Bad Starter do you think or Battery?

moncho

Established Member
Tried starting the car a few minutes ago & it's barely cranking. Battery shows 12vdc & car isn't throwing any cells or DTC's. Just in case it's the battery I've got it charging on my CTEK.
Attached is a video:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhQqs6586cwckFnb755ovFdAqlbG

I guess I'll know a little more once the battery goes through a complete recharge.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Ray

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Has it been a while since you have driven it? If so battery. I doubt it's the starter. More likely the alternator

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If it's exactly 12 volts that's less than 50% charged. 12.7 volts would be a full charge. Could be the battery, but try charging it first.

moncho

Established Member
Drove it last week, the battery is original so it's definitely dated.

Still charging.

Thanks for the responses.

Cheers,
Ray

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Sounds like a discharged battery. Not enough amps to keep the starter gear engaged. Before you dismiss the battery, do this simple check, it's saved me a couple of times already on various vehicles.

When you measure the voltage, DO NOT stick the probes on the battery posts, as your only source of checking battery voltage. Stick the probes on the terminals, THEN compare it to the voltage read at posts. If you see a a tenth or two difference, then you should clean the terminals.

If you have a loose or corroded terminal, you won't detect it if you only check on the battery posts, you will throw the battery out, (and in the process of cleaning the terminals and changing out the battery, you inadvertently "fixed" the original problem which was a dirty or loose connection), for no reason. If there is enough corrosion between the post and the terminal, even though the battery is good, you will have symptoms just like your video.

I still say it wouldn't hurt to clean the lead terminals with a good battery terminal brush, get the posts too, make it all shiny, then try it.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
a 2007 OEM battery and you're wondering if the battery is the issue over the starter?

Be thankful it lasted 9 years and replace it.

moncho

Established Member
Definitely sound advice & I usually check from the posts instead of the terminals. Not anymore.

Cheers,
Ray

Sounds like a discharged battery. Not enough amps to keep the starter gear engaged. Before you dismiss the battery, do this simple check, it's saved me a couple of times already on various vehicles.

When you measure the voltage, DO NOT stick the probes on the battery posts, as your only source of checking battery voltage. Stick the probes on the terminals, THEN compare it to the voltage read at posts. If you see a a tenth or two difference, then you should clean the terminals.

If you have a loose or corroded terminal, you won't detect it if you only check on the battery posts, you will throw the battery out, (and in the process of cleaning the terminals and changing out the battery, you inadvertently "fixed" the original problem which was a dirty or loose connection), for no reason. If there is enough corrosion between the post and the terminal, even though the battery is good, you will have symptoms just like your video.

I still say it wouldn't hurt to clean the lead terminals with a good battery terminal brush, get the posts too, make it all shiny, then try it.

moncho

Established Member
The issue is the battery & yes it performed great for a 10 year old battery (yup thankful about that). After the CTEK charge my multimeter was showing the voltage dropping in a fairly fast rate so it didn't appear to be holding much of a charge. I quickly turned the key & the car started immediately, voltage was @ 14.5vdc. I had brought this battery from the dead (with the help of my CTEK charger) @ one point after leaving the dome light on over night & that was about 2 years ago. Won't hesitate to buy another one.

Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers,
Ray

Users who are viewing this thread