Back locking up while sleeping

coposrv

Established Member
A few months ago I would wake up and barely be able to get out of bed. After and hour or so my back would loosen up and I would be 85% normal. I went and got a grueling deep tissue back massage and 3-4 weeks went by and I felt great. Now the past 3 days has been just as bad as before. It feels like the two muscles along my spine are locked up in a spasm and now my abs. It’s making it hard to breathe and get a good night of sleep. I’m active, in good shape and only 34.

Anybody have any remedies?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

noco5.0

Established Member
New mattress? I just bought a Helix mattress online to replace the cheap mattress I had before and between that and a stand up desk at work it's made a world of difference.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I would try taking in more water. Dehydration can cause muscles to cramp. Everyone is different but it works for me. If it persists, see a physician.
This.

Could be a disc issue or maybe just muscular.

I’d bet some physical therapy to strengthen the muscles and spine would probably help you a lot.
And this.

Try eating a banana and drinking a full glass of water before you go to bed. Seriously.

coposrv

Established Member
Definitely need more water I think. Especially the last week. Working outside has SUCKED. I bring a gallon but it might not be enough. This morning was a nightmare. I woke up at 330 and again at 6 in pain barely being able to breathe. I was nervous but like always, after rolling out of bed and my wife helping me get up and moving everything loosened up after an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Sounds like it’s muscular in nature, perhaps some nerve issues. I’d probably see a sports doctor and at least get some X-rays done to rule out anything with the spine. I completely agree with the others on hydration, lack of water can really **** you up. If it ends up being muscular in nature then I’d recommend getting one of those TENS machines, electrical stimulation of the back and neck muscles will help significantly. I have one off of amazon that I got for 30-40 bucks, ****ing life saver!

VegasMichael

Established Member
I don't have a remedy but did you ever try inverting yourself? Do a headstand against a wall and just relax your abdomen and lower back and let gravity work your core like it's never been worked before. It feels great.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I have back pain exactly as you describe, the muscles on both sides of the spine in my middle back when in bed or laying down for too long. So bad I can't sleep and just get up. I got you by 12 years and my problem didn't start until about 7 or 8 years ago.

We changed mattresses a few years ago but it didn't offer much help.

The only thing that has helped is everyday stretching and having my 5 year old daughter walk on my back.

coposrv

Established Member
Dude go to the ****ing doctor.

Yeah I know. It just sucks to make an apt with your pcp and then get a referral and then go to PT. It’s a process. I was just curious if anyone had any experience or suggestions that may help in the mean time.

Blown 89

Established Member
Yeah I know. It just sucks to make an apt with your pcp and then get a referral and then go to PT. It’s a process. I was just curious if anyone had any experience or suggestions that may help in the mean time.

Shiatsu back rests are only $25 on Amazon while you're waiting. If that deep tissue massage worked for a while one of those might help until you see a doctor. I spend about an hour a night on mine. I know what's wrong with my back though, until you rule out something serious it's impossible to suggest a remedy over the internet.

quad

Established Member
I agree a banana (potassium rich) will help and drinking more water. I sleep on my side with three pillows - a small pillow between the legs, a pillow to lay my arm on and then one for the head. And the mattress is a good semi-firm foam type. I would have preferred very firm but my wife can't handle that. Our mattress can't flip but it can be turned so we rotate it 180 degrees every now and then.

Doing core exercises will also help strengthen and condition your back and get blood flowing. Sit ups, hyper extensions, good mornings, deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts etc. You'll be amazed how much better your back feels after adding these exercises on a regular basis.

quad

Established Member
Dude go to the ****ing doctor. Stop asking idiots on the internet. (No offense idiots)
Most doctors probably have no clue. My sister is a doctor and I know a lot more about exercising and conditioning the body than she does. Taking care of your back is not a doctor question. It's common sense. You need to train the muscles, stretch, stay hydrated, have good posture, don't lift more than you can and use your legs when you pick up heavy shit etc. Most doctors are good for writing a script if you have back pain.

Want a strong back - listen to this man. Great advice in this video...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
What are the Co diction of your work shoes or boots? I tried Dr. Scholls inserts once. A week of use gave me a sore back and even worse feet.

If your work footware is worn, replace them

roadracer247

Established Member
OP, have you tried any of those adjustable beds? The ones that can raise and lower the head and feet, kinda like a hospital bed? Probably pricey, but couldn’t hurt to look and see if you can find a free in home trial period? Cause that sounds like an awful way to start every day.

Definitely need some stretching and strengthening like many here have suggested. Swimming is a great exercise with a bad back. Just let me insist on one thing. Be honest with yourself and if you need a coach, get one! Swimming isn’t hard when done correctly. But it’s a learned skill. Overall I’m concerned about making those recommendations because we don’t really know if it’s a tear or compression fracture, or maybe a slipped disc? Unfortunately those are all pretty common too. And unfortunately we don’t get to have Xray glasses yet. Seriously, why don’t we have these yet?!?

Remember though, I’m just some idiot on the internet. If you can be your own advocate, you can actually find someone in our healthcare system that can help with your bad back.

Problem (one of many) is just like every job, in every profession there’s people that just suck ass at their field. And doctors are most definitely not excluded from that list. Just sucks though when it ends up being your doctor who’s the dumb ass.

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
Update; wife and baby went to the cape house for the week. I slept on her side and last night and I also had 120 ounces of water yesterday. Still woke up at 4am and stretched followed by a wicked hot shower. Felt better.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread