B cam dyno results..dissappointing

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Went to FFW in Commerce, Ga this weekend with dissappointing results. Installed the FMS 'B' cam along with new timing chain and new valve springs last weekend. From the looks of it all I gained was a choppy idle and 2 horsepower.
I knew something wasn't right when the best time I could muster was a 13.15 (have run 12.6's-12.7's several times before). Granted I missed a gear on two runs but my other run should have been better on the 100 shot of juice I was running.

Anyhow, I got on the dyno they had at the track this morning.
Turns out off the bottle I could only pull 250 rwhp and 283 rwtq.
Before I put the cam in I pulled 248 rwhp and 292 rwtq!

I guess I am going to have to look into a custom chip. I am sure should have been way better than that.

By the way on the bottle with around 900 psi the car pulled 326 rwhp and 400 rwtq.

jrCobra

Established Member
That sucks LEE, did it feel any different? I was kinda looking forward to my cam swap but now I'm a little worried that maybe I could have spent the $160 elsewhere. Which brain are you using now, I heard you had no better results with the A9L. It's weird that so many others swear by it. Do you think that would have had any affect on the dynos?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Actually the car does feel better. I am currently (this week and weekend)fooling around with the timing and fuel pressure. I am also going to replace the plugs in case any of them were gas fouled from a cranking issue I had after the cam was installed.

As soon as I get some extra money I am going to the shop I went to last year for dyno runs and probably let them find te best tune for it or burn a chip.

1qwkpny

Established Member
hp

:read:
From my experience I can tell you that you should be running a fuel pressure of 45psi, approx. 14degrees of timing or whatever 1 degree below "pinging" is, and hell yes replace the plugs(maybe wires), ever checked the cap/rotor? The stock cobra cam is basically just T-bird cam, I would have suggested goint to the F-303 cam. Next, I would suggest that you check your fuel filter because that is usually the last thing people think of and it is normally worth 5-15hp by installing a "quality" filter like the one from canton motorsports( you know the oil pan people); and finally I would suggest you disconnect your battery for at least an hour or two. Its worked for me...

RapidRunner

Established Member
LEE93COBRA That does suck, hey what do you have everything set at btw??

Fuel

Timing

TPS

You swap computers also?? the cobra one just pulls some timing at 93-95mph...

ALso with all your stuff, did you upgrade MAF and TB???
...................................................................................................
1qwkpny The 93 cobra cam was also used in 93 t-birds as far as I know, the 93 birds were a little quicker.....

Also why 45, seems sorta wet to run around town at all day long???

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
1qwkpny-
The cap and rotor have been replaced (last fall I believe) and the plugs are only about 2 months old. I am going to replace the plugs again as I stated in my previous post.

You would have selected the 'F' cam, why? I feel that cam is way to much for the GT-40's since the lift is at .512 with 1.6 rockers which means with the stock 1.7's it would be somewhere around .525-.530. Max flow capabilities on the factory GT-40's is between .490-.500 lift which where I should be at with the b cam and the stock 1.7's.

Rapidrunner- right now fuel is set at about 38 psi, timing is set at 16, and I have not checked the TPS but I previously had it set at .98 volts and I assume that it should still bet set at that since I ave not removed it.

I have not upgraded the stock t/b. Do you really think that I need it since I am not running a blower or aluminum heads. Since the factory t/b is a 65mm what would oyu upgrade to? 70 mm? The stock MAF has been ported.
I tried the computer(A9L) and MAF swap(Pro-M 75) around x-mas and showed absolutely no gains at the track. As a matter of fact I believe I lost power.
I took it back out because the car did not have good driveability when cold. When I go back to the dyno I plan on taking the Pro-M and A9L with me and probably will tune the car with that setup installed.

Users who are viewing this thread