Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Stone Temple Pilots w/ Weiland
Brooks & Dunn
Damn Yankees
Hall & Oates
Tom Petty
Motley Crue w/ John Corabi on vocals. That 94 album was SICK.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I have no desire to go to any political rallies disguised as concerts, so I don't 'miss' anyone. The music is eternal so it is and will always be available.

CV355

_
Established Member
I agree with many of the responses above.

Agalloch. They disbanded not too long ago, which was a shame since they were unique in my mind.
Strapping Young Lad. Devin Townsend is still making amazing music, but I miss the raw aggression of SYL.
Old Opeth. I love New Opeth, but I miss old Opeth too.

I'm also kinda sad that Storm Corrosion was a one-album project.

I have no desire to go to any political rallies disguised as concerts, so I don't 'miss' anyone. The music is eternal so it is and will always be available.

You mean like Pearl Jam?

ssssnake

Established Member
Well, of course,The Doors and Hendrix. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tom Petty, Stone Temple Pilots with Weiland. Buffalo Springfield - so much talent in one band. The Who with all four band members, as the Beach Boys with all members.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I agree with many of the responses above.

Agalloch. They disbanded not too long ago, which was a shame since they were unique in my mind.
Strapping Young Lad. Devin Townsend is still making amazing music, but I miss the raw aggression of SYL.
Old Opeth. I love New Opeth, but I miss old Opeth too.

I'm also kinda sad that Storm Corrosion was a one-album project.

You mean like Pearl Jam?
To say I miss Opeth is an understatement. Dotn get me wrong, Akerfeldt can do whatever he damn well pleases with his band. HOWEVER, the last show I went to of Opeth's was 7 years ago. Clean vocal songs only, literally none of their signature shit. Apparently thats kinda been the norm for them now so Watershed was that last real listen Ive given them.

You know who else I miss? In Flames with Jesper Stromblad. Where they have gone without him is just absolutely sad and tragic. Bjorn Gellotte can write great riffs, but the heaviness of the riffs and the band overall was all from Jesper.

CV355

_
Established Member
To say I miss Opeth is an understatement. Dotn get me wrong, Akerfeldt can do whatever he damn well pleases with his band. HOWEVER, the last show I went to of Opeth's was 7 years ago. Clean vocal songs only, literally none of their signature shit. Apparently thats kinda been the norm for them now so Watershed was that last real listen Ive given them.

You know who else I miss? In Flames with Jesper Stromblad. Where they have gone without him is just absolutely sad and tragic. Bjorn Gellotte can write great riffs, but the heaviness of the riffs and the band overall was all from Jesper.

I couldn't agree more on both!! Akerfeldt blew his voice out around the Watershed days. He still gives it his all, and he still tries to do the growls/screams in their live shows, but you can tell he's getting older and simply can't do it anymore. Plus with them going more 70's prog-oriented, his clean vocals work really well, so he naturally progressed to that. I do miss the old stuff though. Orchid to Ghost Reveries are 100% timeless. Ghost of Perdition is one of my favorites of all time.

Old In Flames! Yes!! I really haven't enjoyed their stuff in almost a decade. Sounds of a Playground Fading was ok. They had two tracks on Siren Charms that I thought were decent. Otherwise it has started to sound like typical melodic metal with no uniqueness to it. The late 90's / early '00s were my favorite In Flames era.

You know who somehow avoided the "They changed" pitfall? Katatonia. If you exclude Brave Murder Day (which was more Akerfeldt than Renske), they have managed to keep a similar sound somehow sounding new for over 20 years. Their latest few have been incredible. I'd group Fear Factory in there too.

Behemoth sort of did the inverse. I love their last few albums. The older stuff is good too, but Nergal is just on a roll with the new sound. Their hardcore fans hate the new stuff, but I prefer melodic.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Well, of course,The Doors and Hendrix. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tom Petty, Stone Temple Pilots with Weiland. Buffalo Springfield - so much talent in one band. The Who with all four band members, as the Beach Boys with all members.
SRV was an amazing artist, and knew nothing about music theory. He played what felt and sounded good.

Sent from my [toilet] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I couldn't agree more on both!! Akerfeldt blew his voice out around the Watershed days. He still gives it his all, and he still tries to do the growls/screams in their live shows, but you can tell he's getting older and simply can't do it anymore. Plus with them going more 70's prog-oriented, his clean vocals work really well, so he naturally progressed to that. I do miss the old stuff though. Orchid to Ghost Reveries are 100% timeless. Ghost of Perdition is one of my favorites of all time.

