Basic 99/01 FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprsnke

Established Member
Great info.......any input on a intermitent "Cylinder 6 Misfire". I changed the plug and the coil for that cylinder, but it came back. Talking w/ a friend at Ford he says it could be a number of different parts. I'm going to swap injectors to see what happens. Any other suggestions.

Thanks.

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
? for ya,QUADCAMMER. regarding alum. blocks 96/98,99/01. teksid,italy alum. block sand casted that's why their heavier and harder to drill/tap into. windsor alum. plant block probably 'lost foam' poured per. example g.m. blocks & cyl. heads 'lost foam' castings done in Moncinie (misspelled-can't remember correct spelling).This type,'lost foam' gives a cleaner,lighter block & head. esp. with oil drain areas. sand casted blocks & heads leave area's that you have to chip at,ex. cyl. head oil drain area's to open-up. i hope this is right info. for Ford blocks & cyl. heads! MOST OF ALL... AMERICAN MADE IS THE BEST MADE !!!!!!!! another ? why don't you like fram oil filters..i understand motorcraft...stock parts.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
fram have cheap anti drain back valves and a bunch of other problems

every filter test has shown their problems.

ConsSVTCobra

ThE iNSaNE iRiSHMaN
Established Member
fatboyq said:
Awesome post, I think all new members should be required to read this post before posting anything as it will answer 90% of their questions. And will really help them to understand their cars.

Some one should elaborate on the IRS in 99-04 Cobras as well, and interior changes to seats, radio in 01.

all I want to know is why did Ford cheap out on the 99 Cobra by giving us a 99 GT bumper, hood, spoiler, seats??

I TOTALLY agree! The cars look the exact same except some Cobra/SVT emblums? One V6 and one V8 Cobra, same color, same year, pass by you at 50+ mph you CANNOT tell the difference.

They DID CHEAP out!

ConsSVTCobra

ThE iNSaNE iRiSHMaN
Established Member
SmartA@@! People like that (you) FEEL like they have to, "rag" on others when asking for help, opinions ans etc.

Can I AT LEAST ask you WHY you would post that? For what only had two and where shootin' for three posts? WTF, man: Ease up!?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
ConsSVTCobra said:
I TOTALLY agree! The cars look the exact same except some Cobra/SVT emblums? One V6 and one V8 Cobra, same color, same year, pass by you at 50+ mph you CANNOT tell the difference.

They DID CHEAP out!
While I understand why a lot of buyers like to have the Cobra look different than the other cars, don't forget the fraction of us that enjoy sleeper cars. I have always been a fan of the big horsepower/stealth look (i.e. the BB cars from the late 60's and the Fox LX 5.0 and the 95 GLS(?) stripped V8 Mustang) so for me, the blah-blah look with only a slight difference works.

I actually joked with the dealer when we bought the 01 on whether or not he could pull off the emblems and rear bumper and swap on V6 parts. He looked at me crazy (as I am sure you are doing right now) and asked, "Why on earth would you want to do that?" I calmly stated, "Would you expect to beat a 6 cyl/GT in a street race or a Cobra."

To each his own.. that is why there is a billion plus dollar aftermarket industry.

01cobrasouth

01cobrasouth
Established Member
Look in the valley under the intake if it has diamond shapes its a wap block if it has squares it is a teksid.

brkntrxn

Established Member
To give a visual to the differences between the interiors of 99 and 01 Cobra's, here are a few pics of my two. Both are black on black cars with stock interiors, except for the guages on the 99.

If you see these questions on any other threads, please direct them here since it is asked so often.

SEATS
As you can see in the pics, the 99 seats have a perforated leather insert whereas the 01 has the Alcantra suede insert, front and rear. The side bolsters on the 01 are also more pronounced for better lateral support.

2001 SEATS

IMG_5825.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg

1999 SEATS

IMG_5832.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
CUP HOLDERS, FOG LIGHT BUTTON AND RADIO

You can see, the 1999 radio was a CD/Tape combo vs the 6 CD Changer without a tape deck in the 01.

The cup holders are in a different configuration... the extra button you see on the 01 next to the cup holder is for the convertible top. On hardtops, that is a small change divot which is close to the emergency brake handle on the 99.

The traction control button on the 99 and 01's are in basically the same location, but the fog light button on the 99 is near the cup holders while on the 01 it is next to the traction control and defrost button.

2001 CENTER CONSOLE AND RADIO

IMG_5828.jpg

IMG_5842.jpg

1999 CENTER CONSOLE AND RADIO

IMG_5835.jpg

IMG_5840.jpg

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
REAR DEFROST BUTTON

On the 99, the rear defrost button is on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. On the 01, it is in the middle console next to the traction control and fog light buttons.

2001 DASH

IMG_5831.jpg

1999 DASH

IMG_5837.jpg

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
If I missed any other differences on the interiors, let me know and I will take more pics.

Thanks.

ConsSVTCobra

ThE iNSaNE iRiSHMaN
Established Member
brkntrxn said:
If I missed any other differences on the interiors, let me know and I will take more pics.

Thanks.

Nice pic.s man. Never new the basic int. difference.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Also, here is the option list on an 01 Black Convertible:

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
5-Speed Manual Transmission -- No Charge
Black Convertible Roof -- No Charge
Front Floor Mats -- 30.00
Rear Spoiler, Sing Wing -- 195.00
Wheels, 17" Polished Alum -- 395.00

Last edited:

aydina

Established Member
This is information is very helpfull. I have a quick clarification question about cleaning out the MAF. Whats the name of the electric cleaner that we should use and will it be obvious is the MAF is dirty enough to rob horsepower?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
CRC electronics cleaner. available at autozone.

and no, the maf wires do not get obviously dirty unless you seriously over oiled your maf or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread