Bad Luck With Meguiars Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner

Jim D.

Established Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
Now that I think about it, I don't remember If I rinsed it. But that's because I don't remember the directions off the top of my head. But I followed the directions directly from the back of the bottle. Whatever the directions said, that's what I did.

My wheels are chrome. Once I get them clean and get this stuff off, I don't know If I will ever try another cleaner or even a polisher on them. But If I do, I'll give that Mothers a shot. Thanks.

I'm going to guess the problem you're having could be lack of rinsing... I've seen it happen before, as it's easy to miss a step.

As a routine, when I do use a wheel cleaner (about every 3rd hand wash), I do the wheels with the tires and rinse with their own bucket of suds and my old wash mitt for those "close to the ground" and grungy areas. I do one wheel, tire and wheel well at a time and rinse with a strong spray of the hose. Then when the wheels are done, I wash the rest of the car with a fresh bucket of suds and hit the wheels once again with the suds as a last step.

Rinsing is key, especially if you happen to have a wheel design that lends itself to collecting strong cleaners either behind the spokes or behind the cap -- they can come out later and cause temporary if not permanent discoloration.

An "all wheel" cleaner such as the FX (or even Mothers' All Wheel) is milder than a chrome cleaner, and it works great on chrome wheels (and a little safer for your center cap as well as your brake hardware).

But if you keep them clean with a car wash solution (even if it's a first step with a wheel brush and/or old wash mitt), your need for a dedicated wheel cleaner should be minimal.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Update

I didn't have a lot of time to do it, but I tried some Simple Green out on my wheels and some of the filmy stuff started to come off. :D

It will take some scrubbing and a lot of time, but I'm sure I'll be able to get a lot of it off with the Simple Green. That stuff works pretty good.

Thanks for all your help guys. :rockon:

:beer:

BlueVenom281

Lurking
Established Member
Yeah man, you need to rinse. Spray on, agitate with a soft bristle brush, then rinse off. Dry them with a towel and then use either quick detailer or window cleaner as your final step. You may want to try claying the wheels as an added step to get the old film off.

Jim D.

Established Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
I didn't have a lot of time to do it, but I tried some Simple Green out on my wheels and some of the filmy stuff started to come off. :D

It will take some scrubbing and a lot of time, but I'm sure I'll be able to get a lot of it off with the Simple Green. That stuff works pretty good.

Thanks for all your help guys. :rockon:

:beer:

Try the wheel cleaner again -- it should dissolve the film. Rinse well.

Users who are viewing this thread