[b]500RWHP!!]

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
hey guys what mods will i need to get a bone stock 03 cobra up to around 500rwhp?

Im trying to work out the best gains/value/reliability package for the car.
Looked at the SLP kit because everything is all there including a custom map tune so no need for dyno tune but some say they think the kit may be low quality.

Is it easier to go the way of exhaust, headers, CAI and pulley or is it better to just keep the stock equipment but swap stock eaton for a whipple or kenne bell charger? Do you need to remap the ecu everytime you add something to the car? This is what pissed me off with my evo 7!!

Cheers guys :D :thumbsup:

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
koopa said:
hey guys what mods will i need to get a bone stock 03 cobra up to around 500rwhp?

Im trying to work out the best gains/value/reliability package for the car.
Looked at the SLP kit because everything is all there including a custom map tune so no need for dyno tune but some say they think the kit may be low quality.

Is it easier to go the way of exhaust, headers, CAI and pulley or is it better to just keep the stock equipment but swap stock eaton for a whipple or kenne bell charger? Do you need to remap the ecu everytime you add something to the car? This is what pissed me off with my evo 7!!

Cheers guys :D :thumbsup:

First off welcome to the site!! :D :D

If you use the search button you will find thousand of topics on this question!! But I will get you started...for 500RWHP you will need

ported blower/ T.B. plenum
CAI
exhaust
upper pulley
lower pulley (opt. some people like the extra TQ)
MAFia
A good custom tune

Alot of people don't get the extra's but I did like the 60# injectors, BAP, I was running out of both so I needed to upgrade. It is almost a must you will need the Billetflow IRS brace too!! Its early so I know that I am missing some stuff Hope this helps!!

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info chap.

any idea how much i should budget roughly for parts and labour? I wanna have the only badass cobra in the city and kick some jap import butt!!!

Does a tune already supplied on an Xcalibrator for these mods still require a dyno set up? I frigging hate having to travel to my local dyno and get skinned 60 quid an hour while the **** knocker in charge takes 6 hours to **** the car about and then tell me its running lean

UrHookUp

Vette Killer
Established Member
well, we only charge a flat fee for a dyno tune. that gives you a min 3 runs & up to 2 hrs of time. We use the Diablo chips & dyno tune them to each car. you can put on almost all of the bolt on parts yourself & save yourself the labor rate. The chip on other hand, recommend the dyno tune. Make sure your air flow mixture is good thru top end.
Plus you can set on/off your Trac Control.

Search around for each part & you'll save money. prolly look to spend around 1500.00 to 2000.00 total for all the parts.

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
thanks for that guys! gotta say i luuurve american muscle. I think im the only guy in this city that actually understands the untapped performance potential of these cars!!! My old man has disowned his vanquish to play with the mustang :D 50 years old and still doing doughnuts in the street like a lil badass

RixSikcobra04

Keep the faith over there on the other side of the pond, mate. Welcome to the site. Lots of good/knowledgeble people here. That Cobra will be at 500 in no time.

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
'mon the 'stangs !!!! :rockon:

my mate kenny just bought a 600bhp supra and keeps bragging how hes pissing on gt4's , sti's and skylines etc. pfffft :dw: the guy will be running 15's all day with his street tyres ;-) Need to get that 500rwhp to teach him that the us muscle was playing this game long before 'fasht and pure furioush mahhhn' came out :nono:

Pred_mech

Established Member
Whats up man! I will be in Lakenheath in November and will be bringing my Cobra with me. Are you on the MOCGB site? I found it and have posted a little bit. The guys there mostly have older stangs though. Keep posting in these forums. Tons of information on our cars. Maybe we can meet up someday at a track and have it out. 2 03-04 cobras in the UK, that would be cool.

By the way, do you know if I can get my nitrous filled over there?

-Daniel

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
stangd1909 said:
First off welcome to the site!! :D :D

If you use the search button you will find thousand of topics on this question!! But I will get you started...for 500RWHP you will need

ported blower/ T.B. plenum
CAI
exhaust
upper pulley
lower pulley (opt. some people like the extra TQ)
MAFia
A good custom tune

Alot of people don't get the extra's but I did like the 60# injectors, BAP, I was running out of both so I needed to upgrade. It is almost a must you will need the Billetflow IRS brace too!! Its early so I know that I am missing some stuff Hope this helps!!

Good recipe--just make sure you ad in some cooling mods (i.e. an aftermaket heat exchanger, etc.) to make sure you run safe.

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
03sonicsvt said:
Whats up man! I will be in Lakenheath in November and will be bringing my Cobra with me. Are you on the MOCGB site? I found it and have posted a little bit. The guys there mostly have older stangs though. Keep posting in these forums. Tons of information on our cars. Maybe we can meet up someday at a track and have it out. 2 03-04 cobras in the UK, that would be cool.

By the way, do you know if I can get my nitrous filled over there?

-Daniel

hey, im not on it yet but will have a search and get logged in!! 2 cobras would just be rude :beer: and you will have no probs getting your n2o fix over here!! Its the only way half the civics and rice hatches here can get up a hill let alone win a race :-D

could anyone take a few mins to create me a number of 'essential' mods just to stop me going wrong :eek: cheers fellas :thumbsup:

ChuckV

Established Member
From what I gather, the LDC Chicago Cooling Mod would be a good part to add to the list, even if you're only running 450 or so. As people have said, the Billetflow IRS brace will help keep your car in one piece. If you plan on the car mainly beeing a 400m runner, check out some of these: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/giabIRS.asp

The only place you can really go wrong is with tuning and cooling. As much of a PITA as it is, I would reccomend a custom tune. Not only will it keep you from blowing anything up, it'll also get you extra power!

This is a great thread with info on cooling mods: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189463
Another good one here: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28635

And here's a good place to buy some of these cooling mods! http://www.evanscooling.com/main1.htm If you phone them, they'll be able to set you up. For 500whp, I'd think that the LDC mod would be REQUIRED, and a few others would certainly be helpful.

It might cost you a few thousand US to do it this way, but better to spend 2x as much and have the car hold together longer, in my book. For just the bare bones parts, probably 1.5-2k for 500whp, depending on what kinda prices you can get for exhaust/tuning, and then another 1.5-2k for reliability mods.

Fast Willy

Established Member
The easiest way to get 500+rwhp is to bolt on a whipple or kenne bell and then go from there. You def have the possibly to make over 600 with one of those. The eaton usually maxs out around 550rwhp.

RixSikcobra04

optionblkblower said:
The easiest way to get 500+rwhp is to bolt on a whipple or kenne bell and then go from there. You def have the possibly to make over 600 with one of those. The eaton usually maxs out around 550rwhp.

What he said, KB:beer: ......or get a good N20 tune and make the KB and Whipple boys cry....hehe

I'd put on a KB but the spray is just too damn fun :burnout: :burnout:

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
can you just bolt on a kb or a whipple upgrade kit to a stock terminator and see these figures? I mean with just a CAI and pulley upgrade added?

i take it if i just swapped the eaton for a kenne belle i would need to get cooling upgrades and get the car run on a dyno to map it? Can you map it with the handheld tuners?

RixSikcobra04

koopa said:
can you just bolt on a kb or a whipple upgrade kit to a stock terminator and see these figures? I mean with just a CAI and pulley upgrade added?

i take it if i just swapped the eaton for a kenne belle i would need to get cooling upgrades and get the car run on a dyno to map it? Can you map it with the handheld tuners?

If my memory serves me correctly, just by installing the KB 2.2 onto your stock Terminator will yield ya somethin' like 75 hp up to nearly 500rwhp.

NOW, add 60# injectors, a BAP, TB, a smaller pulley(s), and along with your basic mods of CAI, exhaust, tune, and you can get anywhere from 580-680. I believe that the 580 number is about 16-17 psi, whereas the 22-24 psi pulley will get ya the 650-680 range. All of this equipment will come with the kit. You will need a dyno tune and it can be mapped and logged as you go, but you'll need the initial tune on the dyno.

Although it couldn't hurt, especially if you're gonna go with 20#+ of boost, there is really no need for a extreme cooling mods with this blower. It is very efficient and does not produce nearly the heat that the stock blower produces. This kit is fairly simple to install if you're good at wrenching.

Cost is about 3500 US dollars. Good luck my friend.

ChuckV

Established Member
I would do the LDC Cooling Mod regardless. Altough the KB doesn't run nearly as hot as the Eaton, the main issue is combustion chamber termperatures. More power will always create more heat. An internal combustion motor is pretty heat ineficient, the majority of energy from the reation in the combustion chamber is turned into heat, not kinetic energy. This heat efficiency ratio doesn't really change, meaning that when you add more power, no matter what, you WILL create more heat. If you plan on tracking the car, I would STRONGLY reccomend that you do some cooling mods with the KB.

If you look at the majority of high HP Cobra motors that have grenaded, they haven't grendaded because the internals couldn't keep up with the level of power, they died due to piston damage. They generated too much heat, the coolant reached boling point, suddenly, they have no cooling. Combustion chamber temps skyrocket. The pistons take heat damage, and can even seize up from heat expansion.

My advise would be to email a tuner. They could easily tell you what they think is the best way to reach 500whp, and what, if anything besides the basics, you need to do to make the car reliable.

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
well i guess that settles it for me then!!

My list: KenneBell 2.2 blower upgrade kit with BAP and chip
Cold Air Intake
SLP Loudmouth Cat-back
SLP X-Pipe
Heat exchanger

How does this sound?

edited to ask.... is the LCD cooling mod not a total bitch to fit?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread