Back in an SVT

mnewxcv

Established Member
photo_2018-05-02_20-03-21 (1).jpg
I joined here way back when, had an SVT contour as my first car right after high school, then got an SVT focus, and sort of left the forum after the new forum software didn't grow on me. Well, I'm back with a new SVT, I picked up this 1996 Cobra last week! So far it is a blast. Has pypes pype bomb cat back, a tri ax shift handle, fr500s in need of some love (peeling). I am ordering bbk underdrive pulleys, a jlt ram air intake, a bbk OR x pipe, and possibly a tune (probably a little down the road). Anyway, here is a photo, and good to back at SVTP!

Last edited:

mnewxcv

Established Member
The paint looks well taken care of. Very nice!

unfortunately the hood has some paint issues (either partial repaint or major fading) where it is noticably two different shades. I am going to give it a full detail though and overall, it isn't too bad.

As for gears, going to hold off on that until I get all the bolt ons on. If it doesn't feel like enough power, may want to go procharger in another year, hence keeping the factory gears for now.

mnewxcv

Established Member
Looks nice, any plans on lowering it?

actually just ordered a lift kit, should really give it a nice 4x4 stance :D

kidding, I'm sure I will lower it eventually. I don't mind the stock ride honestly, but lowering it would be mainly for the looks. That being said, I can get a set of cheapo lowering springs for under $100, is that going to cause the factory shocks to wear out significantly faster? 120k on the car, but still rides decent, so possibly already replaced at some point.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on the Cobra!
Love the color combo. The interior looks really nice.

mnewxcv

Established Member
Here's a video I took to give a sense of the car. Definitely needs a good detail in and out, but doesn't need much more than that cosmetically.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Just needs some TLC! Very nice, my 97 Cobra was one of my favorites! Picked it up new back in the day

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
unfortunately the hood has some paint issues (either partial repaint or major fading) where it is noticably two different shades. I am going to give it a full detail though and overall, it isn't too bad.

As for gears, going to hold off on that until I get all the bolt ons on. If it doesn't feel like enough power, may want to go procharger in another year, hence keeping the factory gears for now.

Gears are perfectly fine for a centri car. Almost a “must” imo.

Leaving FI aside, gears turn a NA cobra into a different car.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you already have 373’s? If not, I would go 4.10’s. Just a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Nice ride. My eaton swapped 01 has 4.30s and it hits the rev limiter in 4th before the end of the 1/4. I'd like to go down to 3.55s but don't care that much.

mnewxcv

Established Member
Nice ride. My eaton swapped 01 has 4.30s and it hits the rev limiter in 4th before the end of the 1/4. I'd like to go down to 3.55s but don't care that much.

the shift to 5th is definitely my slowest, so that is something I would like to avoid.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! Nice paint color and it looks to be a great shape. Didn't you post in a New England (Taste Of Home) thread that your SVT Contour was seen in the photo posted? I think so.

Users who are viewing this thread