Bad VMP maf sensor?

mrounds07

Established Member
Has anyone seen this happen on a MAF sensor? 03 cobra VMP 2.3. Setup maybe has 2500miles on it. Looks like knurled plastic shavings at the circuit board. Contacted VMP and they said it does not look normal and suggested I buy new. Problem is, this was brand new. Any ideas? Mods in sig

Attachments

• 20190517_163539.jpg
    20190517_163539.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 256

mrounds07

Established Member
I've had a few issues with popping at idle and cutout between 2-3-4 shifts. Bought another set of TR-6's gapped at .28. Car runs strong otherwise.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Those look like shavings from someone cutting it open. Unfortunately you're pretty much SOL on them replacing it since you opened it up. But maybe you'll get lucky and a new set of plugs will fix your issue.

mrounds07

Established Member
i dont see how that would affect anything

how did u verify the maf is faulty?

I'm not 100% that it is faulty. They car was getting tuned by a very reputable tuner, and we happened to look and notice the cover was hanging off. He said that it doesn't mean it's bad but he was concerned. Then the car put down 654whp. So it is functioning but my concern is if this will lead to further issues.

decipha

Established Member
being that maf counts is the first thing any tuner looks at its pretty safe to assume the maf is fine

any 'calibrated' or flowed/modified maf is going to have the cover removed and glued back on thats perfectly normal. As long as the maf is functioning correctly which is sounds as though it is then theres no reason to throw parts at it. Simply re-seal the cover on it and continue on as regularly scheduled.

mrounds07

Established Member
Thanks for the response. My plan is to just monitor it and see what happens. Just wanted to be sure since I'm not in the market to build a motor lol

Users who are viewing this thread