Bad TOB or Pilot or both bearings?

RusWolf

Established Member
Hello everyone. Would appreciate some help in identifying the issue.

My car has McLeod 1000hp RXT with Mcleod flywheel, it's been on a car for about a year and was installed by a very shitty shop. (I was new in the area and I was not aware about the shops quality, fake google reviews were good. Quick backstory is that shop is ran by a convicted felon likes to choke out his dad with a dog leash over some nascar tickets, threatens people with a gun during road rage and likes to beat his gf. the shop is called pitbull (scumbag) performance in daytona beach,... so stay away is the nicest thing i can say)

anyway, they installed the clutch and I asked them to check if TOB and other small parts were ok to reuse, they said everything looked good. Now a year later something strange started happening:

Noise can be heard when driving 50+mph and rolling in neutral or pushing the clutch pedal. When the car is in gear and even if you push the gas slightly it goes away.
If you keep pushing the gas pedal on/off it does somewhat of a cluncking sound, i had another shop (a good honest mechanic in Port Orange- Florida Auto Surgeon the guys name is Nick and he fixed alot of shit that scumbag performance did INCLUDING pulling out paper towel, some kind of wire and a paper label from the OIL PAN on a new shortblock that scumbag perf installed.) Anyway, they checked the rear end because at first it sounded like that clunking noise was coming from the rear, however was unable to identify any issues in the rear end and suspected it was not and could possibly be something in the clutch/tranny area.

I went on a long 1000 mile round trip going from FL to NJ and while cruising i relized that the grinding noise is coming from the transmission/clutch area and becomes louder when clutch pedal is fully pressed in. Decided to call Mcleod, explained the issue and the tech said that it sound like a bad pilot bearing. Mechanic from the good shop said it it does sound like a bearing from the tranny and he did not think it was the rear end althout the noise at 50mph did sound like engage/disengage of the rear end gears.

So, what do you guys think? Could it be anything else?
I am thinking if it's one of them, i will just have both pilot and TOB changed. Any suggestion on the TOB? OEM or aftermarket is better?

Thanks to all who read and will try to help.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Ford Motorsport/racing TOB and pilot.

Typically, you can manipulate TOB noise just sitting there idling. Usually you’ll have some noise that will go away when the clutch is depressed, even very lightly.

What you are describing could very well be pilot

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RusWolf

Established Member
Ford Motorsport/racing TOB and pilot.

Typically, you can manipulate TOB noise just sitting there idling. Usually you’ll have some noise that will go away when the clutch is depressed, even very lightly.

What you are describing could very well be pilot

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Thanks for reply,

Just idling, not touching any pedals and not moving there are 0 noises. When i push the pedal in slight grind begins.. I heard that was normal for mcleod twin disk clutch so i never paid attention to it. but no its much louder when the car is rolling.

I ordered ford racing high load pilot bearing.
Looked at TOB's and there is a 1000 of them from every manufacturer that makes a clutch lol.. how the hell am I supposed to know which one is best. Most likely will stick with OEM.
Tried to find Ford Racing TOB and i don't see any, only OEM and from performance brands such as exedy, mcleod etc etc. How is their quality if anyone knows?

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
My 13gt is making a noise that goes away when the clutch is depressed. I was told it's the throw out bearing. I also have a RXT twin disk, it never made noise unless it's in to high of a gear and the rpm's drop to 1500 or so.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
If noise goes away when clutch is depressed, it's the TOB. If it makes a similar sound all the time, regardless of clutch position, then it's the pilot bearing.

Either way, swap both. They're both right there and the cost of parts isnt bad.

RusWolf

Established Member
Thanks guys.
I am going to replace both.
Ordered new TOB as well. Went with centerforce branded one, seems like it has good reviews, and it was on amazon prime for $125 shipped. Originally wanted OEM, but don’t feel like waiting an extra week to get from online seller/dealer.

And crazy thing on Ford website MSRP price is $176 but when it is sold for $186 lol WTH
Although some dealers sell online for $118-$120 plus shipping or ebay $135 shipped.

Is there any other bearing that should be replaced? Or just pilot and TOB ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RusWolf

Established Member
So i had both pilot and TOB changed. Centerforce TOB and Ford Racing high load pilot bearing. Noise, now quieter but is still there and I can hear it only when going 50+ and letting off the gas and rolling in gear or neutral.
Need some help identifying an issue, locating the noise.

Created another thread with more details about the car.

MG0h3

Established Member
My 13gt is making a noise that goes away when the clutch is depressed. I was told it's the throw out bearing. I also have a RXT twin disk, it never made noise unless it's in to high of a gear and the rpm's drop to 1500 or so.

I have the same noise with both of my McLeod twins. If I lug it, kinda sounds like what someone might call grinding although I know it isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I have the same noise with both of my McLeod twins. If I lug it, kinda sounds like what someone might call grinding although I know it isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Yeah when you lug the twin disk it does make a rumbling noise. The throw out bearing was different and started about 10k after the RXT was installed. Now I'm putting a T56 and Mantic clutch, I'll have it back next week.

RusWolf

Established Member
New clutch install = new TOB
Period.

that would make sense right.. new TOB and new pilot bearing.. but unfortunately some shop are just so scummy that they don't care and will not suggest simply bcuz they don't know. I even asked them if there is anything else that is needed like bearings and they said no its fine..(back than I was not aware of the TOB/Pilot needing to be replaced with new clutch)

Thorpz

Established Member
Premium Member
After watching the video I would look at the UCA for looseness. The noise sounds like a loose bolt and then you let off the throttle it is "bouncing" on the bolt making a clunking noise.

Users who are viewing this thread