Bad ball joint/ tie rods

mustangbob

Established Member
Hey guys,

Just finished doing brakes and rotors and noticed that there was some rubber falling off which I am 99% sure is the ball joints. I know if they are the ball joints I will need to be replaced sooner than later but it looks like its fairly involved and my need a few specialty tools. But how big of a safety issue is it? It is not my primary driver so it can sit for a while. I had one go out on my wife's mustang (go figure) but it had 200K miles and was really noisy. There is no noise, however, I have noticed a lot more wandering steering but I haven't had an alignment done on the car in the last few years and has about 32k miles. I also checked the tie rods, the boots are still nice and I refilled them with grease but while they were off the ground I was able to move them back and forth with my hand, so I am assuming I need to replace those as well? I read that a lot of people are using moog for replacements for tie rods and ball joints. Any suggestions for good quality replacements?

5zor5nS.jpg

l4K7625.jpg

Thanks,

Bob

jeepman795

Established Member
Moog are good stay away from autozone parts I prefer motocraft

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

bigmoose

Established Member
Go with steeds X2 ball joints if you have lowering springs, they help correct the geometry. I also went with steeda tie rod outers since I could adjust for bumpsteer and just used motocraft inners.

I also recommend you do your front arm bushings while you have it apart. I went with inexpensive prothane and they are great. Way better than worn out stock.

mustangbob

Established Member
Is there anything else I should replace or upgrade while I have everything apart? I'm looking to not having to dig into it again for a really long time.

Bob

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
I put the Steeda X2's along with their bumpsteer kit in my daily driver GT January 2015. Drove the car about 20k miles daily driving no issues and made a big difference from what i had factory. I also replaced my blown tokico struts with bilsteins but i was happy with the ball joints.

mustangbob

Established Member
My car is not lowered. I'm not sure I am planning on lowering it either. So, would the Steeda cause problems if the car is normal height?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Happy I saw this thread my ball joint has the same issue with the boot and was looking at the Steeda ones. Guess that's what I'm going to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread