 foot tall tree. Couldnt do anything about it. Crunched the front quarter panel and my driver side door is a little dinged up, but it could have been a lot worse.

blk96SVT

Established Member
Yeah Portage is right off the toll road. I live about 4 miles or so south of toll road. Where in Ill. are you at? Again thanks for the advice, but I probably wont be doing anything to the Cobra for a little while, until I get her fixed up, then, let the modding begin!!! Cant wait. Later

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread