Baby carrier car seat protector suggestions?

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Hello, my wife and I have our first, a boy, coming in early December and I need to find a good seat protector to keep the baby carrier from causing damage to the seats of our cars. Any suggestions?

Optimally I would not allow him anywhere close to a vehicle until he is 25+, but I guess that is not feasible, so...

coposrv

Established Member
I had one in for about 10 minutes it felt like it caused the seat to slide around on the leather. Our oldest is 3 and no matter what it’s the liquid, milk, snacks, dirty feet etc. that causes the most wear and tear. I gave up pretty quickly and just let it ride.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SHOdown220

Established Member
My wife ordered some off Amazon that are easy to install and help keep the seat somewhat protected. Less than 5 minute install and don’t move around at all.

Blown 89

Established Member
I have this one:

100% worth it. The seat doesn't slide around and it saved the suede in my V when my son vomited all over the back. If your seat slides on it you haven't installed your seat correctly. FYI, any fire station will show you how to install the seat for free.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
From daughter with 3 kiddos:
"No seat protectors - technically they’re not ‘safe’ and useable with car seats because car seats aren’t safety tested with them.
They also make it harder to get the seat secured down."

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I use either bath towels or thin folded blanket. If you're securing with the LATCH system you can still secure the baby seat to the seat of the car tight enough that there is no movement. My 3rd child is 9 months and I am currently using this method.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I have this one:

100% worth it. The seat doesn't slide around and it saved the suede in my V when my son vomited all over the back. If your seat slides on it you haven't installed your seat correctly. FYI, any fire station will show you how to install the seat for free.
We put that one in our explorer sport when it was new and my daughter was an infant, the seat looks brand new still.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
FYI, any fire station will show you how to install the seat for free.
Common misconception. While most firefighters know how to install a car seat many larger departments are not allowed to install them due to liability. There is actually a certification for it and we have a few contacts that we can refer people to for proper (free) installs.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I had one in for about 10 minutes it felt like it caused the seat to slide around on the leather. Our oldest is 3 and no matter what it’s the liquid, milk, snacks, dirty feet etc. that causes the most wear and tear. I gave up pretty quickly and just let it ride.

Not worth the hassle.
These
Not kids, but grandkids. Not worth the time.

96dreamer

Established Member

Have one of these in my truck and wife's car. Work great so far. After strapping the car seat base down I don't think they are any more unsafe than not having one. I really cinched the things down though.

Blown 89

Established Member
Common misconception. While most firefighters know how to install a car seat many larger departments are not allowed to install them due to liability. There is actually a certification for it and we have a few contacts that we can refer people to for proper (free) installs.
I didn't know that. Apparently they're only certain stations in phoenix and you have to make an appointment. Still worth looking into. I know some AAA locations will do it as well. Our hospital wouldn't let you leave until your seat was inspected by a fireman.

nxhappy

Established Member
Man you ****ers are misinformed LOL. Dad of 2 baby's here. yes (seat covers) they are safe, and yes they are a great investment. The key is to have a GOOD seat. only the shit seats will not lock in place, and will slide around. Usually the more expensive seats ARE the better ones. Buy a good set of covers. and buy a good seat. Also, lay down a good rubber mat set. You WILL see vomit and you WILL see food every where. welcome to fatherhood.

nxhappy

Established Member

Have one of these in my truck and wife's car. Work great so far. After strapping the car seat base down I don't think they are any more unsafe than not having one. I really cinched the things down though.
awesome, I have similar ones

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'm not sure what kind of seats you guys have or protectors you have tried but mine fit just as well with the protectors than they do without. I use the latch system but there is no movement in the car seats. Leather seats if it matters.

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
We tried a car seat protector and took it out very quickly. They didn't do anything and didn't protect the seats from the biggest issue which is deformation of the foam. Those seats strap in so tight and are in so long that the seat is bound to get deformed a bit. Eventually the deformation mostly comes out.

Just strap in the seat and enjoy the ride. Keep the baby safe and don't worry about the car.

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
In my F150 I have the Carhartt cover on the rear seat with the Britax protector and we have Britax car seats. I have had zero issues with the seat sliding, moving, or being tight.

I would not hesitate to buy again.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
My wife is 30 and I am 53, so I wasn't expecting to ever be a father until I met her, so it is nice to know that she will have someone to look after her when I am long gone some day.

Thanks for the suggestions!

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Finding a good flat base car seat, a seat protector with low profile rubber grips AND utilizing the latch and anchors on the vehicle is what worked for us. We initially used some graco model that had a “feet” design and it was digging into the leather. Got rid of that quickly. Spills are unavoidable. Roll with the punches and clean as you go.

Users who are viewing this thread