Bad Internet Connection

Vigilante

Established Member
Tried searching, but alas nothing.

How often is normal that you have to unplug and restart your modem, switch, router... or whatever else you may have.

For me, it's everyday and that seems way too often coming from my old place where it was maybe once a month. Once I reset its fine... until the next day. And if I don't shut it off before I try doing anything that day, I end up restarting three or four times instead of one.

My two most common errors are: Windows has detected an IP conflict and DNS error if that helps.

I have:
Moto DOCSIS 3.0 (3 years old)
Linksys WRT310N router (3 years old)
Netgear 5-port Gigabit switch (3 years old)
Cat 6a ethernet cables connecting TV, PS3, and Roku. (2 months old/cables)

Thanks in Advance!

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
That's not normal. I used to be a cable guy. Could be as simple as a bad modem, home lines bad or as complex as something down the highway. If your neighbor doesnt have that issue, then it's most likely you.

I have Charter and i've been battling it out with that issue for years. I hate it.

Just remember if you have to end up paying for a new modem and that isnt the problem, make a note of that. That's only if you have to buy a modem from your ISP. Charter told me i can add more speed to my connection when i complained to them. Stupid lady didnt know what to say when i asked how does more speed have anything to do with my modem lights going in and out. Damn foreign people. $160 a month for this crap. Ok, im done ranting.

Last edited:

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
I have to unplug mine weekly. It seems to be getting worse and worse. Used to be fine, but I started having to reset it every now and then. But now it's just getting annoying.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I dont know man I used to use wireless and had the same issues. Ive never found wireless to be a good option. But if windows is saying you have an IP conflict then you probably do. Especially with all that equipment.

If you have several different routers/switches you have to make sure the subnets dont conflict.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's not normal. I used to be a cable guy. Could be as simple as a bad modem, home lines bad or as complex as something down the highway. If your neighbor doesnt have that issue, then it's most likely you.

I have Charter and i've been battling it out with that issue for years. I hate it.

Just remember if you have to end up paying for a new modem and that isnt the problem, make a note of that. That's only if you have to buy a modem from your ISP. Charter told me i can add more speed to my connection when i complained to them. Stupid lady didnt know what to say when i asked how does more speed have anything to do with my modem lights going in and out. Damn foreign people. $160 a month for this crap. Ok, im done ranting.

That is one thing I like about Cox. They don't outsource their support. If I had to deal with foreign reps who have difficulty communicating in English, I'd have to find another option.

Vigilante, did you get your modem through your Internet provider? If so, why not call them and set up an appointment for them to check your modem and your wiring (outside and inside), and check your signals outside and inside. Maybe your issue it is signal related.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i reset once every 2-3 days. also seem to have an issue with my computer holding onto the code for the wireless, so i have to enter it once every few days also or it wont connect.

Vigilante

Established Member
Cox is the provider and they just laid the cable line four months ago. I typically get speeds between 55 and 60. But my laptop is ancient and maxes out at 25 on wireless. i have to use a different computer or plug in with an Ethernet cable, but its there. I bought all my own stuff so i didn't have to rent.

Also I've head of the speed issue, more speed you have the more it cuts in and out. My friend and I were just taking about how he never had to reset, but when he went up a tier level it was every two to three days.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Have a Netgear router at work (using 3 T1 lines) and my parents use a Linksys (TWC) at home. Hardly any problems at either place. Probably reset it once every five months or longer. IS your computer setup as a static IP address or dynamic? Wondering if maybe one of your devices is conflicting with the IP address that wont let your computer access it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Faulty modem.

If youre renting it from your provider they should do a line test and follow up with an in house appointment.

My parents were having connectivity issues and Comcast came out after trying to diagnose from their end, dude took three minutes, swapoed old modem with new docsis3.0 and bam, fixed. they also went from 20-24mb down to around 30-34 all on the same plan (16 down with speedboost).

Vigilante

Established Member
^^Modems are still expensive, last thing I want to do is replace it just to find out that's not the problem. Is there a way to test this other than just swapping it out for a differ modem? Like a website or hell just looking at it I guess?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
What are you getting when you go to speedtest.net ?
What does that has to do with his problem. You can have perfect speeds and still have tons of reliability issues.

OP, unless you have the tools your ISP service workers and ISP officer personal have, you cant test it correctly. You need to give your ISP a call and they should be able to take care of you.

Just remember to document who said you need a new modem etc if that happens. That way if it isnt the problem, they can give you a credit on your bill or something of that nature.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Call Cox and see if you have a premium support plan. I do, and it covers them coming to my house to troubleshoot issues like this. Otherwise I'd have to pay for a service call.

PDubs

Established Member
...Is your computer setup as a static IP address or dynamic? Wondering if maybe one of your devices is conflicting with the IP address that wont let your computer access it.

When I have had the issue of "Windows has detected an IP conflict", this is usually caused by some device with a static IP. Also, check to see if your IP range is too small and the # of connected devices has been exceeded. Easiest way to do this is just start unplugging and/or wirelessly disconnecting everything from the router (except the modem) and start adding devices back beginning with only your computer waiting a day between devices to see what happens (based on your current 24hour cycle requirement).

If you haven't played with the default configurations, then your defined IP range is most likely adequate.

JasonSnake

Established Member
What does that has to do with his problem. You can have perfect speeds and still have tons of reliability issues.

A lot can do with the speed test.

If his speeds decrease over a short time, having to power cycle the thing all the time, it could mean that the cable modem is only able to operate just a tad above the threshold SNR of 20db's. Once it gets hot, SNR is impacted, and finally the modem is not strong enough anymore to maintain a steady, synced connection to the service. If it's hanging by a thread, it can probably pump in/out a few Mb/s then drop. Modems DO go bad too, more often then you think.

And I never said this is the problem, but the speed one thing to look at.

Now, as you said, it would be proper for the OP to get a tech out there to check all the signals before buying another expensive modem.

gksingh

Established Member
I had a similar issue my stupid internet kept cutting out every 10 min or so. It was hell because one of our house lines are Voip (Vonage) so everytime the internet went the house line would not work.

It took my provider a year to figure that the Signal coming though the cable into my house was to high or some bullcrap like that because the splitter box for my street is right in front of my house.

But I still think these Rogers monkey's haven't figured it out yet.

Vigilante

Established Member
^^This might be why

The box is right in my back yard(figuratively) and I am the only one who uses it. Everyone else has satellite.

Users who are viewing this thread