Bad engine noise. Cobra tick or something worse?

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Hey everyone, my car started making a pretty bad noise a couple weeks ago, and I assumed it was just the plastic ac delete pulley getting loose. I popped the hood and noticed the sound is actually coming from my engine. It sounds like it could be from the drivers side cylinder head, which makes me wonder if it's the infamous cobra tick. I have had the even flow cooling mod on it since the engine went into my car, but I know they aren't proven to make a difference, it's just theory. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to work on it until today, and it's raining, so I'm kind of stuck. I am going to do a compression test, but the car doesn't feel down on power when just cruising around (I have not punched it for a while).

I am attaching a couple video. Please let me know if you have any other ideas on what this sounds like. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the novel.

player.swf

player.swf

http://vid1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/ehlerskevinc/VIDEO00000.mp4

http://vid1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/ehlerskevinc/VIDEO00001.mp4

Edit: Dont have access to a pc right now and videos werent showing up on mobile browser so i added links.

Last edited:

10sec89

Established Member
Sounds like the bearings in the electric fan, it sounds far to fast to be a tick on idle to me.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Yeah, that's why I was originally thinking it may be the plastic ac delete pulley, but the sound is coming from the engine. You can feel the knocking when you put your hand on it. I am hoping its a loose plug, but other than the noise there aren't any other symptoms. The weather hasn't let up today so I haven't had a chance to open it up. The video was taken a couple days ago.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
My motor also just developed a loud metalic clanking noise after it backfired through the intake upon initial start up (R&R the blower)...much louder than the head tick, and faster than the crank rotation. First I thought it was the blower, so I removed the drive belt; noise was still present. Then I removed the FEAD belt; noise was still present. Then I removed the clutch/tranny; noise was still present. I yanked the blower off and the P/S valve cover and nothing jumped out at me there. I just ran a compression test and got 176-177 psi on all cylinders, except for #5 & #8 which were both @ 196-197 psi. On these two cylinders I also noticed a fine mist spraying out on the compression stroke....hmmmm! After I thought about it for a while, I recall now that the last two times I drove the car, the motor was sorta bucking (not running clean) at WOT, and well before redline. I never noticed it running hot, and didn't smell the sweet odor of coolant in the exhaust. I did notice a ton of condensation dripping out of the mid pipe while listening with the stethescope...I marked that up to the motor having sat for a while. While running the compression test I noticed that the oil on the P/S cam chains was milky, kinda like a chocolate milk shake in color. I spoke with MMR today, and from what I explained to them, they were of the opinion that a valve guide(s) dropped. My buddy came over and listened to the motor and he thought it might also be a valve guide, but was sorta reserved on comitting to this idea. The clanking sound is really loud from under the car, and you can feel the noise in the oil pan. However, when I listened to it with a stethoscope, the crank sounded smooth....as did the rods from what I could tell. The sound is cyclic and fast, doesn't go way with rpm, and speeds up with throttle....any of this sound familiar to you???

Users who are viewing this thread