Old In Flames! Yes!! I really haven't enjoyed their stuff in almost a decade. Sounds of a Playground Fading was ok. They had two tracks on Siren Charms that I thought were decent. Otherwise it has started to sound like typical melodic metal with no uniqueness to it. The late 90's / early '00s were my favorite In Flames era.

You know who somehow avoided the "They changed" pitfall? Katatonia. If you exclude Brave Murder Day (which was more Akerfeldt than Renske), they have managed to keep a similar sound somehow sounding new for over 20 years. Their latest few have been incredible. I'd group Fear Factory in there too.

Behemoth sort of did the inverse. I love their last few albums. The older stuff is good too, but Nergal is just on a roll with the new sound. Their hardcore fans hate the new stuff, but I prefer melodic.

Will be giving Behemoth a listen! If you havent, YOU NEED to find and listen to The Resistance, especially the Torture Tactics EP. old school swedish death!

Love Katatonia! One of my favorites from them is The Great Cold Distance. Ironically enough, the last Opeth show I went to had Katatonia opening.. :D

BLOODBATH! \m/

SRV was an amazing artist, and knew nothing about music theory. He played what felt and sounded good.

Sent from my [toilet] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SRV was a ****ing legend. Gone wwaaaaayyyyy too soon. :( Somthing about guitar players from Texas lmao

CV355

_
Established Member
Will be giving Behemoth a listen! If you havent, YOU NEED to find and listen to The Resistance, especially the Torture Tactics EP. old school swedish death!

Love Katatonia! One of my favorites from them is The Great Cold Distance. Ironically enough, the last Opeth show I went to had Katatonia opening.. :D

BLOODBATH! \m/

Bloodbath!! YES!!

I'll give The Resistance a listen right now. I have a lot of typing to do today for work, so music helps!

*Edit*
30 seconds in. Yup! Reminds me a lot of Edge of Sanity and early In Flames (hmm, may have to do with the guitarist). The bassist from MAN is on this too? Geez, remember when that video was going viral, what with Rob's microtonal guitar?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I miss the Metallica line-up of Cliff Burton, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammet, and Lars Ulrich. (The good 'ole days!)
I also miss the original line-up of Slayer and Megadeth.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
A big one for me is RATM
Also AIC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pantera, early Mudvayne (first album), Jane's Addiction, White Stripes, Sabbath, Ozzy...
There are many more, that's just off the top of my head right now.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I miss the Metallica line-up of Cliff Burton, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammet, and Lars Ulrich. (The good 'ole days!)
I also miss the original line-up of Slayer and Megadeth.
I kinda say the same for Jason. I know, I know Cliff was on the first 3... but damnit if I dont watch Seattle '89 and think that, right there, with Jason that they werent in their prime on that tour.

@98 svt Ive only ever seen videos on youtube as far as Nirvana live shows go. I would have loved to have seen them play live. I was only in grade school when they had their 4 year reign at the top of the grunge era, but they had an ENORMOUS impact on me musically. Without Nirvana, I would have never gone into the heavier music.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Allmann Brothers - Duane Allmann was a guitar god. Many people don’t know he was a big part of the guitar solos on Layla.

Eric Clapton said the best guitar solo he has ever heard was Duane Allmann playing Guitar on Wilson Picketts version of Hey Jude. You can find it on YouTube.

Lynyrd Skynrd - freebird live is enough evidence

Rush - fantastic progressive rock.

SRV and Hendrix - little wing mastery

Led Zepplin - Greatest Band ever IMO

Van Morrison - into the mystic is a favorite.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I kinda say the same for Jason. I know, I know Cliff was on the first 3... but damnit if I dont watch Seattle '89 and think that, right there, with Jason that they werent in their prime on that tour.
I'll agree with that!!

Speaking of Newstead, AJFA was a pretty good album. Not great, but pretty good. lol
The 5.98 EP is killer!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I'll agree with that!!

Speaking of Newstead, AJFA was a pretty good album. Not great, but pretty good. lol
The 5.98 EP is killer!
I was severely let down that the "remaster" they did on Justice for the 30th anniversary was minimal. So many real remasters using the CD data or the data supplied to Guitar Hero. My most favoritest track from Metallica is Blackened. The remaster version by Andy Khariat on youtube is, IMO the best mastering AJFA could be held to. Personal opinion of course, but here it is:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I was severely let down that the "remaster" they dod on Justice for the 30 anniversary was minimal. So many real remasters using the CD data or the data supplied to Guitar Hero. My most favoritest track from Metallica is Blackened. The remaster version by Andy Khariat on youtue is, IMO the best mastering AJFA could be held to. Personal opinion of course, but here it is:

LOL
That's one of my favorites on that album as well.
Dyer's Eve is pretty awesome too.

Users who are viewing this thread