Bama gives a reason to not use them

StrayBullitt

Established Member
It's interesting, but I can't say I buy into their claim of going from 368 to 403 rwhp or whatever it was on that car, the only way I could see anything close to that is if that Exhaust setup possibly was less than ideal and causing an over scavenging situation and the Cat band aided that, so to speak.

Prob with the vid is that it's an advertisement and they're trying to sell a product.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Probably so but I don't think modern Cats rob much power either.....we've come a LONG WAY since the original Cats of the 70's!!:)

Troponin

Established Member
Convince you not to use them? The fact that you're even asking is probably the best reason not to.

Second reason would be is that there are just too many amazing tuners out there to mess around with a company that has done so many shady things in the past.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Obviously I can't catch up with 30+ posts but I will say after two years without cats my car smells no different than the next with cats. If you got stank you must have a chitty tune.

Also, years ago I had a 92 Explorer with the 4.0 OHV motor that couldn't pass the sniffer emissions test. I gutted the cats and went back and passed with such low numbers the inspectors asked if I changed motors. Cats aren't always the answer

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Obviously I can't catch up with 30+ posts but I will say after two years without cats my car smells no different than the next with cats. If you got stank you must have a chitty tune.

Also, years ago I had a 92 Explorer with the 4.0 OHV motor that couldn't pass the sniffer emissions test. I gutted the cats and went back and passed with such low numbers the inspectors asked if I changed motors. Cats aren't always the answer

This whole post makes no sense at all.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Cant fault them for protecting their operation.
^^This,......

Ive seen a few things lately that leads me to believe this is being cracked down on, I dont think they have a lot of choice
^^and, this!

Unless a tuner is willing to risk it, which I highly doubt, I'm pretty sure all tuners are going to be leaving the rear 02 sensors as is.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Apparently the best at being the worst. Certainly an accomplishment they should be proud of!
Just curious. Are you getting canned tunes from Bama?
I would think that getting a reputable tune from someone like Lund/PBD/VMP would yield more gains?

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Just curious. Are you getting canned tunes from Bama?
I would think that getting a reputable tune from someone like Lund/PBD/VMP would yield more gains?
I had, at the time of my purchase of their product, only minimal bolt ons. There was no reason to pay Lund the price they charge as such. And as for Bama their custom tunes were fine, I never had a single issue. For what Lund or AED want to remote do it I can go to a local shop and get dyno time with tuning and not have to deal with datalogs and email and revisions. I'm sure the folks who use them are happy with them, and that's great. Everyone has an opinion related to who to use to tune a car, and each will push his or her own personal favorite. I was actually thinking of using VMP before deciding to just go local. Since I'm going FI anyway, I'd rather have it tuned and ready to go right off the dyno so I have all the numbers I'd otherwise have to pay to get on a dyno for.
Lol. Reading comp is fine.

Your science is flawed and completely made up from thin air.

Nice try tho!
No it was a pretty simple two paragraphs. Being 30+ posts behind relates to me being the OP of the thread and not having responded in over 30 posts.
And the removal of the cats from a 92 4.0 ford allowed it to give cleaner than midlevel average numbers when it had failed with cats on it. I don't think it's much more clear than that. I could break it down and sound it out if you'd like.....like I did for my kids when they were in second or third grade.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
^^This,......

^^and, this!

Unless a tuner is willing to risk it, which I highly doubt, I'm pretty sure all tuners are going to be leaving the rear 02 sensors as is.
See this is where the issue comes into play. The car came as it came. I made changes using a private company, and it was none of anyone else's business as to what those changes were or if I was to be using it as a track only car or whatever. Using the premise that you pose here, then I guess gas stations shouldn't sell "offroad" diesel since those shady truck drivers might use it on the road. For every "what if" scenario there is the opposite what if as well. It's like all this BS about removing Confederate statues. Does that mean VW should pull all the Beetles off the road because Hitler created it? You could make an argument for or against anything if you stretch it hard enough.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
And the kicker. I requested the new tune on Friday the 11th. They've never taken more than 2 business days to send me a revision, and this was not a major change (factory headers to longtubes). Here it I sat late Thursday and still no tune received. At 2:24PM I sent an email asking if there is any update as to the status of my tune. At 2:33PM, a whole 9 minutes later, I get an email with my tune attached. So either I just was randomly wondering about it as they were about to mail it, or they just decided to sit on it till I re-requested it.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
See this is where the issue comes into play. The car came as it came. I made changes using a private company, and it was none of anyone else's business as to what those changes were or if I was to be using it as a track only car or whatever. Using the premise that you pose here, then I guess gas stations shouldn't sell "offroad" diesel since those shady truck drivers might use it on the road. For every "what if" scenario there is the opposite what if as well.
You're still missing it.
I'm pretty sure one of the reputable tuners that you mentioned in one of your posts above, (actually, I'm more than positive), would not turn off the rear 02 sensors as well. The government put into place new rules as of this year. I forget what month it was started to be enforced.
Unless you have no emissions testing where you live?
So, the car came as it came means you bought the car used, I "assume"? But the new rules went into affect earlier this year.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
If Your 92 4.0 put out cleaner emissions without the cats then they were defective in some way and needed replaced. You're not going to convince me that it just ran that much better simply without them being on the vehicle, if that's what you are trying to say.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Bullshit.

Users who are viewing this thread