Basic 99/01 FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
Thanks for all the great info. I just bought an 01 True Blue Vert. It has 16,000 original miles and is bone stock. I was thinking about changing all the fluids in the car and was wondering is this is a good idea.

I found this info. for the tranny:
TREMEC engineers have recommended Texaco-Havoline Dexron III/Mercon Non-Synthetic ATF. The most recent Ford owner's manuals specify 3.17 quarts of a non-synthetic Mercon ATF. There has been a significant amount of confusion regarding the proper capacity and proper type of ATF for the TR-3650 which may have a correlation with a rather large number of complaints about notchy shifting, shift "nibbling", noisy synchros, and grinding gears.

Any thoughts?

Also I want to put synthetic in the motor. Is this a good time or wait for higer mileage? Thanks

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
01BlueCobraVert said:
Also I want to put synthetic in the motor. Is this a good time or wait for higer mileage? Thanks

It is always a good time to put in synthetic. Ours have been synthetic since the engines were broken in.

AF_Snake

USAF
Established Member
Coming from a new guy who just bougth his first Cobra, THANK YOU!!!
It has been extremely hard for me to find information regarding certain things, and i believe you may have just convinced me to not sell my Cobra. Im In the military and my Cobra and i are stationed in Germany, im on my way back to Ohio where im orignally from and then to my follow on assignment in Maryland, I want a coupe due to the fact that i love racing..and am still maybe looking for someone willing to possibly trade. but thats besides the point, thanks agiain, and i know who to ask for in the future. One quick question....How the hell do you go about getting the coil packs off to get to the plugs im looking at it and am completely mind boggled, know where i can get a step by step?

Thanks again!!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Coming from a new guy who just bougth his first Cobra, THANK YOU!!!
It has been extremely hard for me to find information regarding certain things, and i believe you may have just convinced me to not sell my Cobra. Im In the military and my Cobra and i are stationed in Germany, im on my way back to Ohio where im orignally from and then to my follow on assignment in Maryland, I want a coupe due to the fact that i love racing..and am still maybe looking for someone willing to possibly trade. but thats besides the point, thanks agiain, and i know who to ask for in the future. One quick question....How the hell do you go about getting the coil packs off to get to the plugs im looking at it and am completely mind boggled, know where i can get a step by step?

Thanks again!!

remove two 10mm bolts on the coil covers (attached to the valve covers)...then remove cover, pull coils off, use a 12" extension to get down to the plugs...

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
You may have to remove part of the intake track (from MAF to throttle body) on the passenger to get a little extra working room if you need it. Takes just a few minutes and not a big deal.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Yes, they should be.

However, your tuner will certainly want to log a/f and fuel pump duty cycle.

If you end up hitting 100% duty cycle at close to redline, there are a few tricks you can use to get a little bit more headroom.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I'd like to make one slight correction. The NGK plug that is 2 ranges colder than stock isn't a TR7, its a BR7. More specifically its the BR7EF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread