bad chip?

Blackgeetee

Established Member
It seems that every so often I have to reset my computer. After a month or two I start to notice the car not running quite right, sometimes there's a little too much black smoke under full throttle (indicating too rich). Then I reset the computer and it runs like a raped ape, and is much smoother at idle. It seems like the chip is trying to change stuff around on me, like it's thinking too much lol. Obviously it's deviating from the way it was tuned and I'm not sure why, there are no signs of any other kind of problem. I have an Autologic chip that was tuned on the dyno. Any suggestions or theories would be appreciated... :beer:

jdr46

I am running a Autologic chip as well. My car was tuned at Houston Performance. My SES light is on and the code is showing rich on both banks. This has been this way for a year. and thay still have not been able to fix it. :shrug: I know if I reset the puter it runs better. But , after 7 or 8 miles the SES light come back on. Not sure WTF!!!!! :cuss:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Wow, you must really be running rich then. My SES light has never come on for that problem before. Maybe we should go with another chip...

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If you really want to fix the bug and have room for future mods without needing a retune, Steeda is now doing an adaptive tune. It still "learns" like the stock program. It is set to a completely different set of parameters though. This is the benefit of the TTP Technology Transfer Program Ford is doing with Steeda. You get the EEC set to work with your mods and in emissions legal form. The program also will learn if you add mods later and not have the "learning" problems the stock EEC sometimes has.

white99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
If you really want to fix the bug and have room for future mods without needing a retune, Steeda is now doing an adaptive tune. It still "learns" like the stock program. It is set to a completely different set of parameters though. This is the benefit of the TTP Technology Transfer Program Ford is doing with Steeda. You get the EEC set to work with your mods and in emissions legal form. The program also will learn if you add mods later and not have the "learning" problems the stock EEC sometimes has.

www.superchipscustom.com has basicly the same thing.Their tunes "learn"like stock.My blower has never had a "chip".All my stuff has been flashed into the computer.No bad contacts,no coming loose .

The Flash systems (steeda and superchispcustom)both work off the learning of the stock ecu.

Superchips custom is run by chris johnson of JMS and jerry w. of fordchip.With the backing help of superchips.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=30 <---- more info.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311<--- more info

Last edited:

Blackgeetee

Established Member

I haven't changed anything since I put the chip in last year so why would it keep changing the way it runs?

white99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
I haven't changed anything since I put the chip in last year so why would it keep changing the way it runs?

If it keeps changing every month or so.The stock ecu is learning around the chip program it seems.

jdr46

Originally posted by Blackgeetee
Wow, you must really be running rich then. My SES light has never come on for that problem before. Maybe we should go with another chip...

I think I will stay with the same chip but I will go with a new tuner. I just need to find on in the DFW area.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by white99gt
www.superchipscustom.com has basicly the same thing.Their tunes "learn"like stock.My blower has never had a "chip".All my stuff has been flashed into the computer.No bad contacts,no coming loose .

The Flash systems (steeda and superchispcustom)both work off the learning of the stock ecu.

Superchips custom is run by chris johnson of JMS and jerry w. of fordchip.With the backing help of superchips.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=30 <---- more info.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311<--- more info

That's cool. I didn't know Superchips was flashing the stock EEC. Saleen did this for a little while. The "PowerFlash" they call it. I don't know of anyone that used their EEC though, so I can't say if it is truely adaptive or not.

Like white99 mentioned above. Chips can come loose and/or have contact problems. They can run into parameter conflicts with the stock EEC after the "learning" starts. Remember the stock EEC has set parameters it works from. The chip tries to alter this and the stock EEC sees things as being "out of spec" after the learning starts. I think it's about 10 drive cycles.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
I think it's about 10 drive cycles.

Yep, that's about when it seems to start losing power/running rich. So I guess the best temporary soloution would be to keep resetting my computer? LOL I don't have preset radio stations anyway, I'm always playing CDs.:coolman: :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread