Bad Wheel Bearings on 03 Cobra

Poison_S

Established Member
Update:

I posted here a couple days ago about breaking the passenger side half shaft.

Well, I noticed yesterday that I had a puddle of oil in the garage and took the car back to the dealer. They put it on the lift and immediately found the source of the oil leak(bad rearend seal). As they were inspecting the underside of the car, one of the other techs noticed that the passenger side rear wheel bearing was shot. He could actually move the wheel side to side about a half inch or more. This surprised everyone there (myself, three techs and the service writer). Might have been behind the wheel hop and halfshaft failure.
Then, we went around and checked all the other wheels and found the bottom tie rod (Baer brand bought from Steeda last October) was bad with that wheel/tire moving side to side as well. So I had to order a new bumpsteer kit from STeeda today and get that here ASAP. During the test drive with the tech, we noticed the front passenger brake was squeaking every revolution possibly due to something built-up on the pad. That was the second time since October that happened, only it was the drivers front last time.

All this from a car with 2600 miles on it and been street driven all its life.
*Driver side Front Brake squeaking
*Passenger side Brake squeaking
*HalfShaft broke
*Wheel Bearing bad
*Rearend Seal bad
*Tie Rod bad

I wish I could chalk this up to something easy to explain, like plain and simple hard driving. However, that would be far from the truth given my driving style and street cruising I do.

The main thing I wanted to point out was the possible correlation between wheelhop/halfshaft failure and bad wheel bearings. Something for everyone to check.

Users who are viewing this thread