Bad batch of E85 (need help)

testorossa1989

Established Member
Hey guys I need some help. I stored my car in September with 1/4 tank of E85. I let the car run for a hour or so once I finally pulled it out and nothing was wrong. I go to fuel up at a station I commonly use and that's where my nightmare starts. My cobra was leaning out 5k and never able to achieve redline unless I slowly laid into it. I checked the fuel and of course it was garbage, cloudy. I opened my filter to clean it and my system was filled with what's best described as glue cake batter. My fuel pressure gauge was surging even. I've since purged the entire fuel tank and got better E85 that I tested. Problem is, I still lean out.

I suspect the fuel injectors to be a issue (clogged). Before I start ripping my fuel system apart since removing a whipple sucks, is there an addictive or injector cleaner I can use? Or is it a loss cause and I need to pull the injectors and pumps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Injectors probably filled with goo, pull and get cleaned. I would purge the fuel line and reinspect fuel filter before reinstalling injectors. You could try injector cleaner you pour into the tank, but the penalty for having one or more injectors staying partially obstructed would be expensive.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Alright so I inspected the drive side rail and 4 injectors, everything look good and clean. Absolutely no gunk to be found. Which is bad because now I have no idea why I'm breaking up under load

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have a gas tune?

Running a tank of gasoline through it usually cleans them up.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
School me on this process please. Will fuel injector cleaner or Seafoam clean better than alcohol? I have always heard about the cleaning properties of alcohol but is there something better for cleaning?

testorossa1989

Established Member
Well that shouldn't be the issue. Change plugs?
The plugs aren't very old at all. I could do that but it's still leaning out elsewhere and I don't think it's from spark breakup. I have no codes, no misfires and no lean codes which is puzzling.

testorossa1989

Established Member
School me on this process please. Will fuel injector cleaner or Seafoam clean better than alcohol? I have always heard about the cleaning properties of alcohol but is there something better for cleaning?
For injectors using E85 the 93 octane emulsifies the buildup and it literally just comes out. Which is why many say the best thing you can do is run 93 tune every couple of tanks.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
The cloudiness means that you have water in the fuel system, and so the car isn't going to run right until it's all flushed out. You may want to take a fuel line loose and jumper your fuel pump and cycle a gallon or so through the system. From my exp. with small engines that sit for long periods of time with Ethanol fuel in them, the corrosion does not clear up, they persist to run like shit until you actually go in and clean out the carb and then get fresh fuel in them.

Your injectors may be ok due to being further up in the system and a more sealed environment, but anything back around the contaminated fuel is suspect. You might want to consider removing the tank pumps and check/clean the pickup and it would be a good idea to clean out the tank probably anyway.

Best of luck !@

testorossa1989

Established Member
The cloudiness means that you have water in the fuel system, and so the car isn't going to run right until it's all flushed out. You may want to take a fuel line loose and jumper your fuel pump and cycle a gallon or so through the system. From my exp. with small engines that sit for long periods of time with Ethanol fuel in them, the corrosion does not clear up, they persist to run like shit until you actually go in and clean out the carb and then get fresh fuel in them.

Your injectors may be ok due to being further up in the system and a more sealed environment, but anything back around the contaminated fuel is suspect. You might want to consider removing the tank pumps and check/clean the pickup and it would be a good idea to clean out the tank probably anyway.

Best of luck !@
You and I are on the same frequency right now. I've grown suspicious of that very thought and I'm going to be draining the entire tank bone dry on Wednesday, despite the fact that I purged 10 gallons I'm still suspect that

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
How accurate is your wb gauge? Maybe with all that crap the sensor went bad. I have to replace mine about every 12-18 months.

Users who are viewing this thread