Bad Rear Sway Bar Bushings?

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
Hey guys, so my car has had a problem for some time now, every time I go over even the smallest bump or hole in the road my rear end squeaks like nobodies business. At first I thought it might be the fact that the previous owner did a spring iso delete but after reading up a little more, Im wondering if my sway bar bushings are bad and how much it might cost to replace them. Im pretty savvy but never felt comfortable messing with spring removal. Thanks for the input fellas.

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Pull the wheels off and take a look. Bad bushings are incredibly obvious. The rubber around the metal sleeve will look cracked or have chunks missing. Any time you see that it's a good time to replace them. There are various rubber kits online or you could buy them individually. I recommend you replace both sides of any part. IE if the passenger side one is toast but the driver side has life left do them both that way you have equal wear and performance from both sides.

Last edited:

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
Pull the wheels off and take a look. Bad bushings are incredibly obvious. The rubber around the metal sleeve will look cracked or have chunks missing. Any time you see that it's a good time to replace them. There are various rubber kits online or you could buy them individually. I recommend you replace both sides of any part. IE if the passenger side one is toast but the driver side has life left do them both that way you have equal wear and performance from both sides.

Thanks brother, as far as actually replacing them, is it a real PITA and something for a shop or can I do it myself with a lil effort?

zPipes

Established Member
You can do it in the driveway on jackstands. Pretty simple job, requires basic tools. It was easier for me because I replaced my sway bar end links as well.

What you will need is a simple ratchet set, and a pair of vice grips or 7mm wrench. Take the wheels off, unbolt the sway bar end links, unbolt the sway bar bushing brackets, swap out bushings, replace it all.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
You can do it in the driveway on jackstands. Pretty simple job, requires basic tools. It was easier for me because I replaced my sway bar end links as well.

What you will need is a simple ratchet set, and a pair of vice grips or 7mm wrench. Take the wheels off, unbolt the sway bar end links, unbolt the sway bar bushing brackets, swap out bushings, replace it all.

Thanks zPipes, sorry to ask another question but, is there a lot of tension on the sway bar that I should be careful when unbolting and putting the links back in?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
If you put the rear of the car up on jack stands where both sides are in full droop there should be zero tension on the sway bar. The sway bar loads when the lower control arms are at different "heights".

zPipes

Established Member
Dude, if you have a few extra bucks, I would advise replacing the sway bar end links for two reasons. One, at some point your going to need to, these cars are old, and stuff wears out. Two, going forward it will make jobs alot easier in the rear end.

The way these things are bolted, are kind of a pain in the ass. There is no 'front' side of the bolt. the back has a nut, and a flat'ish piece you use the 7mm wrench/vice grips to stop from turning as you are taking the nut off.

getimage.php

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
So a lil update, finally got my car off the ground and took the wheels off for a look-see, from what I can tell, the rear sway bushing aren't exactly brand new but not bad enough to be squeaking like it does. Upon closer inspection I noticed my H&R spring is rubbing the inner metal fender near the top, its obvious thats its rubbing in the pic included below. Almost a, stupid but I want to make make sure question, is this my culprit and has this ever happened to anybody else before with H&R or any brand aftermarket spring? What should I do? Thanks again guys.

20140315_164709_zps8ba151a9.jpg

20140315_164723_zpsa29f1552.jpg

20140315_164852_zps34be5e09.jpg

zPipes

Established Member
With my eibach, yes I have that exact thing, where the spring rubs right there. I just live with it.

So someone has already put prothane sway bar bushings in, they seem fine from the pic. The sway bar end link doesnt look in to bad of shape, mine were tore up, i mean no rubber booting or anything.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
With my eibach, yes I have that exact thing, where the spring rubs right there. I just live with it.

So someone has already put prothane sway bar bushings in, they seem fine from the pic. The sway bar end link doesnt look in to bad of shape, mine were tore up, i mean no rubber booting or anything.

Yeah the Marine that had the car before me did a shit ton to the car. I got a good bit of spec's from him but not everything before I lost contact after finding him. Does your rear end squeak as well from the rubbing? I just feel so ghetto rolling through public areas, it sounds like somebody getting it in on a squeaky spring mattress lmao. I'm seriously considering taking a sawzall and trimming around it. The drivers side isn't like that, the upper ISO is kinda wedged between so no rubbing there...

zPipes

Established Member
If your squeaking that loud that it can be heard on the outside, I agree that's a problem. The noise I get can only be heard inside the car, and its not real loud, if the radio is on at normal sound level, it cancels it right out. I just drive with no radio on a lot so I hear a lot in my car.

My noise is more like a rattle, or clinking, you know just the metal on metal from no isos. I wonder if your springs are goin bad? I mean, a squeaky mattress means the springs are bad right! lol

DragginFeet

Established Member
It could be polyurethane control arm bushings. If the factory rubber ones have been replaced. It seems they have a tendency to drive people to regret using them because of there squeaking constantly.

Last edited:

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
It could be polyurethane control arm bushings. If the factory rubber ones have been replaced. It seems they have a tendency to drive people to regret using them because of there squeaking constantly.

After researching it, I found this on youtube. Not saying this is what it is, but the squeaking sounds almost identical...

Squeaking poly bushings - YouTube

green99_svt

Established Member
From the pic it looks like your upper cross axis ball joint boots are torn. Is the joint dry and creeking? If the joint is good I would replace those boots to prevent it from going dry.

Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
Just a thought on the cross axis joints. Mine where shot without boots at all for quite a while. I never heard any additional noise from it, and since I have put a remanned knuckle in no reduction in any noise.

But again not all situations are the same I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread