Back up camera ideas

JC-RH

Established Member
Hello everyone. I recently picked up a Mystichrome convertible. It’s only been a few days, and I really miss not having a back up cam.

Who has installed one? Where did you run the wire? Did you have to drill a hole? Is there a way to route through an existing hole? Is there a completely wireless option?

I’m hesitant to drill on this beauty. My car already has a DD aftermarket stereo, but I’m shopping around for a more modern one.

Thanks!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I saw someone that mounted a camera in the trunk key hole. It made sense to me since I never use my key to open the trunk.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member

MG0h3

Established Member
My new work truck has a backup cam. Useful sometimes but just like anything else, not totally necessary.

I’d never do it to my Cobra just because…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My new work truck has a backup cam. Useful sometimes but just like anything else, not totally necessary.

I’d never do it to my Cobra just because…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Back up camera in a DD is great. But i would not add it to a cobra or a hot rod that did not come with one.

JC-RH

Established Member
I highly appreciate it! The car is a daily for me. Plus I have no other choice than to back up into the garage, making this extremely useful since the distance is crucial.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I highly appreciate it! The car is a daily for me. Plus I have no other choice than to back up into the garage, making this extremely useful since the distance is crucial.

Tennis ball?
I kid, I hate back up cams. My truck has it but much prefer the beepy proximity sensor and visual. But might be less work to just place a marker in the garage.
Edit: saw you already have a deck so maybe worth it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you’re going to add a rear camera you might as well ad a front camera too and save the front bumper.
Both can be added at the same time and any high end stereo shop should be able to accommodate without hacking into something original.
It’s one of those things you don’t ‘need’ but would really improve your enjoyment when driving the car. I’d love to have them both on my GT500.
-J

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're wanting to do this mainly to back up into your garage, just lay down two tire stops. They're $40 and less on Amazon. Or you can buy a longer, single floor stopper.
1631020927790.png

fivelitrecobra

Established Member
I had one in a previous Cobra that was installed by the previous owner. It was installed in the trunk key hole. No holes needed drilled, super clean install. You would never know it was there. The wiring was tucked into the harness for the 3rd brake light in the deck lid.

JC-RH

Established Member
I had one in a previous Cobra that was installed by the previous owner. It was installed in the trunk key hole. No holes needed drilled, super clean install. You would never know it was there. The wiring was tucked into the harness for the 3rd brake light in the deck lid.
I’m leaning towards doing this. I need to physically look at it and inspect the area. I’m just a little concerned about being able to reverse the process if I ever have to.

My car came with a DD stereo, but it’s an off brand. I just placed an order for a nice Pioneer DD deck. I just need to find the right flush-mount camera, and I’ll be all set.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
I have one in the trunk key hole. It‘s not the most clear view because of the tunnel type of effect it has.

as for the comments on having one…most don’t keep the factory radio and almost all radios have the backup camera option, so why not add it? Most people change your blower, MAF, suspension, etc…amazing the attitude some of you have about doing mods other then performance.

JC-RH

Established Member
I have one in the trunk key hole. It‘s not the most clear view because of the tunnel type of effect it has.

as for the comments on having one…most don’t keep the factory radio and almost all radios have the backup camera option, so why not add it? Most people change your blower, MAF, suspension, etc…amazing the attitude some of you have about doing mods other then performance.
Exactly my thoughts. Go figure.

Is there any concern if the trunk actuator ever goes bad? You wouldn’t have the manual key to use, so how could you get the trunk open at that point? I have a convertible. I don’t think the back seats go down, but are they removable at least from inside the cabin?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My thought on it is your money your car. Do what makes you happy. A back up camera isn't something I see as something I need/want for a car this small. But then the only time I really use the camera in my truck is when I'm backing up to a trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread