Bama tune and related question.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
So I purchased all my parts and they're on the way, it'll be a busy couple of days to get it all done, but she'll be pristine by the time i'm done.

I figured I'd try out AM's Bama iTSX Wireless Tuner: Bama Mustang iTSX Wireless Tuner w/ 3 Custom Tunes 38029G94SE (96-98 Cobra)

...and see how it works. Read good things and bad, so i'm hoping they don't make my car run too rich or severely F it up where I should've just spent the extra money to take it to my local overpriced motorsports shop. They just informed me that their tuner doesn't turn off the Check Engine light when deleting the SAI or EGR. Which was one of the main reasons I wanted to get a tuner and get that turned off when I get my exhaust on, also to have it run a little better, but mostly to get that light turned off. So now what do I do? Do I have to go out and get an SCT X4 tuner now? Any other way to get around this? Take the bulb out :p J/K

CobraSam

Established Member
It’s not that the shop won’t turn the EGR off, it’s more of the tuning software doesn’t support it. SCT and other companies were ordered to stop altering emission (u can thank our wonderful Democratic leadership). That being said, don’t be surprised if BAMA won’t turn of CEL or EGR stuff in their tunes either. HP tuners is the only company, I believe, that still allows for turning off of the EGR. I just went through this with my tuner, who is a “overpriced” speed shop owner and a good friend. I ended up going Holley EFI, but that’s a whole other story.
You CAN NOT do it using SCT. Like I said, I’ll be surprised if BAMA does. I could be wrong, but....
Bottom line is you’re probably better of going to a tuner and “overpay” to get it all figured out correctly. Call some other tuners or kindly ask some expert remote tuners on this site for their assistance and hire them.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s not that the shop won’t turn the EGR off, it’s more of the tuning software doesn’t support it. SCT and other companies were ordered to stop altering emission (u can thank our wonderful Democratic leadership). That being said, don’t be surprised if BAMA won’t turn of CEL or EGR stuff in their tunes either. HP tuners is the only company, I believe, that still allows for turning off of the EGR. I just went through this with my tuner, who is a “overpriced” speed shop owner and a good friend. I ended up going Holley EFI, but that’s a whole other story.
You CAN NOT do it using SCT. Like I said, I’ll be surprised if BAMA does. I could be wrong, but....
Bottom line is you’re probably better of going to a tuner and “overpay” to get it all figured out correctly. Call some other tuners or kindly ask some expert remote tuners on this site for their assistance and hire them.

Know of any remote tuners I could ask?

CobraSam

Established Member
I don’t know any of them personally, so I don’t think it would be right to throw there names around. Maybe weird, but that’s just how I am. I do suggest starting a new thread titled, “need remote tuner to hire” or something along those lines. I do know there are a few who are great and have helped a lot of members.

CobraSam

Established Member
I can reach out to my friend who owns a Mustang Performance shop, who is top notch. And ask if he has any interest in helping you with a remote tune. I’m just not sure if he does that. Keep in mind with remote tunes, you’ll have to have a way to data log and send and receive files.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t know any of them personally, so I don’t think it would be right to throw there names around. Maybe weird, but that’s just how I am. I do suggest starting a new thread titled, “need remote tuner to hire” or something along those lines. I do know there are a few who are great and have helped a lot of members.

I'll have to do that if your friend can't do it. I'll be able to data log with this Bama tuner, but not sure if it sends data that only Bama can read?

jman37

Established Member
All this emission stuff came to be from diesels. Just go on any diesel truck site and all the companies who used to do tuning, no longer do it, or do it in super secrecy. Thanks to the EPA. H&S was the first who got bagged around 2014. SCT and EZ Lynk are the latest who got hit with big fines and no longer offer EGR/emission stuff to be written out. That being said, if you find an older NOT UPDATED X4 the capability should still be there to turn stuff like that off.

As far as datalogging, the files should be stored on the device and you can download them yourself and send them to who you please, it's not specific to just Bama seeing them.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Alright. BTW the Bama tunes for our cars are not bad. Also they have been redoing all of their tunes for newer cars and moving backwards but will probably stop prior to 04 as there were never really any issues with the 96-04 tunes. If it was, it was just the random shit that happens sometimes when loading tunes onto a tuner and then the car. Sometimes they brick, or sometimes people didnt tell the correct info so the tune makes the car shit, sometimes shit isnt up to date. Anywho, I would recommend going away from the iTSX and just stick with a normal X4. There is nothing special about it other then it sits on your OBD2 and you see stuff onto your phone through the app. I tried it when it first came out on a few mustangs(coworkers) and my mountaineer at the time. Its slow and just an added step honestly. I have a livewire but that is because I got it for free. The new one is probably better, but sometimes I still wish I had an X4 for ease of use (old livewire screen is a pain in the balls). But I wont get rid of it due to it having the old firmware on it and I have all the old SCT software on a computer next to me.

If they know everything about your car, the tunes are pretty straight forward so i would not worry about them messing your car up. I have been running them on my cobra since 2014 maybe? without issue. That includes many experimental tunes that you could only do back then and definitely not nowadays.

If you want I know the head guy at said company and can ask him for you.

Jman is correct on X4s are not Bama tuners so info/datalogging can be sent to anyone that uses SCT software and anyone using said software can tune your car. They dont really need dyno tunes until you go FI; even then not so much.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
If you want I know the head guy at said company and can ask him for you.

If you could that'd be great! Maybe you could also tell him to have the staff actually read their emails. It asked me to request my tune and register everything, including getting the number off my engine computer...except, it calls you by what name is on the order. So since I don't feel like having my packages stolen off my front porch, I sent it to my wife's work, so now they won't stop calling me by my wife's name. I already tried to correct then once but we'll see if they catch on.

My wife actually just went out last year and bought a used X4 to tune her GT500, so I may try that route to see if it gives me the option to turn it off. I know it still has 2 spots left for other vehicles than what it was used on.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
(u can thank our wonderful Democratic leadership)
This is why I'm pushing to get this done right now before the EPA passes that new bill that would make it illegal to modify your car unless it's a one-off racecar without a stock frame.

Probably why the majority of parts suppliers for us (CJ,AM,LMR,etc...) have been out of stock on my headers lately. Scary

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
If you could that'd be great! Maybe you could also tell him to have the staff actually read their emails. It asked me to request my tune and register everything, including getting the number off my engine computer...except, it calls you by what name is on the order. So since I don't feel like having my packages stolen off my front porch, I sent it to my wife's work, so now they won't stop calling me by my wife's name. I already tried to correct then once but we'll see if they catch on.

My wife actually just went out last year and bought a used X4 to tune her GT500, so I may try that route to see if it gives me the option to turn it off. I know it still has 2 spots left for other vehicles than what it was used on.

Yea let me see if hell respond at any point lol. If she is using that X4, you cannot use it for your car.

Only way to do that would be to return her tune back to stock(which removes an unlock), then use it on your car which if you wanted to use it on her car again, you would need to unmarry it(return to your stock or original tune), which would leave you at 0 unlocks then you would need to send it back to SCT. So just keep them seperate

jman37

Established Member
If you want something cool as an "all in one" get the GTX. That's what I have on my PSD, cloud based, never need to plug into a computer and it's a monitor as well. I have an old X4 for my Marauder and an old X4 for my Cobra and none of my stuff will ever get updated. My GTX was pre EPA bullshit.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
Yea let me see if hell respond at any point lol. If she is using that X4, you cannot use it for your car.

Only way to do that would be to return her tune back to stock(which removes an unlock), then use it on your car which if you wanted to use it on her car again, you would need to unmarry it(return to your stock or original tune), which would leave you at 0 unlocks then you would need to send it back to SCT. So just keep them seperate

She bought it last year off eBay, and it's a Edelbrock branded X4 (which i've never seen), but I guess it was part of some promotion. The PO used one of the 3 tuning spots on it and sold it to be used for 2 different applications, not sure when it was made but it is an X4. My wife's Shelby was tuned back in the early 10's I believe when it was the X2 tuner I believe. It's an oldy that came with the car, looks like it would run on dial-up lol. Anyway, our plan is to have her car tested and tuned at the dyno because it has a bunch more go-fast goodies done to it than my car, and so that'll suck up one of the slots on the tuner, and then the last one would be for my car. So it may work right?

Do we have any X4 gurus out there that can access or know how to access the special features that my wife's tuner might have to turn off any CEL's when it comes to emissions removal?

jman37

Established Member
Negative. Once the car is tuned on that device it's married to it. The spots you're talking about are number of unlocks left to the device before it's useless.

Users who are viewing this thread