Back in a mustang...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
called the dealer and my car has never been inspected for the timing chain issue...the inspection takes an hour but if they see any issues they replace a bunch of parts and the car will be gone several days. getting it looked at next thursday. will update after.
Can you elaborate? Doesn't make sense that Carfax would be so specific in terms of the issue listed but that somehow OASIS (I'm assuming) got it wrong...?

ArabianOak

Established Member
Can you elaborate? Doesn't make sense that Carfax would be so specific in terms of the issue listed but that somehow OASIS (I'm assuming) got it wrong...?
He looked up my vin and it said my vehicle could be impacted by it but has never been inspected. First step is the inspection which was never done.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The inspection is quick if the initial look at the passenger side tensioner shows it as having been released. I'm a firm believer that both should sides should be inspected but for whatever reason, Ford believes that if one side was released during engine assembly, that the other side was as well.

ArabianOak

Established Member
The inspection is quick if the initial look at the passenger side tensioner shows it as having been released. I'm a firm believer that both should sides should be inspected but for whatever reason, Ford believes that if one side was released during engine assembly, that the other side was as well.

Why wouldnt all the gt500's show this on the carfax? Just curious why mine has it tagged and others don't.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Not all GT500's fell within the timeframe.

Take a look at the builder plate on the engine if you get the chance. Seems a number of these issues surfaced from one particular niche engine builder...

FFCA5D8F-1695-4789-8443-ACC0683CA2DB_1_105_c.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
called the dealer and my car has never been inspected for the timing chain issue...the inspection takes an hour but if they see any issues they replace a bunch of parts and the car will be gone several days. getting it looked at next thursday. will update after.
Sorry to hear that you might have your car at the dealership for several days. Seems to be an easy enough inspection and fix if there is an issue, but not the way you want to start out with a new car.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Sorry to hear that you might have your car at the dealership for several days. Seems to be an easy enough inspection and fix if there is an issue, but not the way you want to start out with a new car.

Yep, always a little frustrating...but better safe than sorry.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The inspection is easy to do on your own by simply removing the engine oil fill cap and shining a light inside and onto/around the tensioner. A small mirror helps to be able to verify the tensioner piston groove position.

ArabianOak

Established Member
The inspection is easy to do on your own by simply removing the engine oil fill cap and shining a light inside and onto/around the tensioner. A small mirror helps to be able to verify the tensioner piston groove position.
Video? Lol.

72SBC

Established Member
I didn’t even know they made fat boy seats on those, they look WAY better to me. The recaro bolsters are way to crazy for everyday stuff. Nice!

ArabianOak

Established Member
initial driving impressions...having owned a good amount of highly rated performance cars I come away extremely impressed by this gt500.

my last experience with a shelby was my 2014 model. that car was the closest I ever came to death, it almost always tried to kill me. it was a car that had world class power but never had the chassis/suspension to back up such power. the live axle was supposedly great for drag racing but terrible everywhere else. I still loved my 14 shelby, i always viewed it as a modern day version of a mid 90's viper.

after the shelby i owned 2 different s550 cars. one was a bolt on car m6 that ran low 12's, the other was a vmp kit car that made 680rwhp. i loved both of them and my vmp car was a car i kept almost 3 years! a very long time for me lol. the s550 really raised the bar for mustang owners in my opinion, interior, technology, comfort and great looks.

i havent owned a mustang since 2017 and in between that was a mclaren 12c, ferrari ff, 2 different zr1's, 2 different z06's, a trackhawk and several AMG cars. last car before the shelby was an NSX. all of them were great other than the c6z which blew it's engine...

how would i pit the predator shelby against them...it is def top 3 and will probably makes it way up to number 1 with more seat time. here is why...

1. power...my old 14 shelby made over 700rwhp but NEVER put that down to the ground. this car does a fantastic job of putting it's power to the ground. I am amazed of how great the rear end squats and off she goes. it also has a world class traction management system that the old mustangs could never dream of. even the c7 vettes have issues with very erratic traction control systems, ones that are hard to predict and sometimes scary. this car is confident in all situations so far and i really pushed the envelop yesterday trying to find it's weaknesses.

