Basic Gun info

SHONOFF98

Established Member
I just started getting into guns and what not and am looking for any and all kinds of info on what kinds and what not. I held a Kimber handgun the other day at work (make the targets for the police/shooting ranges/etc.) and it felt really good didnt seem to heavy. A couple questions I have are...1) Do I need a CCW to purchase a handgun? 2) If not what does it take if anything to purchase one 3) What are the different types of ammo (I know 9mm, .40, .45 etc but like what are they just bigger?) I've seen some posts on here about 1911's and what not Is that just a certain like model?

Bunch of stupid questions probably, is there any good gun magazines? I looked today at kroger but they didn't have shit.

Tyler

toxicpelican

Established Member
Agreed, Kimber makes very nice 1911s, altho they are pretty expensive for a first gun.

1) You dont need a CCW to purchase a handgun. The CCW just allows you to carry the gun with you out and about daily

2) As far as what you need to purchace one, it depends the state you live in. I know CA gun stuff, here you have to take a stupid little saftey quiz to get a "handgun safety certificate", and theres a waiting period, and you have to prove residency

3) And theres tons of different types of ammo out there, and yes 9mm, .40, .45 auto etc, are refering to the size of the round. But theres alot more to the ammo than that.

1911's are refering to a type of pistol. Modern 1911's are just newer, slightly different pistols that were based off of the origional 1911 .45 pistol designed way back.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
First of all, what do you want out of a gun? Defense or just to shoot as a hobby? Answer that and it will help.

You do not need a CCW unless you intend to carry in public.

Kimbers are known to be of the most accurate hand guns made. They are frequently used in matches. However, that kind of accuracy doesn't mean much in most self defense scenerios.

Yes, those are bullet sizes. For self defense go with a .38 at a minimum. A .40 s&w is a great round for defense and is reliable in most guns.

Check out a glock in .40. Superbly reliable gun with decent accuracy. With a handgun, you don't really need much accuracy anyways as they are close range weapons. Also look at springfields XD series of guns. Same price as a glock and just as reliable and sturdy. Those are all autoloaders. If you want a revolver, check out a 4" ruger or s&w in .357 magnum for self defense.

Last but not least, 1911 is a style of gun that most every manufacturer has copied. I know some will disagree with me here, but MOST of them are not known to be the most reliable guns, and reliability is what counts in a defense weapon.

Here's some you should check out:
Glock
Springfield XD Series
Sig Sauer
Beretta
If you have the money, look at getting an HK usp. Amazing guns, but a little pricey.

If you want home defense, just get a good 12 guage with an 18" barrel. Nothing beats a shot gun for home defense.

On a final note, guns are addictive like cars. You will be left wanting more, increasingly powerful guns. Oh yeah, PLEASE learn propper gun safety techniques as well.

toxicpelican

Established Member
On that same note, if you're just getting into guns, the best way to learn about them is to go to a shooting range with friends who have guns, rent a few more, and basically shoot the hell out of all of em. You will find out what you like real quick

SHONOFF98

Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
First of all, what do you want out of a gun? Defense or just to shoot as a hobby? Answer that and it will help.

You do not need a CCW unless you intend to carry in public.

Kimbers are known to be of the most accurate hand guns made. They are frequently used in matches. However, that kind of accuracy doesn't mean much in most self defense scenerios.

Yes, those are bullet sizes. For self defense go with a .38 at a minimum. A .40 s&w is a great round for defense and is reliable in most guns.

Check out a glock in .40. Superbly reliable gun with decent accuracy. With a handgun, you don't really need much accuracy anyways as they are close range weapons. Also look at springfields XD series of guns. Same price as a glock and just as reliable and sturdy. Those are all autoloaders. If you want a revolver, check out a 4" ruger or s&w in .357 magnum for self defense.

Last but not least, 1911 is a style of gun that most every manufacturer has copied. I know some will disagree with me here, but MOST of them are not known to be the most reliable guns, and reliability is what counts in a defense weapon.

