BAP/Wiring Upgrade Installation Directions

mrose75

Established Member
I just got a used BAP and I have a couple of questions. First, when's the best time to install it? I have it here and it may be a while before I actually tune the car. Is it safe to install now before I need the fuel? Second, looking at the picture on page 3 by FEARLE5S (post 68), what is the black square with the white cirlce on the left? Is that the Hobbs Switch(Dial) that i've seen in the orignal pics posted in the beginning of this thread? I have no such switch or wiring upgrade for that matter. My BAP has 3 black wires and two red. One red is fused (30amp), one is cut and I believe goes to the FPDM harness. One black wire has a terminal on it, ground wire I assume. One black wire has a red and black wire inside shorted to each other. The last black wire also has a red and black wire, it has been cut. Where does this go? Looking at post 68 it seem that that is the wire that goes to the black box w/white circle. Also, the 8 gauge fused wire from the engine compartment, how long should that be? Is it a 40 amp fuse? Where can I pick one up, any Radio Shack or car stereo installer? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I just got a used BAP and I have a couple of questions. First, when's the best time to install it? I have it here and it may be a while before I actually tune the car. Is it safe to install now before I need the fuel? Second, looking at the picture on page 3 by FEARLE5S (post 68), what is the black square with the white cirlce on the left? Is that the Hobbs Switch(Dial) that i've seen in the orignal pics posted in the beginning of this thread? I have no such switch or wiring upgrade for that matter. My BAP has 3 black wires and two red. One red is fused (30amp), one is cut and I believe goes to the FPDM harness. One black wire has a terminal on it, ground wire I assume. One black wire has a red and black wire inside shorted to each other. The last black wire also has a red and black wire, it has been cut. Where does this go? Looking at post 68 it seem that that is the wire that goes to the black box w/white circle. Also, the 8 gauge fused wire from the engine compartment, how long should that be? Is it a 40 amp fuse? Where can I pick one up, any Radio Shack or car stereo installer? Thanks.

just get the bap wiring upgrade from lethal. It will come with a power wire, relay, and such. Will make install super easy. You dont need the hobbs switch. If you want to install now that is fine. Just set the controller to 0 and then kick it up when you get it tuned.

mrose75

Established Member
there is a little knob that goes from 0 to like 50........turn it to zero:poke:

:beer:

LOL, yeah, but if I don't do the Hobbs switch how do I turn it down? Or do I ot install it without the hobbs switch because it'll be at 50% all the time? Or am I just totally confused?

forcefedcobra

Established Member
LOL, yeah, but if I don't do the Hobbs switch how do I turn it down? Or do I ot install it without the hobbs switch because it'll be at 50% all the time? Or am I just totally confused?

you are totally confused. the hobbs switch will just activate the bap when it reads boost...........most wire the bap up pre fpdm so it is on all the time and let the tune modulate everything. crank that knob over to 50 and let er rip.

Spoolx

Established Member
Found this in another thread

wiring1.jpg

DarkMach1

Established Member
Does the 40amp KB BAP come with the 40amp fuse or is it something that can be bought for added safety.

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Does the 40amp KB BAP come with the 40amp fuse or is it something that can be bought for added safety.

I believe it comes with a 30 amp fuse. You also need to increase the fuel pump fuse in the fuse box under the hood from 20 to 30.

DarkMach1

Established Member
I believe it comes with a 30 amp fuse. You also need to increase the fuel pump fuse in the fuse box under the hood from 20 to 30.

Isn't 30 too low? Or is the 40amp rating of the BAP when maxed out? What's the normal setting of a BAP with a ported/pullied(upper only) Eaton, 15% or so?

DarkMach1

Established Member
I also have another question which I figure Ill ask here even though its a bit off topic hopefully you guys wont get upset. Im about to buy a used MAFia, the guy had it on his lightning and bought it new in 08, but he's going bigger now so needs to get rid of it. I believe cobras and lightnings use the same 7373 part number, does anyone see anything wrong with getting a used MAFia? Thanks.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Isn't 30 too low? Or is the 40amp rating of the BAP when maxed out? What's the normal setting of a BAP with a ported/pullied(upper only) Eaton, 15% or so?

It has been a while since I installed mine. There is a fuse holder that came with the BAP. It is a 30 amp fuse. I had to replace mine Saturday due to a fried fuel pump.
I also have the wire upgrade which has a much bigger glass fuse.
When I get home tonight I'll see what that one is unless some one has that info handy.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I also have another question which I figure Ill ask here even though its a bit off topic hopefully you guys wont get upset. Im about to buy a used MAFia, the guy had it on his lightning and bought it new in 08, but he's going bigger now so needs to get rid of it. I believe cobras and lightnings use the same 7373 part number, does anyone see anything wrong with getting a used MAFia? Thanks.

It is rare that you ever hear about a Mafia going bad.
Mine has been in for 6 years.
You should be fine.

HELLFYR

Back in the game
Established Member
Actually much easier than it sounds.

Keep in mind that running without the knob means you are running at full "boost" all the time.

Hack off the end of the RCA jack that runs to the knob.
Strip back the coating on that cable and locate the 2 wires that were running to the jack.
Connect them together. Done.

Rod

Spoolx

Established Member
Anyone ever mount the BAP on the FPDM bracket? Not really feeling like drilling holes into my sheetmetal

Users who are viewing this thread