2. transmission...where the hell did ford get this transmission? the best trans i have ever witnessed was on my e63 AMG s...lightning fast and shifting aggressively when needed and soft when not...the shelby trans is BETTER than that and does everything dam near perfectly. the paddle shifting is almost sensitive to the heat of your fingers...it's that fast. i am soooo impressed with the trans of this car. my last zr1 didnt have the dct and the paddle shifting was delayed in some situations. this is on a whole new level for ford. the only american car I would say is close is maybe the trans used in the trackhawk...but this trans is better.

3. suspension...the modes make a nice difference and when in normal mode the car is very comfortable to drive. the weight of the car helps with this of course. the higher ground clearance is great as well. compared to my other sports cars this car rides very nicely...the trackhawk rode nicer but that was an suv...the zr1 was low and stiff and the mclaren was like sitting in a bathtub. considering it runs mid 10's in stock form this car is very civil to drive on the street.

4. interior...i am very impressed with the interior...mine is opted with the 3k electronics package/exposed carbon. the stereo is bang/olufson and does a decent job even though I would have expected better with that brand. nowhere near the european cars (my rs7 had the B/O stereo with the pop up speakers on startup etc). the new sync system is as good as i've ever seen and having the non-recaro seats that have heating/cooling/power is great. the carbon exposed dash make the car feel really high end and ford did a nice job of adding lots of small shelby accents the car (snake emblem on the screen at startup, chassis plaque on the dash, shelby key, shelby mud lights). again, not a bad place to spend time, wayyyy more comfy than any vette and with the exception of my ferrari ff as comforable as you can get in a 2 door sports car with this kind of power. it also appears ford has done some minor detail updates since I had my 15 5.0. the icing on the cake is the incredible digital dash...as good as anything European for a lot less money.

5. exterior...probably the most badass looking car on the street...haha...menacing looking...far more aggressive than your regular mustang. not exotic looking, but def a car with lots of presence. the zr1 was the same way with the big wing etc. very similar. really like the looks but hate having a black car.

6. engine bay...this was really impressive to me...quality everywhere you look, big ass supercharger at the center, finally a hydraulic hood prop! cool buttons on the hood to pop it...only downfall was the really ugly intake, cheap plastic too. I would assume ford knows most of us will swap it.

complaints...it does feel heavy, because it is. not sure how much ford could have done to get this car down 300-500lbs but it feels and drives like a big car.

trunk carpet is really thin and chinsy...ford seems to have put so much thought into the interior but then made the trunk look old fashioned...even the subwoofer speaker frame is chinsy black plastic. not a big deal but the car is so well done everywhere else that you really notice it.

other than that I think this car is a homerun. i look forward to much more seat time the next few weeks before winter sets in.

any questions, feel free to ask.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
initial driving impressions...having owned a good amount of highly rated performance cars I come away extremely impressed by this gt500.

my last experience with a shelby was my 2014 model. that car was the closest I ever came to death, it almost always tried to kill me. it was a car that had world class power but never had the chassis/suspension to back up such power. the live axle was supposedly great for drag racing but terrible everywhere else. I still loved my 14 shelby, i always viewed it as a modern day version of a mid 90's viper.

after the shelby i owned 2 different s550 cars. one was a bolt on car m6 that ran low 12's, the other was a vmp kit car that made 680rwhp. i loved both of them and my vmp car was a car i kept almost 3 years! a very long time for me lol. the s550 really raised the bar for mustang owners in my opinion, interior, technology, comfort and great looks.

i havent owned a mustang since 2017 and in between that was a mclaren 12c, ferrari ff, 2 different zr1's, 2 different z06's, a trackhawk and several AMG cars. last car before the shelby was an NSX. all of them were great other than the c6z which blew it's engine...

how would i pit the predator shelby against them...it is def top 3 and will probably makes it way up to number 1 with more seat time. here is why...

1. power...my old 14 shelby made over 700rwhp but NEVER put that down to the ground. this car does a fantastic job of putting it's power to the ground. I am amazed of how great the rear end squats and off she goes. it also has a world class traction management system that the old mustangs could never dream of. even the c7 vettes have issues with very erratic traction control systems, ones that are hard to predict and sometimes scary. this car is confident in all situations so far and i really pushed the envelop yesterday trying to find it's weaknesses.

