Bama performance vs race tune

Jacksonracing89

I am curious what exactly the difference is between the bama performance and bama race tune. I bought the car second hand with the race tune already installed but I was having an issue with the trans (automatic) sometimes hesitating to move on to the next gear unless I gave it more gas. This was a very rare occasion but what really got me to thinking was how hard the trans shifted (especially from first to second). It will literally throw you forward. On my day off, I decided that I would play around with the tuner so I took it back to stock then loaded the performance tune and to my surprise, I believe the car actually runs better on the performance tune. It has noticeably more bottom end and from a complete stop, if I hit it, it will burn the tires off. With the race tune, the bottom wasnt near as aggressive. Also it seems like the car has just as strong if not stronger top end as well. The car itself just seems much smoother with the performance tune and best part is the trans seems to shift just like stock. I've read online where some were claiming the race tune was much better with noticeable power increase, especially on the automatic, but I honestly don't see it. It has the feeling maybe with harder shifts and it's touchier on the throttle but the bottom end doesn't compare to the performance. My question is what really is the difference between these two, in particular on an automatic. The shift points on the performance tune seems pushed forward compared to stock but the car runs so smooth youd never know it has a tune until you got down on it. I haven't had it dynoed and I did get a better 0 to 60 with the race tune but that's because the race tune will hook up, I get too much spinning with the performance tune to get a true 0 to 60 time. My only mods are cai and cat back exhaust (resonator deleted)

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I would first do some research on Bama tunes and see if you want to stay with them. From my experience, the only difference between regular tunes and race tunes is the tuner will disable all traction control devices for the race tune.

They do this because many people run slicks at the track and don't need traction control. Other than that I think they will make the same in terms of horsepower. Depending on the tuner, if you have an auto they may adjust the shift firmness making it more aggressive for faster shifts.

Have you tried contacted Bama to see if they will tell you exactly what they did differently?

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I had a Bama tune on my car when I bought it. They turned off the knock sensors in the race tune. I switched to AED right away and before he would even tune me, I had to log my car with the performance tune to make sure the motor was ok.

Scary...

OneSlowV

Established Member
I had a Bama tune on my car when I bought it. They turned off the knock sensors in the race tune. I switched to AED right away and before he would even tune me, I had to log my car with the performance tune to make sure the motor was ok.

Scary...

Same think happened to me since I went cj setup . But in my case both my race and performance tune had knock sensors turned off. So i has to use the sct canned tune for him to look at the car .

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Jacksonracing89

Trying another tuner has crossed my mind but I've read some good, bad, and ugly (some straight horror stories) so I'm a little hesitant to switch now that the car runs perfectly. Do I believe there is power left on the table? Quite possibly after watching YouTube videos but the thing is you never really know if that's really all that's done to a car. One of my best friends has a Lund tuned 13 5.0 auto and swore up and down that Lund was the way to go and that he was going to drag me. We took to the highway in front of his house and it was quite a race. The cars ran neck and neck. Neither of us could pull away from the other and this was up to 135-140ish. We have even driven each others cars and to me at least they both drive similar with the Lund car having slightly firmer shift points. And his is a Lund 93R tune which helped prompt the question of what's really the difference between the two. But thanks to everyone for the replies.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Are you guys being serious about Bama turning off the knock sensors for race tunes? I guess they really do put their tunes on kill mode.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

OneSlowV

Established Member
Are you guys being serious about Bama turning off the knock sensors for race tunes? I guess they really do put their tunes on kill mode.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Apparently they do even though they say they don’t . And I’ve heard a lot of guys say they ether love the Lund tune or are disappointed with how the car performs that’s why I went with the best AED .

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Canadian5.0

Established Member
Had a 97 gt with cams/pi intake and wideband was reading mid 10's afr at wot. Called Bama and they said this was normal for some cars. Dyno showed a huge slump around 5k from the fuel dump. Made more power on the stock tune.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you know if you have the latest version V2 tunes or the original? I have the V2 tunes (93 Octane) on a 14 A6 and can feel a moderate difference between the two with the race tune definitely feeling stronger. No issue with the transmission.

No Dyno pulls but I did run 12.51 @ 112 on a 55° day at MIR with the race tune, K&N drop-in filter and intake tube, and 20" Nitto 555R drag radials.

Since then I have used the SCT X4 tuner options to slightly increase my shift firmness and shift mph.

I do not believe that Bama disables the knock sensor but may adjust it's parameters/sensitivity.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
OP you need to datalog your car ASAP and make sure your knock sensors are operational and check to see if timing is being pulled.

Knock sensors not operational = very bad - do not drive car until you get a good tune - one tank of bad gas (happens all the time whether you know it or not) can kill your motor, especially if you are pushing the car hard.

Knock sensors not pulling timing = either you have good gas (good but octane of every tank can vary) or the sensitivity of knock sensors has been reduced (very bad).

I have no experience with Bama but have heard many horror stories about them. I went with AED and know Shaun would provide you with a great tune that in no way touches the knock sensors.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Some people had issues with their original tunes. Their V2 tunes have gotten positive reviews.

However, if you're willing to spend the money, I'm sure AED, Lund, etc. can extract even more from our motors.

I also plan on checking out Mike Rousch who is said to be particularly good with the 6R80 side of the tune.

Users who are viewing this thread