Back locking up while sleeping

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I stretch out my lower back when I go to bed. It is part of what helps me along with what a lot of other people have said. Sleeping on a rock hard mattress has yielded the biggest results, but mine is from a lot of wear and tear, compression and fractures. Just my two cents.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I would go to a PT or a Chiropractor and see what they say.

Otherwise, even though your mattress is a year old, I'd say it could be the cause.

As someone with lower back issues on/off for the past few years, I can relate to this.

I drink over 150oz of water a day, go to Chiro at least twice a month and work out once in a great while.

Good luck OP.

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
Chiropractors are hacks

Based on what evidence?

Just because something is attacked by the AMA doesn't mean it's bad. MD's often write a prescription which treats the symptom and not the cause. For every one negative article you find about chiropractic you could probably find dozens if not hundreds of negative articles about MD's; consider the opioid epidemic alone.

Chiropractors spend just as much time in school (covering the exact same curriculum) and clinical rotations as MD's. While they don't have residency requirements they focus on musculoskeletal the entire time they are in school.

I'll go you one further... Google "adjustments by Physical Therapists" and you will see almost the exact same techniques used by Chiropractors.

Last edited:

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Based on what evidence?

Just because something is attacked by the AMA doesn't mean it's bad. MD's often write a prescription which treats the symptom and not the cause. For every one negative article you find about chiropractic you could probably find dozens if not hundreds of negative articles about MD's; consider the opioid epidemic alone.

Chiropractors spend just as much time in school (covering the exact same curriculum) and clinical rotations as MD's. While they don't have residency requirements they focus on musculoskeletal the entire time they are in school.

I'll go you one further... Google "adjustments by Physical Therapists" and you will see almost the exact same techniques used by Chiropractors.

Personal experience. Every chiropractor I've ever been to gave me the feeling they saw me as recurring revenue. I could use your same argument of "fixing the symptom and not the cause."

Yeah the 3-7 years of residency/speciality training outside of the 4 years of med school/clinicals means nothing.

Physical therapists aren't medical doctors either.

Look I get your point but what I said was an opinion, I figured the use of the word "hacks" made that clear.

The truth is if you have a hardcore back problem (say, herniated discs) the only true solution is to get surgery. Guess which one of the professions we're discussing is allowed to do that?

It's your $ and your back, do whatever the hell you want to do with both

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
back stretcher. My uncles back is ****ED with problems and he swears these things help (just one example)

Logan2003Cobra

Established Member
Personal experience. Every chiropractor I've ever been to gave me the feeling they saw me as recurring revenue.

Chiropractors treat based on the needs and behaviors of their patients.

If most people followed your advice here:

• Hydrate
  • Stretch
  • Core exercises

In addition to proper diet and cardio... both MD's and Chiropractors would see far fewer patients.

RALPH R

Established Member
i'm 31 and my back pain kept me up at night for a while. must be the years of drilling wells. I'm scared to go to the doctor and find out i have some serious issues or need surgery, etc.

but yeah, what everyone else has said has helped me over the past few months with my back pain. just have to put in the extra work. proper posture, eating good, staying hydrated, stretching and exercise. easier said than done.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Here’s some free professional advice. You’re too young not to look into this. Go see your doctor. Have some imaging of your spine to have as a baseline. Most likely to improve with PT (or Chiro if you prefer) I wouldn’t let either touch you without some diagnostic testing. And yes, I do know what I’m talking about :)
-J

MPM IV

Established Member
Lot of good suggestions here. For me it's a combination of things: stretching, exercise, hydration, firm mattress. I think the inversion table is a great tool, as is a foam roll, or piece of 4" or larger PVC pipe.
I believe chiropractor and massage therapy go together, as knotting muscles can pull disks out of alignment. The challenge is the same as any other service, finding people who are good at their job.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Lot of good suggestions here. For me it's a combination of things: stretching, exercise, hydration, firm mattress. I think the inversion table is a great tool, as is a foam roll, or piece of 4" or larger PVC pipe.
I believe chiropractor and massage therapy go together, as knotting muscles can pull disks out of alignment. The challenge is the same as any other service, finding people who are good at their job.
Last time I’m commenting on this thread. Your suggestions are good and correct. But they are things to do AFTER a diagnostic work up to determine the likely cause while ruling out other potential causes of more serious significance. I’ve had to give very sad and terminal results to patients who could have had much different prognosis if they simply would have addressed a symptom much earlier.
-J

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
No, mayoclinic.org is right.
giphy.gif

Blown 89

Established Member
Last time I’m commenting on this thread. Your suggestions are good and correct. But they are things to do AFTER a diagnostic work up to determine the likely cause while ruling out other potential causes of more serious significance. I’ve had to give very sad and terminal results to patients who could have had much different prognosis if they simply would have addressed a symptom much earlier.
-J
My grandfather had severe back pain and thought it was just muscle spasms. Ended up being a tumor that killed him.

nxhappy

Established Member
recently went to the doc cause my shoulder is real jacked up. He told me to get CBD cream. I am now using it and that stuff is ****ing AWESOME !

Users who are viewing this thread