Baltimore has our best and brightest

VegasMichael

Established Member
The mother sounds like an idiot. To wit:

"She thought her oldest son was doing well because even though he failed most of his classes, he was being promoted."

And here's a contradiction to the above:

"Her son's records show in his first three years at Augusta Fells, he failed 22 classes and was late or absent 272 days. But in those three years, only one teacher requested a parent conference, which France says never happened. No one from the school told France her son was failing and not going to class."

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Always look for someone other than yourself to blame. Maybe the school employed a myriad of homers but it is apparent the parents have failed miserably. When passing English is a chore, you best look in the mirror before blaming every other person out there.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It’s going to be racist to fail kids next.

the entire world is literally laughing at the shit show the US has become and we just keep adding fuel to our own fire
It's already happening. I just read a news article last week (can't find the link now) that mentioned how black children aren't doing well on written tests, and that testing methods discriminated against black children.

Last edited:

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
failure all around.. parent, child, and school.. single parent distracted by trying to work 3 jobs... child ignorant of their impending future and no vision to become better than their parents.. school insulated from free market principals that make them compete with other schools and public unions that protect bad teachers..

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sad situation all around... a few random thoughts on the subject

1) A lot of people end up having kids they flat out don't want. They have no vested interest in their success, they just want them to hit 18 and gtfo.
2) the level of ignorance in a lot communities is staggering, the parents couldn't help their kids with their school work if they wanted to. Frequently they're either working multiple minimum wage jobs to make end meet or off chasing their addictions. They just aren't around.
3) People are generally shitty. In Central Florida there's a website called progress book - any parent can log in and see their kid's attendance, grades, what assignments haven't been turned in etc...and yet a huge number of parents still come in at the end of the semester/year and genuinely have no idea they're kid is screwed. I would say the majority of parents contacted by teachers or school staff for parent-teacher conferences never respond.
4) schools want high graduation rates so they push em through assembly line style. You can't give a kid a zero anymore so long as they at least turn something in and even then they're typically allowed to turn everything in at the end of the year (also known as "grade recovery").

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
It's already happening. I just read a news article last week (can't find the link now) that mentioned how black children aren't doing well on written tests, and that testing methods discriminated against black children.
I remember seeing something about that also

Machdup1

Established Member
I don't blame the kids, their parents or the school system/teachers. These people live in a war zone where they are stuck in a permanent cycle of poverty. When you grow up in a war zone, immediate survival takes precedence over education and planning for the future is a luxury that is afforded others.

It is easy to say someone just needs to do "X" to break the cycle, but doing "X" requires a herculean effort that very few Americans from any walk of life could accomplish given the same circumstances.

The blame here should go to the political leadership of the city who encouraged the problem by supporting the criminal element, advocating for failed policies and not creating a safe environment which supports educations.

These kids were written off by the politicians for their pursuit of power and control.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
@Machdup1 it is a perpetual cycle in cities like the example shown.

The mom will spend the rest of her life working 3 jobs until she dies or physically can't work anymore and will probably end up in the street. The kids have zero positive role models as unfortunately I would guess there's no dad at home and the mom is gone all the time. They are probably at the poverty level or close to it.
Gangs or similar level street organizations offer money and power to kids similar in age, and there's no reinforcing the benefits of staying in school and wanting to achieve good grades.

I do however believe all 3 have different levels of blame, though.

The mom unfortunately while trying to survive still saw that he was failing almost all his classes but still thought he would graduate?
The kid for being distraught for not graduating but fully knowing he was failing classes/missing 272 days of classes? What did he expect would happen?
And then the school for simply allowing him and others to go to the next grade with a sub 1.0 gpa...

Sure, I agree some kids may not care about getting an A on a test when they don't know if they will get fed that day at home.

It's going to be an endless cycle in cities like that where poverty and ignorance reign supreme and these kids aren't being raised in proper households and the schools just see them as cattle.

The officials don't care as they got them right where they want them. always hanging onto them for help. There's probably so much corruption in that city where the officials get richer and the citizens stay poor.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
@Machdup1 it is a perpetual cycle in cities like the example shown.

The mom will spend the rest of her life working 3 jobs until she dies or physically can't work anymore and will probably end up in the street. The kids have zero positive role models as unfortunately I would guess there's no dad at home and the mom is gone all the time. They are probably at the poverty level or close to it.
Gangs or similar level street organizations offer money and power to kids similar in age, and there's no reinforcing the benefits of staying in school and wanting to achieve good grades.

I do however believe all 3 have different levels of blame, though.

The mom unfortunately while trying to survive still saw that he was failing almost all his classes but still thought he would graduate?
The kid for being distraught for not graduating but fully knowing he was failing classes/missing 272 days of classes? What did he expect would happen?
And then the school for simply allowing him and others to go to the next grade with a sub 1.0 gpa...

Sure, I agree some kids may not care about getting an A on a test when they don't know if they will get fed that day at home.

It's going to be an endless cycle in cities like that where poverty and ignorance reign supreme and these kids aren't being raised in proper households and the schools just see them as cattle.

The officials don't care as they got them right where they want them. always hanging onto them for help. There's probably so much corruption in that city where the officials get richer and the citizens stay poor.

this is pretty much everywhere, just to be clear.

The schools are put in a lose-lose situation. If they dont graduate enough kids, satisfy the school rating requirements etc... then the district comes in and takes over until it's hitting the metrics they care about and what the kids have actually learned isn't one of them

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
this is pretty much everywhere, just to be clear.

The schools are put in a lose-lose situation. If they dont graduate enough kids, satisfy the school rating requirements etc... then the district comes in and takes over until it's hitting the metrics they care about and what the kids have actually learned isn't one of them

True, but this type of extreme type of example of where someone with a .13 GPA is considered halfway in his class isn't exactly everywhere.

I feel as the years go by it's becoming more prevalent that there's enough teachers/admins out there that truly don't care about the well being of their kids. It's just a numbers game, like you posted.

I know plenty of teachers that do care, but I feel like that's not exactly everywhere in the US

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
If this is true, you are looking at a first class case of affirmative action. Let's just pass the kids because we don't want to look racist or, they just need a help up.
What we all need is to be held accountable because it comes back to bite us in the end if we aren't.
No one has helped this kid prepare for anything better than he has right now, not the parent and not the school. BTW, throwing money at him won't help either.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
This problem, like just about everything in the USA these days, is rooted in a lack of personal responsibility of the "parent" that is endorsed and enabled by the state.

The whole thing is gross and until we are all responsible and accountable for the decisions we make in life, nothing is going to improve.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
As soon as you read she is working three jobs and has three kids, the failing has started at home and continued by the school. Clearly if they advanced him after failing his current grade, absolutely at fault. But why was he advanced? Teachers didn't want to deal with him is my guess. That has occurred for many years and still does, maybe more so these days. And it is Baltimore - that needs no explanation.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
The teacher’s union for public schools in nj have so much power and control over political influence that it literally doesn’t matter what the district’s performance levels are. And if a teacher is tenured they can do the bare minimum with no consequences. It’s a major issue here.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I could be drunk and do better than a .13 GPA.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I made the deans list drunk several times lol

Hell i was mostly drunk all through Nursing School lol...i legit had a bloody mary in Anatomy lab more than once lol...and i wasnt alone...

Users who are viewing this thread