Bad EGR experience

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone regarding my EGR getting stuck in the closed position. From what i was able to read online, an EGR stuck closed will cause the cylinders to heat up due to not having the cooling EGR gasses, causing the car to dump fuel into the cylinder to get the temps down. Makes sense to me, but i'm not sure these cars computers are that sophisticated. I figure the car knows the EGR is not working and then simply dumps fuel into all cylinders just to be safe.

Symptoms I experienced were a jumpy idle and an idle that wanted to try and stay more in the 13.5 range than around 14.7

Additionally, randomly the car would idle at 11.5/12 and not move back to 14.7, even if i revved the car. Thankfully the check engine light finally came on for the EGR and helped me out.

Around town the AFR would tend to jump around more than i would expect.

Replaced the EGR with a unit i found on summit for $40 and the car now has a much more rock solid idle. :beer:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Great info. Thanks for sharing. When EGR is working correctly it does good things for the motor.

I bet if you had read the DTCs before you got a CEL, you would have gotten your EGR DTCs sooner...

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
Absolutely. I was chasing down some gremlins in my fuel system and figured it was related to that. Once that was taken care of and the problem still was there I was really scratching my head since my mind wasn't on the EGR at all.

HeyNow!

Established Member
Would the same problem be likely to present in a vehicle with the EGR deleted?

Users who are viewing this thread