Barton short shifter problem

evoryne

Established Member
Hey guys I just installed my barton short shifter and single post bracket, it feels good except that when I shift to 1st and 2nd I have to lightly push the shifter towards the left then push it into gear, if I give it anymore force towards the left it feels like it hits something and won't go into gear. Has anyone had this problem and how can I fix it? Also reverse doesn't click into gear I just push down and it bary moves but still goes into gear is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SirJAG

Established Member
normal for reverse....

now for 1st and 2nd. double check your 4 anchor bolts on the top. The ones that bolt into the houesing. I did an install for my buddy and we didnt tighten them down completely because we were worried about breaking them off...that made us have about a 1/16 gap, and that prevented easy engagement in first/second. tightened the bolts up about 2 turns on all four, and it goes right into gear...

good luck bud.

Defiant 5.0

Established Member
Also make sure that the rubber boot is pulled down over the base of the shifter. That's actually a trick that Dave Barton himself taught me at Mustang Week last weekend. Great guy, btw. He really goes the extra mile for his customers.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
I don't know if it would help but, when I installed mine BEFORE tightening everything up, I put the shifter in 3rd, and tightened it all up(shifter base and bracket). Been on 1,500-1,600mi and no issues...

Also X2 on checking rubber boot. :beer:

Torchy

Established Member
Also make sure that the rubber boot is pulled down over the base of the shifter. That's actually a trick that Dave Barton himself taught me at Mustang Week last weekend. Great guy, btw. He really goes the extra mile for his customers.

I can vouch for Dave Barton too. I had a issue and he sent me a whole new shifter.

evoryne

Established Member
Hey guys I reinstalled the shifter and made sure the boot was fit properly, but it's still hard to get into 1st and 2nd when I try to give it some force. I did notice there is some play in the linkage and shifter as a whole when I move around the shifter. Any ideas?

SirJAG

Established Member
That sounds odd. The play. Everyone I have seen is rock solid installed. May need to call them and ask.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Hey guys I reinstalled the shifter and made sure the boot was fit properly, but it's still hard to get into 1st and 2nd when I try to give it some force. I did notice there is some play in the linkage and shifter as a whole when I move around the shifter. Any ideas?

Did you transfer the plastic cup from the stock shifter to the Barton? Did you buy the Barton used (ie, do you know if it is an early production model)?

evoryne

Established Member
Yes the plastic cup that sits on the pivot ball I did replace and yes it's used not sure if its a early production though. We're there issues with the early barton shifters?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes the plastic cup that sits on the pivot ball I did replace and yes it's used not sure if its a early production though. We're there issues with the early barton shifters?

Ford changed the "shifter box" on the 2013 cars (made it slightly deeper I believe) and the earlier Bartons will not work properly on it. Barton seems to be a pretty good company, if you call them and explain your situation they will probably help you out.

I'm not sure if other shifters that reuse the Ford box have the same issue, but I do know that the MGW was unaffected by that change because they completely replace the factory shifter assembly (sans the linkage arm).

Xtreme_lyb

Established Member
Hey guys I just installed my barton short shifter and single post bracket, it feels good except that when I shift to 1st and 2nd I have to lightly push the shifter towards the left then push it into gear, if I give it anymore force towards the left it feels like it hits something and won't go into gear. Has anyone had this problem and how can I fix it? Also reverse doesn't click into gear I just push down and it bary moves but still goes into gear is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

I know it's an old thread, but did you ever had it working? I'm having that same exact problem. Thanks.

Xtreme_lyb

Established Member
NVM! I found that I have to switch the shifter handle with the "2013" side to the driver side.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-short-shifter-mt82-manu-install.html

Users who are viewing this thread