2. transmission...where the hell did ford get this transmission? the best trans i have ever witnessed was on my e63 AMG s...lightning fast and shifting aggressively when needed and soft when not...the shelby trans is BETTER than that and does everything dam near perfectly. the paddle shifting is almost sensitive to the heat of your fingers...it's that fast. i am soooo impressed with the trans of this car. my last zr1 didnt have the dct and the paddle shifting was delayed in some situations. this is on a whole new level for ford. the only american car I would say is close is maybe the trans used in the trackhawk...but this trans is better.

3. suspension...the modes make a nice difference and when in normal mode the car is very comfortable to drive. the weight of the car helps with this of course. the higher ground clearance is great as well. compared to my other sports cars this car rides very nicely...the trackhawk rode nicer but that was an suv...the zr1 was low and stiff and the mclaren was like sitting in a bathtub. considering it runs mid 10's in stock form this car is very civil to drive on the street.

4. interior...i am very impressed with the interior...mine is opted with the 3k electronics package/exposed carbon. the stereo is bang/olufson and does a decent job even though I would have expected better with that brand. nowhere near the european cars (my rs7 had the B/O stereo with the pop up speakers on startup etc). the new sync system is as good as i've ever seen and having the non-recaro seats that have heating/cooling/power is great. the carbon exposed dash make the car feel really high end and ford did a nice job of adding lots of small shelby accents the car (snake emblem on the screen at startup, chassis plaque on the dash, shelby key, shelby mud lights). again, not a bad place to spend time, wayyyy more comfy than any vette and with the exception of my ferrari ff as comforable as you can get in a 2 door sports car with this kind of power. it also appears ford has done some minor detail updates since I had my 15 5.0. the icing on the cake is the incredible digital dash...as good as anything European for a lot less money.

5. exterior...probably the most badass looking car on the street...haha...menacing looking...far more aggressive than your regular mustang. not exotic looking, but def a car with lots of presence. the zr1 was the same way with the big wing etc. very similar. really like the looks but hate having a black car.

6. engine bay...this was really impressive to me...quality everywhere you look, big ass supercharger at the center, finally a hydraulic hood prop! cool buttons on the hood to pop it...only downfall was the really ugly intake, cheap plastic too. I would assume ford knows most of us will swap it.

complaints...it does feel heavy, because it is. not sure how much ford could have done to get this car down 300-500lbs but it feels and drives like a big car.

trunk carpet is really thin and chinsy...ford seems to have put so much thought into the interior but then made the trunk look old fashioned...even the subwoofer speaker frame is chinsy black plastic. not a big deal but the car is so well done everywhere else that you really notice it.

other than that I think this car is a homerun. i look forward to much more seat time the next few weeks before winter sets in.

Dude, this is a great review! I, to this point, have not been real impressed with this car until i read your review. I come away feeling like it is honest and you do a good job highlighting some points i havent yet heard due to your experiences in other, higher end cars.

Very cool, and now i want to drive one.

01silverstang

Established Member

When do I get to see it? It's shame the car season here in Chicagoland is at a close.
Hopefully replacing my passenger rear shock and getting some seat time in tomorrow.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Dude, this is a great review! I, to this point, have not been real impressed with this car until i read your review. I come away feeling like it is honest and you do a good job highlighting some points i havent yet heard due to your experiences in other, higher end cars.

Very cool, and now i want to drive one.
Yeah it was a great review.

ArabianOak

Established Member
so i washed the car by hand for the first time and found out it had a full eckbond coating done on it with a 5 year warranty not too long ago...it def has a nice clear coat over the paint thats really easy to clean from. here is the website for the product...curious on everyones thoughts.

ECKBOND COATING

ArabianOak

Established Member
While we know what the car can run, where's the dragy results?
haha...probably wont dragy it this time of the year...hoping to hit byron on a nice 65-70 degree weekend soon. i did see some people online running 10.7 in 45 degree weather on really well prepped drag strips.

Users who are viewing this thread