Here's some you should check out:
Glock
Springfield XD Series
Sig Sauer
Beretta
If you have the money, look at getting an HK usp. Amazing guns, but a little pricey.

If you want home defense, just get a good 12 guage with an 18" barrel. Nothing beats a shot gun for home defense.

On a final note, guns are addictive like cars. You will be left wanting more, increasingly powerful guns. Oh yeah, PLEASE learn propper gun safety techniques as well.

It'd be for recreational use (hobby). Are there gun safety classes you can take? I'd definately take one of those because of what a gun can do.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
toxicpelican said:
On that same note, if you're just getting into guns, the best way to learn about them is to go to a shooting range with friends who have guns, rent a few more, and basically shoot the hell out of all of em. You will find out what you like real quick

Definately going to be doing that as well

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
SHONOFF98 said:
It'd be for recreational use (hobby). Are there gun safety classes you can take? I'd definately take one of those because of what a gun can do.

A class is a fine idea, but you can learn those skills on your own as well. IF you just want a shooting gun, get a .22! They are cheap as hell to shoot and pretty fun. I'd STILL opt for at least a .38 though. Trust me, you'll be happy you went with a more powerful gun. The stuff Harry sent you should get you started nicely.

ROCMAN

Big Boned!
Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
On a final note, guns are addictive like cars. You will be left wanting more, increasingly powerful guns.

Yes, they are. I was introduced to guns by my dad when I was young, so I have a great respect for firearms.

I personally love Sig, Kimber, and Para. I don't care for Glock very much, although they are excellent, reliable weapons. I love how smooth the Sig Sauers are. The Kimbers are great. I have a real nice Kimber .45 that is dead accurate. I would start with a 9mm or a .40 S&W. They have a good amount of power, and are not too expensive to shoot. When you get into the higher calibers, the price per shot dramatically goes up.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
ROCMAN said:
Yes, they are. I was introduced to guns by my dad when I was young, so I have a great respect for firearms.

I personally love Sig, Kimber, and Para. I don't care for Glock very much, although they are excellent, reliable weapons. I love how smooth the Sig Sauers are. The Kimbers are great. I have a real nice Kimber .45 that is dead accurate. I would start with a 9mm or a .40 S&W. They have a good amount of power, and are not too expensive to shoot. When you get into the higher calibers, the price per shot dramatically goes up.

This is what I did. I have a Glock.23 (40S&W) and a Springfield XD (9mm)

The Springfield is by far my favorite.

Kimbers are very very nice as previously stated.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
you cant buy a handgun until you turn 21. after that go to a gun range with someone experienced to teach you everything. Then shoot diff. types of guns. No one can tell you what gun to get because its all personal pref. good luck

Sapperstang

Established Member
Learn your local laws. Find a website that explains them in detail. You are responsible to know the local laws. They vary state to state.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
03silversvt said:
you cant buy a handgun until you turn 21. after that go to a gun range with someone experienced to teach you everything. Then shoot diff. types of guns. No one can tell you what gun to get because its all personal pref. good luck

Really? Do you have to be 21 to go to the shooting range?

ROCMAN

Big Boned!
Established Member
I recently got one of these. If you like rifles, then this is one to consider.

ssg3000.jpg

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Boned!
Established Member
SHONOFF98 said:
Really? Do you have to be 21 to go to the shooting range?

Here in Cali, you don't have to be 21 to go to a range. Just owning one requires that, but that may vary state to state.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
also remember...if you have a CCW permit you can walk out of the store with your gun that day..if not it requires 5 business days which is a week sometimes..

like mentioned above...if you want the hot newer gun the XD is what everyone it seems is talking about...very nice feeling. great price (they orignally were much cheaper but..well demand) and a large variaty of finishes, barrel lengths and chambers. for the price i wouldnt think twice about gettin this over a kimber or sig for a first gun.

Users who are viewing this thread