B-52 Engines

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
They finally actually pulled the trigger. When I joined the Air Force in 1980, they were talking about new engines for the BUFF!

Rolls-Royce wins Pentagon contract to build new B-52 engines

• Rolls-Royce (OTCPK:RYCEY, OTCPK:RYCEF) is awarded a contract to provide upgraded engines for the U.S. Air Force's B-52 bomber fleet in an award that could grow to $2.6B, the Department of Defense announces, beating out General Electric (NYSE:GE) and incumbent Pratt & Whitney (NYSE:RTX).
  • Rolls-Royce was given an initial six-year $501M base contract to supply 608 engines for installation on the Air Force's 76 active-duty and reserve B-52s, which could grow to $2.6B if all options are exercised.
  • GE's bids included its CF34-10 and Passport engines, while Raytheon's Pratt & Whitney offered its PW800.
  • The Pentagon says the work will be performed at the Rolls-Royce facility in Indianapolis, where the company says it has invested more than $600M in advanced manufacturing and technology.
  • Rolls-Royce also could be a beneficiary of Australia's recent switch to nuclear-powered submarines away from a planned purchase of French diesel vessels.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I never would have thought Rolls Royce to be an airplane engine builder. Interesting. I guess they make more than fancy cars.....

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I never would have thought Rolls Royce to be an airplane engine builder. Interesting. I guess they make more than fancy cars.....
The RR Merlin (and then the Packard supercharged version) is what made the p51 one of the best fighters of ww2

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
They made aircraft engines before they made cars. Look up the Rolls Royce Merlin, Griffon, etc.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Every once in a while I see one in Vegas since they have flown in and out of Nellis AF Base. There might even be some assigned to one of the Wings there.

Users who are viewing this thread